Tone Zone DP155 Review

manufacturer: DiMarzio date: 09/09/2009 category: Pickups
DiMarzio: Tone Zone DP155
This isn't a pickup you're going to get a crisp clean sound from.
 9.1
 9.2
review (1) 17 comments vote for this gear:
Tone Zone DP155 Reviewed by: justinb904, on september 09, 2009

Purchased from: Music and Arts

Sound: This isn't a pickup you're going to get a crisp clean sound from. It's meant for the bridge position I put this in the neck position of my strat and it has a nice warm and heavy sound with a lot of bass and mid range that has been balanced quite well with just enough highs to Live up to it's name. Long story short, it gives you a lot of tone to play with and isn't muddy at all. You can get even more out of it if you wire it to be used with coil tap/push-pull pots. The Tone Zone's one weakness is highs. The highs don't ring out as much as some people may be looking for but that is not what this pickup was created to do. And the Tone Zone isn't weak either. This is a high output humbucker that can distort the clean channel on my amp when I have my guitar volume high, which some people may not like but I like to every once in a while. In all this gives me the very warm, nice jazzy cleans that I want. Distorted it has a very powerful heavy sound. It's not extremely versatile which is why I'm only giving it an 8 for sound but it provides a good contrast to the Super Distortion I have in the bridge which is what I was looking for. // 8

Reliability & Durability: As far as I can tell it seems very sturdy and very well made. I have never herd of pickups breaking and this one is quite tightly covered other than the two rails coming out the top so corrosion doesn't seem like it will be a big problem. I'm sure it will last quite a while. If something goes wrong, the first thing I will suspect is my soldering job, not the pickup. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this pickup for the warm jazzy cleans and the heavy, strong rhythm it can produce. You always hear people saying new pickups will not change your tone that much but compared to the stock single coils I had in my strat, their is a world of difference and it has achieved exactly what I wanted. Maby not instant eargasm, but I love it. // 9

More DiMarzio reviews rating category latest review
+ DP177 True Velvet T Neck 8.9 Pickups 02/05/2014