PB Pro P Review

GFS: PB Pro P
review (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
PB Pro P Reviewed by: ethan_hanus, on november 16, 2012

Purchased from: www.GuitarFetish.com

Sound: The output is relatively low, since it's a Vintage voiced pickup, but it's still way higher than the old crappy Ibanez GIO stock bass pickup that it replaced. It's much clearer sounding, and maintains it's clarity pretty well, even in low tunings. I'm using this pickup with a Trace Elliot RAH350SMX bass amp, and using the line out and my monitors as speakers. The tone is very bassy on the bass strings, I'm not a very experienced bassist, but in my experience it's a very dark voiced pickup for a bass guitar. It does start to cut through pretty well on the higher frets though. It only fits in one position. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The pickup seems like it'll last, but I hate how the pickup cover is not attached by any means to the coil, I had to take some foam, shove it under the coil, and wrap the bottom in tape to keep the pole pieces from falling out of the pickup cover and into the guitar. I don't think the pickup will ever fail, but I wouldn't rely on it 100% just because of the pickup cover issue, cause the distance of the pole pieces really affects the output, and if the coil falls into the guitar you'll prolly loose all output. // 5

Overall Impression: It's alright of a pickup, I would of liked more output so I wouldn't have to push the amp so hard, and a lot more clarity when hitting multiple notes would of been nice. It does get a nice Vintage funk tone, which is a lot of fun to jam around with. I put it in my el cheapo Ibanez GIO bass guitar, and it's in the only position the guitar has, middle. // 6

More GFS reviews rating category latest review
+ Surf 90 9.6 Pickups 09/04/2014