EMG ALX W ABQ Review

9.7
 8.5
reviews (2) 8 comments vote for this gear:
EMG ALX W ABQ Reviewed by: srob7001, on may 03, 2010

Sound: This is the new signature pickup that Alexi Laiho designed with EMG. It is basically a passive HZ-H2, but it has a ceramic and steel magnets.The ABQ Pre-amp has a Push-Pull Pot with an adjustable boost in the down positon. The ABQ Pre-amp has a 3-position dip Switch that allows the resonance of the pickup to be altered to a variety of fixed frequencies. The out put with this is adjustable because of the adjustable boost. I believe you can max it out at 20db. Which IMO is alot more than you will ever need. I keep mine at like 4db(lowest setting) I put this PU in my Jackson RR24M and it screams. I replaced the EMG 81 it had as I am just not too fond of the sound they produce. More dynamics can be heard with it as it is a passive PU. The clean sound with this PU is very dull....it's not bad, but don't expect single coil chime with it. But I didn't buy it for clean. It is a metal PU by all means. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It has been reliable and durable so far. I mean as long as you know how to wire it up right you shouldn't have any issues. It has also been as durable as I need it to be. I just play at home and with friends for fun and it hasn't let me down once. // 10

Overall Impression: What I love most is the ABQ adjustments. You can really change the tone this PU produces just by changing the resonant freq switches. The PU itself is also very good for heavy stuff. I also play blues and it does that well too. This PU is very similar to a PAF style PU, so that tells you what kind of sound to expect. Almost vintage... until you turn up that gain, then this thing is ready to melt faces. // 10

EMG ALX W ABQ Reviewed by: DelValleKidd, on june 28, 2013

Purchased from: www.Prosound.cl

Sound: Hi everyone! I have 15 years of guitar shredding, and I have this pickup mounted on a Jackson RR custom. Indeed it's a passive pickup, a modified EMG-HZ 2 with ceramic and steel magnets. The highlight is the Booster (ABQ), which basically it's an EMG Afterburner Preamp, with a 3 band EQ. I'd searched many information about this preamp before buy this, and in terms of quality seems to be superior than the Jackson JE-1000 Booster (the one that Alexi used on his stolen Jackson RR) and inferior than the MM-04 (which it's included in the ESP Alexi's signature models). This feature makes this pickup in extreme versatile; you can make it respond like an active one turning the booster on, or make it "passive" just keeping it off (by pushing/pulling the volume knob). Thanks to the regulable gain control you can go even from substracting gain (very useful to improve the clean), to very (seriously) very much gain, enough to burn an small solid state amplifier (and I'm not joking). Also you can improve the versatility by exploring the posibilities with the 3 BAND EQ, which have 3 pins, for "high", "mid", and "low" frecuencies ranges. The default configuration (the Alexi's setting) it's "high and low on, with mid off", it will make blistering high distortion tones, but excessive bright and muddy clean ones, making peaks on the sound wave that make your signal clip even through a compressor. Otherwise if you boost the mids and lows, scooping the high frecuencies the clean tones improve considerably, putting out something around Alnico II - V / PAF / Neck PU / Vintage Humbucker tone, but definitely different to it's ceramic nature. Of course I have mine installed on bridge position, on a single-humbucker Jackson RR custom (alder body, rosewood fingerboard). As I said, if you add gain and boost all the frequencies you can get an impressive blast of massive distortion. To be more specific, it's very sensible to dynamics, and every "little noise" that you make while you're touching the strings, it's really well perceived by the pickup magnetic field, then compressed (not too much), and boosted by the pickup preamp making the sonic sensation of "extra dirt", on the high distortion settings. To my ears it's like EMG85/SD Blackout Mick Thompson but more closely to DiMarzio D Activator X Bridge, conforming a very nice mix between the "organic" of a passive, and the compression and gain of the "active" pickup, an interesting feature which is not achievable by a simple EQ or boost pedal. I'm running through my "all terrain combo": NS-2 -> SD-1 -> DS-2 -> CS-3 -> MT-2 -> CE-3 -> Line6 Floor POD Plus -> mixer console. The boost works pretty well with the overdrive and distortion pedals. I also had tested it "line directly" on a Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier, and a Marshall JCM 2000, and the result is, to put it in a simple word: a "nuke" (but in detrimental of the clean tones, obviously). With distortion it makes some base noise (like the most of the passive PUs) which increases in high gain settings. But when I use the NS-2 Noise Supressor I can completly reduce the undesirable noise to zero. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Pretty well made, the bottom plate it's vacuum sealed, and to give you an objetive hint of durability: I've changed the hardware screws on my guitar at the same time that I've installed this pickup, I always have the caution to clean the hardware before put the guitar back to the case, AND the hardware screws have started to rust FIRST than the metal components (magnet screws, plate) on the HZ-ALX. Note: no fancy, just common pickup mounting hardware screws, obsessively cleaned after each use. The counterpoint it's that you depend on the function of 2 devices (pickup and ABQ) to keep it in properly function. Whatever, in plain sight, the ABQ looks reliable too. The wiring it's mainly (not totally) solderless and the owner manual covers the installation instructions comprehensively. // 9

Overall Impression: PROS: - Very versatile, if you are a Hard Rock / Heavy Metal, and you love the sound of passive pickups instead of active ones, the tone for you it's here. You just need time tweak the right preamp configuration. - Organic "passive/PAF" behavior (dynamics, color) with high gain output. - It's passive, so it would not leave you in the middle of the show if you forgot to change the batteries. Also the EQ works even without batteries. - You can reach pretty convincing clean humbucker sounds. CONS: - You really need some time to deal with all the combinations to finally find your tone (to sit down, unscrew/screw the back control cavity and test each setting). - Doesn't seem the best choice for a longstanding "active pickups" guy. I prefer describing the ALX-HZ as a "super passive" pickup rather than some kind of "active" one. - It's a humbucker, so the clean tones will be dark and fat. Not expect a stratocaster super-clean single coil sound. - It's noisy (rectifiable with a noise supressor). I hope I've been helpful. Greetings. // 9

More EMG reviews rating category latest review
+ 81 8.9 Pickups 06/17/2013