DG20 Review

manufacturer: EMG date: 01/14/2010 category: Pickups
The DG20 comes with ivory SA single coil pickups, wired with an EXG Guitar Expander, an SPC Presence Control, and master volume all on a deluxe White Pearl pickguard with white knobs.
 8.2
 7.3
reviews (2) 8 comments vote for this gear:
DG20 Reviewed by: whospinkfloyd, on march 31, 2008

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Sound: I've got to say these are the best pickups available for a Strat. They go from a tele sound to full blown humbucking w/o any noise whatsoever. I use a Zoom G2, Boss OD, Digi Death Metal, valve Junior/Cavin Vintage series Bell Air (both tube) in stereo. Sometimes I really crank the distortion and they sound great. They sound better than any other pickup through solid state too. I have EMG 81/85 in a humbucker guitar, the DG20s can sound like these but go in farther extremes. I would recomend these pickups over the 81/85. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can definitely rely on them to sound good 100% of the time I usually go around 9 months before changing the battery. The only downside to these pickups (which is also an upside) is that they are active which means they sound better, but they run on a battery, not a big deal to me but it is to some people. Note: unplug your guitar when you are done playing, leaving it plugged in will drain the battery. // 10

Overall Impression: What I love about these pickups is that you basicly have 4 guitars in one you have Tele (bottom tone down top tone up), Strat (both tones down), LP, SG etc. (bottom tone up top tone down) and my favorite, strat on steroids (both tones up) I have it on my Mex Strat it made a huge difference vs the old pickups I just dropped the scratchplate it comes assembled in in a matter of minuits, soldered a couple wires and I was off playing not beliving my ears. // 10

DG20 Reviewed by: lank81, on january 14, 2010

Sound: The EMG DG-20 set gives you a large palette of sound choices if you are looking for something that isn't Vintage. If you want to make the pickups middy, bassy, trebly, or flat you can do it. The EMG DG-20 set does not have your standard tone knobs, no, it has the EXG and SPC controls. The first knob controls the high and low eq. It starts with a flat EQ and you can really crank up the highs and lows while leaving the mids flat. If you choose to use the SPC control you boost the mids. If you are looking for that scooped sound leave the EXG flat or slightly bumped and crank the SPC. These pickups are quiet, clear, and concise. You'll hear a lot of detail and you'll be able to play a lot different genres of music but you won't hear that Vintage tone. You'll come close but nothing will sound quite like that single coil quack. Also, the neck seems to be much hotter than the bridge. I'm not a huge fan of this which is probably why I play the middle pickup and bridge a lot more. It just seems to suit my tone. I was also playing these through a Fender 65 DRRI w/ a Big Muff, TS9, and Carbon Copy. Those are my main weapons on my pedal board. Check out this website to hear the difference between some Vintage single coils and the EMGs. You can also see some of the settings that Dave uses on certain songs. Enjoy! // 8

Reliability & Durability: The pikcguard is a nice standard 11 hole white pearlized pickguard. The wiring is modern but done nicely. I've used these for about 50 hours and the battery is going full strength like its the first day I put these in. For a pre-wired pickguard these are done nicely and should hold up over time. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, if you want to transform your strat in to a jack of all trades guitar this is the set to get. You can play metal, blues, pop, etc. It'll cover them all but it won't fit one bill perfectly. I actually just took these out of my setup so I could put in a set of CS69s because I wanted that Vintage Fender tone. If you don't mind missing out on the true Vintage tone then consider these before you buy anything else and you'll probably be pleased. I put these pups in to 2007 MIM Fender Std. Strat. // 8

More EMG reviews rating category latest review
+ EMG ALX W ABQ 9.1 Pickups 06/28/2013