HB-105 Review

9.7
 7.8
review (1) 9 comments vote for this gear:
HB-105 Reviewed by: ShaneCallaghan, on january 31, 2012

Sound: What's the output level like? This thing is based on the Seymour Duncan Blackouts, so Loud and tight, it's a really high output pickup. What amps and effects are you using it with? I'm using it with a Blackstar HT-40 Valve amp and crybaby wah. This thing drives my amp hard as hell. It gives me a really punchy sound and when I'm playing with a band, it cuts straight through the mix. Tone - Bassy, middy, muddy, trebly, balanced? It's a very balanced pickup, not muddy at all. For which positions is this pickup (un)suitable? Its a great in the neck and bridge, I prefer the bridge though. Chugs like a friggin train. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Does the pickup seem like it will last? Yup, massive pickup casing except for on top, for obvious reasons. Has bulky shielded wires connecting them to the pots and pickup selector that won't come loose anytime soon. Can you depend on it? I've used this live a lot and hasn't let me down yet. So aces all round here. // 10

Overall Impression: What do you love about it? What do you hate? I love the sounds I get out of this, it's a serious metal pickup and is perfect for the genre if you ask me. Far better than the EMGs. What I hate about it, is the fact I can pick up radio signals with it when I use my Fuzz Factory. What model guitar or bass did you install this in? It came installed in my Schecter Demon 7 string. It's a nice as hell guitar and this is the icing on the cake, sounds excellent. What position is it in? I have it in the bridge and neck. Final words on these pups, I have the Seymour Duncan version of the Blackouts that these are based on and they are the exact same. Seriously, I don't notice a difference in the tones, harmonics and the tight as hell notes. The only difference I get is the Mahogany shines through a lot more in my Seymour Duncan equipped guitar than the basswood Duncan Designed equipped pickups. // 10

More Duncan Designed reviews rating category latest review