Dark Star Review

8.5
reviews (2) 1 comment vote for this gear:
Dark Star Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 03, 2013

Purchased from: ebay

Sound: A very warm tone but can distort well with any other high output pickup and squeal just as loud. This pickup actually has no variances in the output between the neck and bridge versions. I have mixed the neck version up with bridges of other pickups but the sound of this pickup melds well with pickups that have high treble and can stand to have some kind of bassy compliment. I have this with an Entwistle X3 pickup which is a dual bladed humbucker and the combinations of sounds I get between the two when both are activated or one or the other is extremely wide, especially for the kind of music I play. Can you say tap solo with a subtle warble a la Tom Morello? // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've never seen a pickup decide to snap in half yet nor has the plate fallen off of any of the pickups I have ever seen or used. The magnet is DAMN strong and actually overpowered my bridge to the point that I had to lower this thing and raise the bridge. The pickup was pretty much good to go right out of the package, pretty much a drop in and play. My only complaint comes from the silly looking text on the bobbins, 3 different kinds of font and a star outline you would see on a 4th graders notebook kind of hurts my eyes but I suppose that isn't really a problem is it? // 8

Overall Impression: I have it set in a partscaster that I'm always tinkering around with. I have this in the neck with an X3 in the bridge coming up with cool sounds. I'm always excited to pick up and play this guitar just because of the sounds I get with this guitar. There is also a model with a Neodymium magnet in it to make this pickup even hotter. My next step is to figure out how to rub off the text of this thing... It's a beautiful humbucker but I just want the text gone... Maybe if you somehow are inclined to get one of these things, ask if you can get it without the branded bobbins. // 10

Dark Star Reviewed by: SizorBlade, on july 23, 2014

Price paid: € 50

Purchased from: E-Bay

Sound: Got them as an interesting swap on my Yamaha 121's stock ones. The sound is really bright and squeaky clean making it an awesome pair for clean tones, although the do miss some low-end witch makes them a little bit unsuited for distorted rhythm guitar. These pickups are actually 4-conductor witch allows splitting and parallel wiring. The single-coil/splitted sound can be compared to the mid range fender tones, giving it a bright touch on bridge and a more worm feel close to the neck. They are generally pickups made for clean/solo guitar and they handle distortion in their own unique way. Pretty good for distorted lead guitar due to their insane clarity, but they are also not very forgiving to slappy picking noise. Have tested them on a Spider Line 6, a couple of Masrhalls, and a Randall Dual Rectifier and they were pretty good. As long as blues and more vintage kind of sound goes they seem to go pretty well on the trebly/chunky playing as and some more blue tones. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Their construction and the overall product seems to be very carefully made. The pole pieces can be adjusted and the 4 conductor wire allows for lots and lots of experimentation. It seems they are on a pretty solid condition well screwed and well waxxed. They came in a shipping folder, pretty good protected with and addition of a candy treat, witch I supposed is delivered to everybody... delicious! Pretty happy with the overall views and shipment, as it also came with the screws and everything needed to mount the pickups to your guitar // 10

Overall Impression: As far as my little project goes I am very satisfied with them. 50 euros for the set is pretty decent. Many people compare them to Seymour's, but no. It's not that they luck quality, or they are worst or better. They are just different. Generally I can't say they are satisfying, at least for the progressive Vai-ish tones I am going after. They only thing I could wish for more, it would be a tiny little more of low-ends, as the clarity gets a little too much sometimes... Definitely worth checking out. // 8

More Entwistle reviews rating category latest review
+ HV-58 Plus 9.2 Pickups 06/03/2014