Neo-D Magnetic Soundhole Review

manufacturer: Fishman date: 08/08/2008 category: Pickups
The Fishman Neo-D is a value-priced cousin of the famous Rare Earth pickup. The Neo-D shares the same neodymium magnet structure for exceptional string balance and sparkling acoustic clarity. The Neo-D's low-profile, high-impedance design needs no battery.
 6.6
 7.8
 5.3
reviews (2) 2 comments vote for this gear:
Neo-D Magnetic Soundhole Reviewed by: sam-sg, on january 05, 2008

Purchased from: Sound Control

Sound: As this is a sound hole pickup, it is best suited in the neck position. For the money, the sound this pickup gives is great; if a bit 'bassy', but nothing a good ol' mess around with the EQ settings on your amp. It is a shame that there are no onboard controls. I am running it into a Vox AD50VT electric guitar amp gut this suits my needs perfectly. I use a Boss GE-7 to change the EQ slightly and this works great. On the downside, there is a bit of noise from the pickup but that is to be expected from a single coil. There is a humbucking version for a little more money though. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have only owned it for the last couple of days but the workmanship seems ok to me. The 10ft lead that comes off the pickup though is not too great. It feels a bit flimsy and you cannot remove the casing on the jack so I do not know what I would do if it broke. For just sitting down playing/recording or whatever it seems fine. // 6

Overall Impression: My overall impression is that if it broke, I would buy a new one. Honestly. The worst thing about it is the lead coming off it. Ideally, I would fix it with an endpin jack but as of yet everything is okay. In my cheap, but rather good, dreadnaught acoustic, it sounds great. // 8

Neo-D Magnetic Soundhole Reviewed by: Chrois, on august 08, 2008

Purchased from: Internet

Sound: Since the pickup itself is just a soundhole pickup you fasten in, it does not possess any tone controls of its own. This makes it rather hard to manage given my amplifier. I'm currently using a Roland Micro-Cube so all I have is a "tone" knob. The sound overall is relatively well balanced, although seems a bit biased towards the mid/treble side. The bass sounds a little muddy and weak, but on the other end of the spectrum, the treble and mid are quite strong and bright. The higher end has excellent sound quality despite the lower end lacking. Overall the sound quality is excellent. I have only used the pickup by fastening it parallel to the bridge, as close to the neck as possible, so I cannot make any real comments about the positioning of this pickup. However, the sound is excellent when in this position (which I believe it is designed for). Since this is a magnetic pickup, electric strings would actually work best for it. I have used heavier gauge electric strings on my acoustic and compared them to acoustic strings. The result was that the electric strings gave higher output, were overall louder and of better sound quality and sustain with the pickup. Acoustic strings sound very muddy with the magnets and the volume needs to be jacked up a lot. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The main pickup itself seems like a rock. It's finished nicely, and seems sealed up really well. The strength of the pickup seems like you would be able to drop it and it would survive (although this is not advisable because dropping it could make the magnets inside lose magnetism). It attaches via two clamps on the sides, which are cork lined so it doesn't wreck your guitar. These clamps are fastened by screws. This method of attaching feels extremely stable, as once fastened, I can't even move the pickup when trying to shift it with my hand. This seems a very strong, reliable method of fastening the pickup (plus it's removable for when you don't want it). However, the lead itself seems a bit flimsy. The wire and it's insulation doesn't feel like its too great quality, and the plug feels looser than other leads (although it holds). The lead itself goes into the pickup, and is not attached to the pickup where it enters so it seems like if you pull too hard, it may break. I haven't used it much outside my home, but I feel like I can really depend on it. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a great pickup. I currently have it on my el cheapo Ashton DM25-NT, but with electric strings currently on there so it sounds quite decent. The nature of the pickup means that it is lightweight, portable and most importantly, easily removable and replacable when I want it or don't want it on my guitar. If it broke or was stolen, I would definitely purchase another. // 9

Comments