60 Review

8.9
 8.2
reviews (2) 37 comments vote for this gear:
60 Reviewed by: [Azrael], on may 18, 2010

Sound: I decided to get some new pickups for my LTD MH-50 after I had it repainted, wanted to bring the 'upgrading' all the way around, so I bought an EMG 60 to go in the neck (and an 81 for the bridge). I've found that the 60 really is a great pickup. The lead tone you get from it is creamy and full, and if you roll the tone down it sends a shiver down your spine. Slash-esque solos are begged for, Don't Cry and Knocking on Heaven's Door sound amazing, and tunes like Estranged or Sweet Child o Mine also have a great tone- rich, smooth and full. I didn't think it would be possible, but when I flicked it over to the clean channel it sounded even better- it's crisp and great for songs with clear arpeggios or long clean sections or like Metallica's Welcome Home (Sanitarium)or One. I use it through either a Laney LX35D, or a Line 6 PodXT, and it sounds brilliant through either of them. One thing I wouldn't really use it for is for chugging out some metal riffs, I don't think it quite has the meat for it- but then again, I have an 81 in the bridge so it doesn't need to. // 9

Reliability & Durability: So far I haven't had the pickup for too long but it seems pretty solid at the moment- I would only ensure that I took spare batteries to a gig as anything that runs on 9vs is a little risky to run without a backup power source. It seems harsh to drop the score for reliability because of the power sourcing, but I guess that's an inherent flaw until they find batteries that never run out. *Shrug*. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall I have to say I am very impressed with the pickup, it's got great tone and feel and it looks pretty sleek in the guitar too. I love how it can nail clean sounds effortlessly and also give a great lead tone for melodic soloing. One thing I would have to say I dislike is that the tone comes at the cost of 9v batteries which, though they are inexpensive and easy to replace, it's hard to know when they'll run out- even though they last a while it's got to be a little annoying if they suddenly cut out mid-set due to low batteries. I have to say, it's a fantastic pickup for sitting in the neck of any electric. // 9

60 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 13, 2011

Sound: First off, I'm not one for using a bridge pickup often, I like my squeals too much for that. That aside, I am playing a cheap $100 guitar made of heavy basswood with an LTD EX-50 neck attached, and thick gauge strings. There is only one pickup, which is the EMG-60 in the bridge position. I've tried a lot of guitars, but I have never felt such a rich, deep, warm crunch from a bridge pickup. Traditionally this would be used in the neck, and I am looking at possibly getting a second one to add in. The EMG-60 has a very balanced tone, it's good for rythym parts without blending in to the ambiance. It stands out, and has a profound sound that I can't get enough of. Keeping in mind as well I normally play with heavy distortion. However I have also decided to give it a few clean runs, and for the most part the chords sound smooth and warm even without distortion. I would definetely recommend this as a bridge pickup. // 9

Reliability & Durability: As with all EMG's, very durable, very solid and long lasting. I got this guitar after it had been heavily used for a long time... The battery certainly wasn't full, but even with lower battery power it still played amazing. So if the battery ever dies on you during the show, it's more of a blessing then a curse. // 8

Overall Impression: Once more, a single pickup guitar... Bridge position. This made a cheap piece of junk guitar sound like a million bucks. Most suggest it as a neck pickup, and I will probably choose this for the neck position as well. However it's rare someone places it in the bridge. You won't be dissapointed if you do. // 9

More EMG reviews rating category latest review
+ 57-7H 9 Pickups 04/21/2014