Soapbar 180 Review

review (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
Soapbar 180 Reviewed by: sgcollector, on november 16, 2012

Price paid: A$ 77.9

Purchased from: www.guitarfetish.com

Sound: These are a standard size Soapbar pickup with a humbucker inside. The bridge P/U output is around 13k and the neck is around 10k. Guitar is tuned to C sharp. Amp [Blackstar Series One Head & 2x 4x12 Cabs]: Clean & OD1: Bridge Clean - Warm, crisp and clear with really cool midrange bite. Neck Clean - Warmer again with the same crisp clear sound and midrange bite. Bridge Distortion - Wild! A good blend of Bass & Tone. The mid punch is awesome. The sound of this pickup just cuts through a mix like a HOT knife through butter! This pickup suprised me because I just did not expect it to have such a ballsy sound. One big open chord and I was in Sabbath territory. Multiple fast chord progressions put me in Carcass territory. Plenty of chug yet articulate enough to define each note with out turning to mud. Neck Distortion - This has a sound of it is own with distortion. Warm, articulate, mean mid punch with a tight edge. Pull the volume back and the pickup turns into a heavy blues monster with a thick edge. Serious fun! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have a few GFS pickups installed in various guitars and to date none of them have failed. So I would have to say that these seem to have been manufactured well and will last the distance. I think you can depend on these to do the job for a long time to come. // 10

Overall Impression: The guitar with these installed is a Tokai SG-SP, purchased with the purpose of playing late 60's Pete Townsend type stuff. The original pickups were really noisy and I had no control over the amount of feedback they produced. However after installing the GFS Soapbar 180's I found that C sharp just sounded better/heavy and now instead of a rock monster I have a metal monster. Big surprise that these sound as good as they do. I recommend them, I just wish GFS would do a dogear version! For the money it was a great buy and has filled a void of sound in my collection of instruments. Some of these budget pickups really are good and I like that there are makers knocking out good stuff for next to nothing. // 10

More GFS reviews rating category latest review
+ Premium II Alnico II Hand-Bevelled Strat Set 4.7 Pickups 05/03/2013