The Breed Bridge DP166 Review

manufacturer: DiMarzio date: 02/08/2013 category: Pickups
DiMarzio: The Breed Bridge DP166
The Breed bridge pickup is not as hot as the Evolution, but it's got a warm and punchy mid-range coupled with a fat low end that rolls off before it can get muddy.
 9.7
 9.5
 9.9
reviews (2) 2 comments vote for this gear:
The Breed Bridge DP166 Reviewed by: Ippon, on july 14, 2008

Sound: This bridge PU was introduced in '97 and with a DC resistance of 17K, is hotter than the PAF, but less than the more popular EVO. What it delivers is a warmer and smoother tone than the "hotter" pickups. The punchy mids have a fatter low end that rolls off before it gets muddy, perfect for those who like a bit more chug than what the Evo delivers and not as trebly, specially on Basswood bodies like the Ibanez RG series. I've installed this on a Squier '51 (Also Basswood) and through a H&K TriAmp MK II, absolutely slays. It doesn't matter which 4X12 cabs I used (H&K, or Mesa, or Marshall), it doesn't go muddy like the typical PAFs. You get warm, authoritative mids, and fat low end whether you pick hard or chord gently. Very nice upgrade for your basswood body guitars! // 9

Reliability & Durability: Pickups are practically indestructible. The only thing that could go wrong are poorly soldered connections. The probability of the magnets getting de-gaussed is incredibly small. The coil split is a nice touch; however, if you need a single coil sound, you must get a Strat. I can depend on this pickup; or, any other pickups. // 10

Overall Impression: I love its in-between capabilities: hotter than a typical Bridge PAF, but tamer than the much hotter Evo or similar pickups. The in-between DC resistance makes it possible to have very nice mids and Low ends without getting muddy. It is not as trebly or sharp like the higher output humbuckers, specially when cranked through your favorite tube amps. I've installed this on my all Mahogany '61 RI SG; however, it's been moved to my Squier '51 where it shines in combination with the basswood body. // 9

The Breed Bridge DP166 Reviewed by: HGaniere, on february 08, 2013

Sound: With an output level of 356 it is a mid ranged power pickup. Sure it's not as powerful as the X2N, but it's better in my opinion. The sound of it is very bright in mids and if you were to look at it in an equalizer form it looks like an upside down Nike symbol. You can crank all of the treble you want into it unlike most pickups that become muddy once you turn the treble up too high. I use it with a Mesa Dual Rectifier (mid at 4 O'clock, Treble at 7 O'clock Presence and Gain all the way up, bass at 3 O'clock) with an Ibanez Tube Screamer for my distortion channel and an Acoustic simulator with a chorus for my clean. It's strictly a Bridge pickup due to the high output it would be too bassy as a neck pickup. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The pickup has been installed for the past 4 days. The pickup is very durable and it seems like it will last for years from now. I can depend on the pickup and I can see myself gigging without a backup guitar. The pickup is soldered in perfectly, the tone is nice and clean. It's egregious with my setup, but be warned you have to adjust it to get it to sound perfect. You can't leave it too close to the strings nor too far away. It's balanced to my liking and I would recommend it if you dislike the Tone Zone and want something spicier. // 10

Overall Impression: I love everything about the pickup. The high mids it impacts and the sound you get when you turn your tone knob all the way down. It's very good for Progressive Metal playing types, for example if you want to play stuff like Dream Theater and Symphony X. It can handle everything from Blues to the most modern types of metal. I dislike nothing about the pickup what so ever, it was designed perfectly to me and it is my favorite pickup out of all of the DiMarzio's I've tried. I have it inside of an Ash Ibanez 470 with an Edge Zero II bridge. I also have an Air Norton in the neck pickup and it balances great with it. The Breed is the best bridge pickup if you want the sound from The Blood and Tears by Steve Vai. // 10

More DiMarzio reviews rating category latest review
+ Super 3 DP152 9.2 Pickups 12/15/2014