Power Rails Review

manufacturer: DragonFire date: 02/14/2013 category: Pickups
DragonFire: Power Rails
These pickups are great for such a low price. Overall I love the sound. Don't dismiss these pickups just because of the low price, they're just as good as name brand pickups.
 4.6
 9.2
reviews (2) 6 comments vote for this gear:
Power Rails Reviewed by: guitarplayer369, on february 14, 2013

Purchased from: Ebay

Sound: I bought this pickup set to replace the stock PUs on an ESP M-100 (not the M-100 FM which are better than the ones I had). I'll admit they really do sound close to a DiMarzio X2N set. Maybe a little less highs and a tad more bass. For rhythm the bridge pickup has pretty of bite, I feel it is ideal the almost any kind of metal style, but does take a bit of tweaking to get the right tone and sound. The cleans are ok, but not over the top. If the turn down your volume knob you can get a decent clean, but I really don't like messing with my volume or tone knobs at all(just me lol). For a lead tone the bridge is doable, but not the best. With a good bit of tweaking you can get a decent tone, but I'd advise an EQ if you want a perfect tone from the bridge. Now the neck PU on the other hand IMO is perfect. It has a lower output, a little bassier, very clean and is great for sweep arpeggios. The neck is perfect for my needs. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I had this set for a while and they have held up great. Very sturdy build, nice thick wires and very heavy magnets. I had practiced with them and they do hold up. The bridge loses a little definition at higher volumes, but still hold enough to get the job done. The neck PU to me is perfect at any volume and gave me the perfect neck tone I was looking for. I definitely say you could rely on these to hold up and gig with if they are the sound you want. For $30 if they did go bad at least you didn't waste a lot of money. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall for the money spend I can't say they were a waste at all. I was disappointed with the bridge PU because I couldn't get the best lead tone, but the neck pickup more than made up for that. I think the best use for these PUs are for an inexpensive guitar needing something with more punch and for an intermediate to advanced player these PUs would be great for a rhythm guitar. For $30 for a set their worth a try for rhythm, but for lead the bridge PU didn't cut it with me. Definitely a good product and a great value Ebay has some of the best pickups for the money, can't go wrong saving money. // 9

Power Rails Reviewed by: facethisslayer, on june 29, 2012

Purchased from: dragonfireguitars.com

Sound: These pickups are great for such a low price. I was skeptical but I'm glad I was wrong. I got the black on black Power Rails and put them in the bridge and neck position of my ESP LTD V-200 and now its got the best metal tone out of all my guitars. These are pickups have alot of bass to them, even in my ltd which is basswood now has a bassier sound than my Les Paul which is mahogany with EMG's. I play lots of death metal like Suffocation, Nile, Origin and so on so these pickups are perfect for me. I've never played real DiMarzio X2N's so I can't compare these to the real thing. Even the cleans are good too, although they do get a little distorted at high volumes. Overall I love the sound. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I was surprised by the construction of these pickups. They've got a nice weight to them and really nice magnets. I've had them in my V for about 2 months and they still sound as good as they did the day I put them in. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, I'm very happy with these pickups and am looking to try DragonFire's Phat Screamers next. Don't dismiss these pickups just because of the low price, they're just as good as name brand pickups. // 9

More DragonFire reviews rating category latest review
+ Crusaders Set 9 Pickups 07/04/2013