Super Distortion T DP318 Review

9.2
 9.5
reviews (5) 3 comments vote for this gear:
Super Distortion T DP318 Reviewed by: D1D8ING, on april 29, 2009

Sound: The DiMarzio Super Distortion is a 4 way conductor humbucker pickup. That means that you can wire it so it becomes splitable, which means that you can split the humbucker into a single coil. I've installed it in the bridge position of my guitar. It gives a great classic rock sound (which it is meant to be doing). A lot of bass, little treble. I find the pickup well balanced and not at all muddy. You can take whole cords like A-minor and you can still here every single note of it. The sound is really fat, it has an amazing thickness to it. My guitar is made out of mahogany so it should have a fat sounding pickup in it for maximum usefulness of the wood. The chords are really deep and the high notes also have a thickness to them. I barely use this pickup (humbucker mode) in a clean setting as I think then it gets to fat. But on a high gain setting is sounds amazing, a great shred tone! Nice sustain, nice harmonics. The only thing that I do no like in the humbucker mode is the fact that when I tune down to drop D (or lower) the sound gets to fat, so this is not the perfect metal pickup, despite it's name. If you split the pickup into a single coil you get a crunchier, punchier sound. A brighter sound. I personally do not like this sound with high distortion on because it then sounds really weak and irritating, so I leave it as the humbucker when I do have maximum distortion. But when I play clean things, or bluesy things this pickup sounds great. Roll of the gain and your guitars volume a bit and you will get a classic, 1970's blues sound. In clean it is like every single coil should be: Nice solo notes as well as the rich chords. I am currently using no effects, only a distortion pedal. I play through a solid state amp (transistor) and the sound is still great, just goes to show what quality stuff DiMarzio make. I'm giving the sound an 8 because even though the humbucker mode is one of the best pickups I've heard on high gain it does not really do well with a clean setting. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The pickup seem like it will really last. I've been playing with it endlessly ever since I got it and I haven't heard anyone saying that their Super Distortion suddenly stoped working, it does not seem like able. It seems dependable and strong. High quality materials like every other DiMarzio pickup! I prefer DiMarzio in front of Seymour Duncans because their just better! // 10

Overall Impression: I love the thickness of this pickup and also that it is so variable because of the split function. There is nothing that I hate about it, just a few things I dis-like, the ones I mentioned earlier. I've installed it into the bridge position of my Ibanez SAS36FM (read my review of it). It's a mahogany guitar and I really recommend installing the Super Distortion in a mahogany guitar if you want a fat, thick tone like I want. It's a great pickup that I think everyone should install in at least one of their guitars. It's probably the most classic pickup ever since it was The pickup that started the replaceable pickups revolution. Introduced in the 1970's and it is still the most popular pickup! // 10

Super Distortion T DP318 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 20, 2008

Price paid: € 75

Purchased from: Sweelee

Sound: Output level is very high, very hot. Something like a PAF when ur tone is zero. Something like synyster's pickup when in high gain. It don't sound weird in clean. It still makes you feel that you forget to off distortion when you are playing clean. I'm using it with Laney LX35R with no effects. It can be muddy when there is no tone. Overall it is still quite balanced. I used it in my bridge. I had also coil splitted it. I can play led zeppelin's ten years gone with this pickup splitted. It give you a feeling of a little bit Fuzz when ur tone is all the way up and coil splitted. It stil feels like a Fender stock pickup but it is just that, when this pickup is splitted, it equals to Fender stock pickups on steroids. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It is made of plastic I suppose. There are a few scratches... But it is in the bridge position, so it is quite difficult for your pick to have contact with it... I will depend on it. I play Led Zep, Fall Out Boy, just anything from blues to rock. No metal. I have not tried but my neck is a mahagony so it don't have that very metal thing. It is very versatile. I have got a "les paul" and a tele in one guitar. How versatile can it be? // 10

Overall Impression: I love the versatility. I don't like playing clean with humbuckers nor playing distortion with singlecoils. This had solve my problem. This pickup is also the pickup which made DiMarzio famous so it must have something very special about it. Before burstbuckers, Jimmy page had used this pickup. What I don't like about this is that it sound muddy in clean and you need to turn ur tone up all the way. I install this in my Fender standard tele MIA 2007. I wanted to change to a humbucking pickup but a lot of people kept on persuading me not to change the stock pickup as it is good enough. But it was not what I wanted. After I change this pickup, it become better and I love my tele even more. To people out there Who are not certain aboout changing stock pickups, think about Slash. He endorses Gibson pickups and their burstbucker are good. But he chose Alnico II pro from SD. If everyone artist uses the same stock pickup, will there be more signature sound? I used it in the bridge... Even if it has one for neck, I won't change, because it sounded too good in clean and drive. // 10

Super Distortion T DP318 Reviewed by: paesano, on september 09, 2009

Purchased from: musiciansfriend

Sound: I use the Super Distortion in the bridge position in a Schecter Damien B-52. The output level is great, sustain and pinch harmonics are great. I've had them for over six months and I had them in an ESP LTD F-250 and they sounded great in the bridge position. I've never put it in the neck position. I've been playing them through a Fender Frontman 212R, DigiTech RP80 and a BBE Dual Maxcom Compressor/Limiter/Maximizer. The tone is really clear and balanced. If EMGs scream, these pickups sing. They sound much more musical to my ear than EMG pickups do, they're very versatile and pleasant sounding, not sterile. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The pickups are constructed solidly, no loose parts and feel like they'll last a long time. I've had them in two different guitars and never had a problem with them. Out of the package, they wire is nice and long and easily reaches into the cavity to the pots and the screws and springs are included and well made. There's no rust, or chipped paint. // 9

Overall Impression: I love the way they sound. I put them in my Schecter Damien B-52 in the bridge position, I have great gain and sustain and when played with the neck pickup (DiMarzio PAF Pro) on a clean channel, it sounds clear and pristine. The only thing I don't like is how they fit into the guitar. They don't exactly sit firm like the EMGs did. They stay where you put them but there's not as much control with where exactly you want them. // 8

Super Distortion T DP318 Reviewed by: FlightofIcarus, on february 25, 2010

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend

Sound: (Note that this review is for the full-sized humbucker version of this pickup, not the stacked/strat-sized pickup version, if there's much difference) The DiMarzio Super Distortion is widely considered to be the original high output replacement pickup for guitars. This pickup replaced a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge position of my Jackson DK2M. I thought the JB was a good pickup, but that it was too bright sounding for that guitar. I was also looking for something with more output and "balls" to it. Surely enough, this pickup delivers the goods! It has a nice, thick low end, with screaming mids, and smooth highs, but balances these qualities quite well. It has a hot output level, but in a tasteful way. As the name may imply, it handles any kind of distortion - from classic rock to metal - like a dream. While the cleans aren't amazing, there are certainly worse cleans to be found from other hot pickups. This pickup has sounded fantastic, both on the Mesa Boogie F-50 I recently sold, and the Engl Fireball I have now. If you're looking for a good, high output pickup for everything from classic/hard rock to metal, and aren't sure what to go with, then this one is a safe bet. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Appears to be well made, with no issues of any kind. I'm sure it will continue to deliver awesome tone for some time to come. Never heard of a pickup just "going out" on someone, so I don't see why it wouldn't be dependable! I guess just make sure you get the right spacing (normal or F-spaced) for you guitar if you want them to stay in place as well as possible. // 9

Overall Impression: What a freaking steal for $65! This is a pretty tried and true pickup, and is a pretty fail-proof choice in most mid-high gain applications. I love the tone of my Jackson now. The only thing that would be nice would maybe be some slightly better cleans, but then again, common sense would also suggest you can't buy a Lamborghini, and expect it to get the same fuel economy as a gas saver when you want to slow down. This thing was made to make your amp breathe fire! But I find it does so in a much more musically pleasing way than extremely overwound passives, or actives. Tried and true, and a good deal too. Just get it already. // 9

Super Distortion T DP318 Reviewed by: Krumboltz, on december 19, 2011

Purchased from: JS Music Malaysia

Sound: The output level is high, more than enough to play aggressive music. I installed the pickup in the bridge position of my Indonesian made Tele. I'm currently using a Korg AX1500G multi effects pedal straight to normal PC speaker (with a sub woofer), some times I plug it into my Roland Micro Cube 12 cm (5 inches) x 1. On my cube it sounds super raw, but balanced in terms of bass, treble and mid. Some might say the pickup is bassy, just roll off the bass knob on your amp. Some of my friends disagree with me putting the pickup in a Tele, but when I match the super distortion with the stock Tele neck pickup (middle position switch), the tone can be describe as "gritty glassy hollow". The bridge position switch however, really pops up the "crunch" for distortion, as the name implies. Basically, this pickup is perfect for any song that requires average to plenty of distortion. For cleans, it has that very clear rounded sound, but the pickup is much much more suitable for distortion. The cleans sounds neutral, no attitude. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have been using the pickup for almost a year now, I don't think there will be any problem concerning the life of the pickup. This pickup is really dependable. // 10

Overall Impression: If there is only one thing to hate about the pickup, is the lack of personality it has for clean tones. For Telecaster users, I suggest you get DiMarzio Twang King, superb for cleans and some distortion. // 8

More DiMarzio reviews rating category latest review
+ DP177 True Velvet T Neck 8.9 Pickups 02/05/2014