Lil Killer Review

manufacturer: GFS date: 11/16/2012 category: Pickups
GFS: Lil Killer
Twin adjustable single coil pickups reside within the Lil Killer. It's wired with four conductors, so just add a push-pull pot and you can instantly go from humbucker to single coil without adding any holes to your prized Strat. You probably will have to slightly open op the cutout on your pickguard to accomodate the Killer's body, but not much. Get the Strat sound with some Fat humbucker "Punch".
 Reliability & Durability: 9.7
 7.5
 8.8
 6.1
reviews (3) 12 comments vote for this gear:
Lil Killer Reviewed by: 6...6...6..., on november 16, 2012

Sound: Sounds great. I bought a set of three so I can play all kind of music with them. The bridge is pretty high (15k), perfect for metal. The middle is not that high(10k), great for clean solos. The neck is pretty low, almost to low (6.5k), but great for most kind of playing styles. The set is great but I, d like a higher neck. I don't usually like trebly pickups, but they has got a fuller sound with great attack. I allways set high treble and bass to get better harmonics and more power. // 8

Reliability & Durability: They are just as good as Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio but still not expensive. I use that guitar every time I play with my band and everyone loves the sound. Combine it with a Gibson SG and you, ll have rihc sound that allways can depend on. The Lil Killer will last. // 10

Overall Impression: I love the attack. The perfect lead sound. I have played about three years so I'm not that good when it comes to this, I just play extremly good. I put it in a J&D strat copy 'cause I love the guitar but it sounded horrible. Now the guitar sounds great and I play almost anything with it. My band plays a Deep Purple cover called Black Night and along with a Gibson SG as rhythm guitar it's close to heaven. // 8

Lil Killer Reviewed by: AJ6stringsting, on november 16, 2012

Sound: Strong output (15.28k ohms) for a S, S, S configured, Rosewood neck, soft Maple Super Strat in the mid position. Similar to a DiMarzio Fast Track 2 with slightly more highs, slight upper midrange, fat lower mids and huge bass response. A 10 on this guitar, it was an ideal tone. On the second guitar it was put in a 1980's Kramer American series guitar with an S, S, H configured Ash Body, a Maple neck with 3 DPT switches to select pick ups. This pick when mixed with a DiMarzio X2N (bridge), it's got fat chugging rhythm when palm muted, get great harmonics but when all three ((B) X2N, (M) Lil' Killer, (N) B.L. L-250). This pick up delivers a tone that's dead on George Lynch tone on Dokken's "Back For The Attack" tone... I rate it a 10 and half! // 10

Reliability & Durability: The pick up looks great... Bad part I used stainless steal pick for tone. It's very well wax potted, the chrome on the rails give it a regal look and the tone is enormous. The pick up gave great thumpy bass when mixed with the X2N, it compensated the X2N's lack of bass due to the routing slant on my Kramer. // 10

Overall Impression: I may install this pickup in the bridge on Strat, just to see how it smokes. If some one uses 500k ohm pots, you'll get more treble response. The pick up delivers what I want it combined well with a Carvin M22SD pick up on my Home Assembled Super Strat and it fattened up my old 1980's Kramer with a DiMarzio X2N. // 10

Lil Killer Reviewed by: Castiel, on november 16, 2012

Purchased from: Guitarfetish.com

Sound: Very high gain type of sound for strat pickups, The calibrated set isnt really worth it though. Could be my wiring but my neck pickup has almost no value to it. Bridge and middle are awesome though. Again might be my wiring, I'm switching the entire setup soon, will post updates on that. Playing through random Amps, Line 6 spiders, Roland Cube 30X, Microcube, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube, Fender Superchamp XD. Tone is good but a bid middy and trebly. Make sure to EQ them to you're taste. This pickup does not work well on cheaper made strat style guitars. They love mahogany and alder, if you have a tremolo you better have a good solid sustain block, else they tend to sound hollow without EQ on cheaper guitars. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Seems like it will last, it's a pickup, pretty solidly made. Have never had it fade or drop tone. Potted and sealed well. Looks great too! The chrome hasen't faded, chipped, flaked nor tarnished, just give it a nice cleaning every once in awhile with a q-tip and some rubbing alcohol. Has plenty of wire on the leads so cut down to size, wires are wrapped twice too. // 9

Overall Impression: Currently have them in a franken-strat SSS with a GFS wilkenson trem bridge in all positions. Bought the calibrated set. Giving them a 7 overall ratings because of the hollow sounding. They sound better on a fixed bridge or older strat style trems with solid steel blocks. Will give updates soon. // 7

More GFS reviews rating category latest review
+ Premium II Alnico II Hand-Bevelled Strat Set 4.7 Pickups 05/03/2013