Surf 90 Review

9.7
 9.5
review (1) user comments vote for this gear:
Surf 90 Reviewed by: ferdius, on september 04, 2014

Sound: This is a single coil pickup, humbucker sized encased in a metal case that is designed to recreate the sound and vibe of the old Dynasonic and Dearmond pickups. The pickup features Alnico II magnets and came with installation instructions, pickup ring and mounting screws. The sound is very strong, very trebly without being too brittle. I have installed this pickup in a Squier Bullet Tele HS model that was sold by Guitar Center. I have a GFS TC Alnico Tele neck pickup which is a standard style tele neck single coil in the neck and it works great with this pickup. In the bridge position, the Surf 90 gives a great tele sound with more "balls." Combined in the middle position with the neck pickup, and you are talking 1950's style vibe, plain and simple. For an inexpensive pickup, the sound and overall quality of this pickup is beyond impressive, it's freaking unbelievable. Straight out I give it a 10, cause it rates it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This pickup is solid, I don't anticipate any problems with it. I work with electronics, and I can tell that the attention to detail for this pickup is very good. I also have a GFS Alnico TC Tele neck pickup that I have remove the metal cover and now I have a guitar that I am super jazzed about. Before installing it, I had emailed Guitar Fetish about my choice and they responded immediately, and didn't hesitate to answer my questions. The one other thing that I forgot to mention is that the pickups are designed in the U.S. by the people at Guitar Fetish. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall this pickup has impressed me greatly. While I have it installed in a Telecaster, I could see this pickup being used in a SG which would give it a sort of guild vibe from the '50s and '60s. While you would think of it as a "surf" or rockabilly type pickup, I find it gives a rootsy, swampy "Creedence" vibe which I am liking. It sounds great clean, and handles distortion really well, but with just a little "dirt," this pickup SINGS!!! Maybe it's because it isn't the hottest, or maybe it's the Alnico II magnets, but I'm really liking this pcikup, and this guitar is now my favorite. Because of the sound and quality of this pickup, I am going to purchase a set of Alnico II humbucking pickups from GFS for my Special II Les Paul (yes a Special II, with the alder/maple body that just rocks). Don't rule out GFS, if you don't have a lot to spend on pickups, these are very good quality for very reasonable coin, and really improves your guitar's sound. // 10

More GFS reviews rating category latest review
+ Premium II Alnico II Hand-Bevelled Strat Set 4.7 Pickups 05/03/2013