Super 3 DP152 Review

8.7
reviews (2) 3 comments vote for this gear:
Super 3 DP152 Reviewed by: bluediamond, on march 26, 2012

Purchased from: Local store

Sound: Output: much hotter than PAF Pro, hotter than Evolution, hotter than Duncan Distortion, less HOT compared to Duncan Blackout in my other RG. Amps: Blackstar HT5, Boss SD1 Boost. Tone: a lot of balls... Very thick, but with presence to cut thru... The highs, while it's not as prominent as in EVO, sounds very "ceramic"... Very wild with plenty of overtones. Together with boosted lows/mids, this pickup is like napalm: compressed, thick, and sticky. And after it stick it Burns with searing harmonics. Metal rhythm tone from this pickup is pure testosterone. Palm mutes sound fat, thick and very menacing. Tight enough for very fast riffing like in industrial/thrash. Clean tone is actually quite nice, loud but balanced, not honky at all. Suitable for bridge only. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Seems pretty solidly built. // 9

Overall Impression: I love how it sound so evil and brutal. I wish it has a bit tamer high end, like the Tone Zone. While DiMarzio describe it as dark, actually I found myself dialling in less treble than the PAF Pro before. The presence is amazing for all out manliness but may sound tiring sometimes. It is in the bridge position of an Ibanez J Custom. Neck through construction, maple center, mahogany wings, maple top, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard. // 9

Super 3 DP152 Reviewed by: xSacrilegex, on april 06, 2011

Price paid: C$ 135

Purchased from: Gilbert Guitars

Sound: This is a bridge pickup with a 25 ohm output. It's very low end driven, but meant to have a pretty tight bass response. It was, as DiMarzio put it, designed for those who like to scoop their mids but wanna keep the mid range boom. It does exactly that. It thickens everything up pretty well, and does stay pretty tight when down tuned. It's meant for mainly metal and hard rock, which is what I play. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Luckily this model has a metal base. Some of Dimarzios models have a plastic base plate that get their screw holes stripped pretty easily. It's nice and sturdy. I'm sure I could rip it out of my guitar, throw it against a wall and scream in a metal rage, and it would be fine. // 9

Overall Impression: Over all, great pickup. I've installed it in my Jackson Dinky. I've read that it sounds TOO fat inside Les Paul bodies, but I haven't tried that. It's balanced nicely, and worth a try ESPECIALLY for those who down tune. I was much more impressed with this pickup than I was with the Super Distortion, which was the base for the Super 2, then this pickup. // 8

More DiMarzio reviews rating category latest review
+ DP177 True Velvet T Neck 8.9 Pickups 02/05/2014