Power Rails Review

manufacturer: GFS date: 11/16/2012 category: Pickups
The overwound coil and the super hot magnets make for a super efficient motor. The Power Rails can hang with even the hottest active pickups!
 7.1
 8.7
 5.4
reviews (2) 2 comments vote for this gear:
Power Rails Reviewed by: vadge46, on november 16, 2012

Purchased from: www.Guitarfetish.com

Sound: I will say that for $36 dollars, the output of these pickups is something other. They have a high output and it is very crunch but clean at the same time. Depending on if I have Distortion on or not. When you adjust your tone knobs right you can get the Neck pickups to sound like a dimebucker. The tones can really range from anything. it's suitable for all kinds of music, but more specifically rock and metal. You can actually purchase the pickups for a neck or bridge, so you get the best of both worlds there. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The pickups were very clean when I pulled them out of the box. They fit just fine in my Dean Vendetta, and looked really good. I would really consider these as first resort pickups if I went gigging. I think that they could really last a while. I think that for the price, even if something did happen to the pair I have now, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another pair. // 10

Overall Impression: I really love the sound that it produces. Very powerful, and deep when in the bridge position, with the tone around 6 (I like that sound, even on my cheap Crate GFX-30. (but especially when hooked up to a tube amp). I also liked the looks of them. They were very clean and kind of broke away from the naked humbucker look. Kinda of like a Zakk Wylde kind of look. // 9

Power Rails Reviewed by: tim_mop, on november 16, 2012

Purchased from: guitarfetish.com

Sound: I've put a set of these in a Westfield les paul copy, (a pretty cheap guitar) and they've beefed it up a dream. The guitar goes through pedals, DigiTech hothead mainly and into a Laney LC30. The clean tones I like for them, they have a nice clear bright sound, but really people buy these for the distortion. These pickups are probably the best in their price range for rock and metal. Their sound is well balanced, I found the bridge a bit too crunchy but that's preference. They sound really good, with just the right bass response and a good mid range. In particular I like the neck pup. When I have money this is going in my strat neck too because the sound is just so hot! // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've had these in for probably about a year now, have replaced all the crappy electronics with guitarfetish stuff and it all works well. I do have a buzz when not playing, but I think that's a grounding problem rather than a pickup thing. They are in my main guitar so I depend on them for everything, and I play a lot, from rock and metal to jazz and jesus music. They work well for all. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, for the price, bloody good! I don't think I'd find a set this good for such a price anywhere else. I may change the neck pup for a DiMarzio breed, but with more expensive pickups you expect a better sound. Though the Power Rails could give some expensive pups a run for their money. All in all, a good buy. I've found my perfect neck pickup. Very good! // 8

More GFS reviews rating category latest review
+ Premium II Alnico II Hand-Bevelled Strat Set 4.7 Pickups 05/03/2013