Phat Screamers Review

manufacturer: DragonFire date: 06/01/2012 category: Pickups
DragonFire: Phat Screamers
These are high output, ceramic pickups. Very modern sound. 17.5k bridge and 8.8k neck. So far these pickups are incredible. Much better tone and quality than I expected for their price. Very respectable pickups.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 8.3
 8.5
reviews (2) 9 comments vote for this gear:
Phat Screamers Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 10, 2012

Purchased from: dragonfireguitars.com

Sound: These are high output, ceramic pickups. Very modern sound. 17.5k bridge and 8.8k neck. I put them in my old backup guitar, an Ibanez RG320PG, to replace the stock Infinity pickups. Amp is a 15watt Marshall Haze head w/ matching 1x12 cab and an old 1x10 Peavey cab from a VS20 mini stack. Vox Wah, Joyo Dyna Comp Joyo 6-band EQ and amp based reverb and echo. These are very articulate and well defined pickups. The over-sized poles seem to really capture the nuances of my playing and accentuate my weaknesses. Muted they stay very quiet and there's no excessive hum or buzz. Like I said before, these are very modern sounding. Definitely geared towards modern metal and heavy music in general. I can pull pretty much anything from Iron Maiden to Lamb Of God. Detuned they still sound very clear and articulate. They're a little bright at times, but that's probably due to the RG's basswood body. I have my eye on an Agile AL-2000 with a floyd rose and extended scale to put these in and the mahogany body should sort that out nicely. The Phat Screamers definitely have all the tone of a much, much more expensive pickup and are a great alternative to active pickups for players that don't want to give up passives. // 9

Reliability & Durability: They seem to be well made and durable. They are at least as impressive as any of the better pickups I've had experience with. The leads are long. The pickups were unblemished and everything worked perfectly right out of the box. Very easy to install. They have the extra wires for coil tapping but I don't have the proper pots on the RG for that. // 9

Overall Impression: So far these pickups are incredible. Much better tone and quality than I expected for their price. They make the lower end Ibanez I put them in sound just awesome and put the stock Inf pickups to shame. Very respectable pickups. I would definitely buy more. If you want to make your budget guitar sound like it isn't a budget guitar this is a good way to go. // 9

Phat Screamers Reviewed by: sgcollector, on june 01, 2012

Price paid: A$ 43.99

Purchased from: www.dragonfireguitars.com

Sound: Output: 17.5k on the bridge and 8.8k on the neck [give or take a few k]. I got the Zebra versions and installed them into a Tokai EX-50. The reason for this was because the Tokai stock P/U's were not giving me enough grunt when I wanted it. Sound: Amp #1 [Laney HCM120H Solid State Head & Matching 2x12 Cab]: At first play [Bridge Clean] they sound crisp and clear. [Neck Clean] The neck is where it's at, clear and warm and a bit thump for defining those bottom end notes. [Bridge Distortion] Loads of bottom end, Mids seem balanced with the tone and they have got a fair amount of punch. [Neck Distortion] Again loads of bottom end and with the gain up to 10 they almost sound fuzzy which is interesting for lead. Amp #2 [Blackstar Series One Head & 2x 4x12 Cabs]: [Bridge Clean] The bridge now sounds a little hollow but after messing with the E.Q. I was able to fill them out. [Neck Clean] Again thick bottom end but the mids a highs seem well balanced. Having a lot of fun playing blues stuff in the neck setting. [Bridge Distortion] Loads of bottom end but really responsive to individual notes. I am finding that note bends are a lot more defined because of the larger pole pieces. Really good sound for fast solos as I can hear each note loud and clear. [Neck Distortion] Loads of bottom end with a well balanced mid/treble. Again with gain turned up to 10 it gets fuzzy which I am just having so much fun with. Switching between P/Us is cool as there is no big sudden drop in sound. I would have to say these are well matched. If I back the volume off on the guitar the P/Us clean up nice and I am finding that I am getting a whole new sound from these that I was not getting from any of my other guitars which is what I was looking for. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have not had a DragonFire pickup fail as of yet and they seem sturdy enough and this is not my first purchase from this company! Due to the nature of my playing style my stuff gets punished so I have to say that so far I have been able to depend on them do what there meant to. // 8

Overall Impression: Pickup's are subjective to the individuals ears and in some cases mob mentality of what other so called gearheads think in forums. I think these are a little darker than I would like but overall a decent sounding pickup that has the fun factor. The output on the bridge is insane but controllable. Overall bang for your buck in buckets full. Even though I am unable to get the 'Metal' tone I was looking for, I found a really cool rock tone instead. Out of 4 of my friends 3 like them and one just kept moaning about another brand being better so each to there own. Unfortunately if some of you have been driving the Duncan's or any of the other "Boutique" brands you probably won't give these a look in... Bit of a shame really. // 8

More DragonFire reviews rating category latest review
+ Crusaders Set 9 Pickups 07/04/2013