Super 3 DP152 Review

8.9
 9.5
reviews (3) 3 comments vote for this gear:
Super 3 DP152 Recently reviewed by: breadfan82, on december 15, 2014

Sound: The Super 3 was kind of an impulse buy for me - I like trying the pickups that are a bit off the beaten path. I'm mostly a metal guy, and have worked with a ton of different pickups, and DiMarzio is quickly becoming a favorite brand for me. The pickup I replaced with this was a Seymour Duncan JB model (which certainly has its merits, I was just looking to try something new) in the bridge position of a Jackson RRT-5 Pro. Amp rig is a Marshall JVM410H and 1960 Vintage cab. The sound of the pickup is supposed to be designed for players that scoop their mids - it allows for a bit more treble without getting "hissy" sounding, and I can attest to that. It's a great pickup for metal - it's hot and responsive, helps fatten up the tone a bit (it helped to warm up the alder body tone of my Jackson), and really handles overdrive/distortion well. But metal is not its only quality, as I've used it for many different settings and styles, and it works great. I wouldn't say the cleans are the worst I've heard (try a bridge model Dimebucker or EMG 81 for cleans. Yuck.), but I will say I don't make a habit out of using it for clean settings. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I find it hard to damage any pickup beyond use or repair, so all I can say is that as long as it's wired in properly (which it is), you should never have any issues, barring any factory defects. It's made just as physically well as any product from DiMarzio, Seymour Duncan, Bare Knuckle, or what have you. It don't see why it wouldn't last as long as I care to use it, so I'm not particularly worried about the longevity. Every pickup I've ever had would get a 10 in this category, and this one is no different. // 10

Overall Impression: As I stated, I'm a metal player for the most part, and I've been playing and experimenting with pickups for 16 years, and for all the pickups I've used in all the guitars I've had, the Super 3 is near the top. Hot, but not too hot. Responsive, but not fussy. Simple, to-the-point installation. Cleans aren't fantastic, but mostly I use the neck pickup for that anyway. I have only used four or five DiMarzio pickups in my day, but they have all been satisfying, wonderful sounding pickups. If something DID happen to it, I would get another. It might not be as popular as some of the other pickups out there, but the Super 3 is certainly worth looking at if you need a versatile, high output bridge pickup for any type of rock or metal. // 9

Super 3 DP152 Reviewed by: bluediamond, on march 26, 2012

Purchased from: Local store

Sound: Output: much hotter than PAF Pro, hotter than Evolution, hotter than Duncan Distortion, less HOT compared to Duncan Blackout in my other RG. Amps: Blackstar HT5, Boss SD1 Boost. Tone: a lot of balls... Very thick, but with presence to cut thru... The highs, while it's not as prominent as in EVO, sounds very "ceramic"... Very wild with plenty of overtones. Together with boosted lows/mids, this pickup is like napalm: compressed, thick, and sticky. And after it stick it Burns with searing harmonics. Metal rhythm tone from this pickup is pure testosterone. Palm mutes sound fat, thick and very menacing. Tight enough for very fast riffing like in industrial/thrash. Clean tone is actually quite nice, loud but balanced, not honky at all. Suitable for bridge only. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Seems pretty solidly built. // 9

Overall Impression: I love how it sound so evil and brutal. I wish it has a bit tamer high end, like the Tone Zone. While DiMarzio describe it as dark, actually I found myself dialling in less treble than the PAF Pro before. The presence is amazing for all out manliness but may sound tiring sometimes. It is in the bridge position of an Ibanez J Custom. Neck through construction, maple center, mahogany wings, maple top, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard. // 9

Super 3 DP152 Reviewed by: xSacrilegex, on april 06, 2011

Price paid: C$ 135

Purchased from: Gilbert Guitars

Sound: This is a bridge pickup with a 25 ohm output. It's very low end driven, but meant to have a pretty tight bass response. It was, as DiMarzio put it, designed for those who like to scoop their mids but wanna keep the mid range boom. It does exactly that. It thickens everything up pretty well, and does stay pretty tight when down tuned. It's meant for mainly metal and hard rock, which is what I play. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Luckily this model has a metal base. Some of Dimarzios models have a plastic base plate that get their screw holes stripped pretty easily. It's nice and sturdy. I'm sure I could rip it out of my guitar, throw it against a wall and scream in a metal rage, and it would be fine. // 9

Overall Impression: Over all, great pickup. I've installed it in my Jackson Dinky. I've read that it sounds TOO fat inside Les Paul bodies, but I haven't tried that. It's balanced nicely, and worth a try ESPECIALLY for those who down tune. I was much more impressed with this pickup than I was with the Super Distortion, which was the base for the Super 2, then this pickup. // 8

More DiMarzio reviews rating category latest review
+ DP177 True Velvet T Neck 8.9 Pickups 02/05/2014