Tone Zone DP155 Review

manufacturer: DiMarzio date: 01/12/2015 category: Pickups
DiMarzio: Tone Zone DP155
This isn't a pickup you're going to get a crisp clean sound from.
 9.3
 9.4
 9.2
reviews (2) 17 comments vote for this gear:
Tone Zone DP155 Reviewed by: justinb904, on september 09, 2009

Purchased from: Music and Arts

Sound: This isn't a pickup you're going to get a crisp clean sound from. It's meant for the bridge position I put this in the neck position of my strat and it has a nice warm and heavy sound with a lot of bass and mid range that has been balanced quite well with just enough highs to Live up to it's name. Long story short, it gives you a lot of tone to play with and isn't muddy at all. You can get even more out of it if you wire it to be used with coil tap/push-pull pots. The Tone Zone's one weakness is highs. The highs don't ring out as much as some people may be looking for but that is not what this pickup was created to do. And the Tone Zone isn't weak either. This is a high output humbucker that can distort the clean channel on my amp when I have my guitar volume high, which some people may not like but I like to every once in a while. In all this gives me the very warm, nice jazzy cleans that I want. Distorted it has a very powerful heavy sound. It's not extremely versatile which is why I'm only giving it an 8 for sound but it provides a good contrast to the Super Distortion I have in the bridge which is what I was looking for. // 8

Reliability & Durability: As far as I can tell it seems very sturdy and very well made. I have never herd of pickups breaking and this one is quite tightly covered other than the two rails coming out the top so corrosion doesn't seem like it will be a big problem. I'm sure it will last quite a while. If something goes wrong, the first thing I will suspect is my soldering job, not the pickup. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this pickup for the warm jazzy cleans and the heavy, strong rhythm it can produce. You always hear people saying new pickups will not change your tone that much but compared to the stock single coils I had in my strat, their is a world of difference and it has achieved exactly what I wanted. Maby not instant eargasm, but I love it. // 9

Tone Zone DP155 Reviewed by: hub93, on january 12, 2015

Price paid: € 50

Purchased from: Second hand

Sound: I'm using this pickup on Ibanez RG1570 via Mustang amplifier with tube preamp in front of the amp. I won't be very original with my style of music. It's prog rock/metal, melodic metal, Satriani kind of stuff. And it seems that this pickup is perfect fit. DiMarzio description of this pickup is highly accurate - this pickup really does take out the "mosquito" sound out of the equation. It is greatly balanced as well. Warm yet very accurate. Not muddy and tight. Harmonics are highly pleasing. All that said - It's not versatile - But I do not consider this to be a downside. Universal things tend to be undefined which cannot be said about this pickup. But it's a reason i give it a 9 not 10. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's a pickup. What can go wrong? It's well made like every major brand pickup. Tightly fitted, nicely done. It looks almost like new despite it's age. There's not much to talk about really. It withstood shipping twice, it comes in a nice box, cable is durable, it's not rusting. There's nothing wrong with it. Material it is made out of seems durable. I've never had any problems whatsoever with ANY pickup - either high quality or stock. So I am quite sure it will work for a loooong time. (And it has done that already.) // 10

Overall Impression: This pickup suits progish style perfectly. It sounds very clean when overdriven which is exactly what I've been looking for. It's kind of weird considering it's resistance (~17Kohm)and quite high output. I've been playing for about 5 years. Not long - I agree. But I've had some experience with different pickups and I have to say that I would buy Tone Zone again if anything happened to it. I have based my choice on reviews and comparison tests. I can't find any downside of DiMarzio Tone Zone other than lack of versatility mentioned before. I give it overall 10 because I like things that are meant to do one kind of thing perfectly instead of doing lots of things "good enough." // 10

More DiMarzio reviews rating category latest review
+ Evolution Bridge DP159 8.9 Pickups 02/24/2015