81X Review

EMG: 81X
review (1) user comments vote for this gear:
81X Reviewed by: mazerfaka, on may 19, 2011

Purchased from: thomann

Sound: This is the new EMG 81X, from the X-series. It's branded as a more dynamic pickup with a more headroom. The output is high, its a high output mic and there is no problem with playing the most heavy stuff. The tone is fine, much better than I expected, there is a new designed pre-amp in this set that doesn't color the sound. It's a litte bit to bassy for my taste, I had to get the mid up a bit. I have it in the bridge. I always use the Gibson Dirty Fingers pickup, and like that alot more, it's more raw, in your face and a bit higher output, suits my punk/easycore playing better. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It seems solid! It came with a volume knob, a tone knob and a output jack. It's all solderless, just connect the wires and it's done! Easy as plugging in a mouse to the computer. I depend on it! The quick connectors seems to last my jumping and all my rocking out moves. And I rolled the battery in ducktape to get it more soft since I have it in the control cavity. // 10

Overall Impression: I love the solderless installation, it's a blast not to have your fingers burned off everytime you need to do anything. All pickups should be in this system. I installed it in my Hagstrom Ultra Swede. Basswood body, seems like a good match! It's in the bridge position. // 9

More EMG reviews rating category latest review
+ 57-7H 9 Pickups 04/21/2014