VEH - Vintage Extra Hot Review

9.6
reviews (4) 17 comments vote for this gear:
VEH - Vintage Extra Hot Reviewed by: BH7697, on november 16, 2012

Purchased from: www.Guitarfetish.com

Sound: The bridge pickup is wound to 11.2k and the neck is 9.4k. They were made specifically to recreate what EVH used back in the day, low output pickup through a high gain amplifier cranked full. I bought the bridge pickup only, and a Crunchy PAT for the neck, for my budget guitar upgrade/restoration of my 1970 Ibanez Les Paul. I play on various amps, from a Boss GT-6 through a PA, and I recently spent a solid 2 hours jamming a 5150 III a my local Long & Mcquade. Boy they sounded sweet. At high gain, these pickups have a tight but big sounding crunch which doesnt't even sound muddy. When you roll off the gain, the clean sound is decent at best. I found that it was too tin can sounding, it lacked the low end, but then again that's why a good neck pickup comes into play. Bottom line, if you want a cleaner crunch even at the highest gain settings for the price, this will let your notes Shine through, without the muddiness some low end pickups produce. It does come with the ability to be coil-tapped, as do all GFS pickups, so I don't know how it'll sound because I haven't coil tapped them, so I don't know how they'd sound. // 8

Reliability & Durability: For the price, I believe I'd put one in every guitar I owned, but yet again each of my guitars won't be unique to each other. The instructions that came with the pup is very straight forward, and since this was my first installation of pickups, I did a pretty good job and they sound great. I'd depend on it for sure. // 9

Overall Impression: Bottom line, I love these pickups. They let your notes ring out clearly through even high gain channels and it produces a heavy bottom end with it. It was supposed to emulate the possibility of recreating EVH's Brown Sound, and I think it's pretty close. Only thing I wished is that because of it's low output compared to my neck, it's clean sound sounds a a little weak. I put this pickup in the bridge position of my les paul, and it sounds great. Pinch harmonics are easier, and my sound couldn't sound better for such a low price! If you have 40 bucks lying around, weak pickups needing an upgrade, and a soldering iron, then order a set of these! You'll love them. // 9

VEH - Vintage Extra Hot Reviewed by: andy474x, on november 16, 2012

Purchased from: GuitarFetish Website

Sound: I bought this pickup to put in a Fender Mex. Standard Strat, and for my needs it's a perfect fit. However, I didn't buy it with the "EVH" sound in mind (at least not totally). I wanted to have the versatility of a humbucker in my formerly SSS strat, and when I saw this on the GFS website, it got my attention. I have a set of Fender CS '54 pickups in my strat, and I thought the Vintage Extra HOT would be a nice balance between Vintage tone and a boost in output compared to the single coil in the bridge position. After installing, I found this pickup to actually be very close to the 54's in output, and if you know anything about the 54's, they're some of the lowest output pickups around. There's a little bit of boost, but not nearly what I expected. That being said, it still balances very well and I've been happy with it despite it not being what I expected. It has a pronounced mid presence, which is something I prefer in a humbucker because it pushes an overdriven amp nicely. I found a 500K tone pot to make it too bright, so I switched it to a 250, but keep in mind this is a maple neck strat, so brightness is to be expected. After moving to the 250, it's got a great balance. I don't care for the super clean tones very much, but when you split this pickup it sounds almost exactly like a normal single coil. Very twangy, country-ish tele sound, which is perfect for cleans and light overdrive. Overall, I'm giving it a 7 because I feel that it doesn't sound exactly as advertised, especially in terms of output, but for what it is, it does sound very good. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Seems to be decently well made, the cloth wrapping around the coils could be a little more dense, but overall I haven't had any problems. Then again I don't really focus on the build of the pickups, it's more about sound to me. It's survived several shows no problem, and I guess if something goes bad, it's only $35 to replace. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, I definitely think this pickup was worth the $35 I spent on it. The humbucker mode has a nice mid emphasis with added bass, and the split coil sound brings me right back to a Vintage single coil, so I still have all the classic strat sounds. If you have a super high gain amp, this might get you Eddie's sound, but it's not going to magically make you sound like him all by itself. Definitely worth a shot if you have a Vintage themed strat, but want humbucker versatility as well. // 8

VEH - Vintage Extra Hot Reviewed by: randomguitar56, on november 16, 2012

Sound: The VEH is a very magnificent bridge pickup which I find suitable for all types of guitars and can cover a wide range of styles. I tried this through a variety of modeling amps, (Mustang, G-Dec etc.) but it also sounds incredible through a variety of tube amps. I installed this in my Fender MIM in the bridge with 2 single coils in the neck and middle. The output was just a little bit louder than the single coils, and it made a good match with them. However, in a Les Paul or SG it might be not loud enough compared to the neck pickup. I know I will get some nasty comments about this, but I installed it backwards because I liked the sound better. I did not hesitate to hit some AC/DC and Journey. This is the perfect pickup for that. Surprisingly, Van Halen wasn't exact but I think this is because of my distortion.It is a rather bright pickup, but smooths out in the higher notes. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've never broken a pickup (or for that matter seen someone break a pickup) so it's fine. It's a bit (barely) wobbly in the pickguard, but that's because of the pickguard not the pickguard. I can definately depend on the bad boy. Ten I guess. I'd probably give any pickup ten out of ten. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this is one of the best pickups I'd played.l I'd buy it again, and I think it's incredible. I did use 250k pots because of the single coils, and I think this pickup couldn't sound better. I got the Zebra Bridge model. It came packed up really good, and the instructions are stellar. I am planning to do a lot more shopping there in the future. Love it. // 10

VEH - Vintage Extra Hot Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 27, 2013

Purchased from: www.guitarfetish.com

Sound: I have this pickup set up as a neck position pickup, so naturally it's going to be a bit more mellow than the bridge position windings. Let me tell you, this is a really articulate and clear sound - almost twangy, reminiscent of that classic Telecaster sound. Without any distortion and set fairly far away from the strings, this pup can make your chords sing out with how much mids this thing can catch and put out. Up close and this thing starts to dirty itself a little bit and gives a nice natural crunch sound, a good compliment to a high output pickup made for metal or hard rock. This thing also takes distortion and fuzz really well with the amount of mids his thing gets. As a bit of an amateur with electronics, this was also the first pickup I ever coil-split. Remember when I said this thing sounded twangy almost like a Tele? Even more so when split at the neck, twangier clearer, and wonderfully bright. The distortion possibilities widen even more because this pup lessens the distortion and cleans up nicely to the point of almost sounding like a new guitar entirely. So the guitar I have this installed in? Nothing special, I only have it in an SG Special, 500k push/pull pot, and a newly installed bone nut. I'm not sure if you'll find that all useful but it seems like some of you are nitpicky on the equipment used in these reviews. Also, it might help to know that this pickup uses an Alnico V magnet. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I just got this thing fresh from the factory so I wouldn't exactly know when it'll clock out on me. It's handled some pretty extreme climate changes from desert, to snow storm, to my friend just got out of a HOT shower and let the steam come into the room with all of the equipment, but after nearly 2 and a half years of owning this thing it still sounds as clear as ever. It was easy to install into a push/pull pot because of the 4-wire conductor, and handled my n00b soldering skills much better. I also had to take it out and re-install it because I was an idiot and went through a VERY experimental phase with some weird pickup combinations (it's currently in combination with a Crunchy Rails humbucker for the bridge but that's another story). // 8

Overall Impression: So the clarity of this thing in the neck is a good alternative to the natural crunch and trebly sound of the rails I have currently installed. People have come up to me asking about the rails and I tell them a good story of how my guitar sound came to be and often times I get complimented on how the clean sound of my guitar rings (they have no idea that it was all my neck pickup that does the clean voicings of what I play). It's a wonderful classic 6 pole pieces, 6 screws look that never gets old. I LOVE this thing. // 10

More GFS reviews rating category latest review
+ Premium II Alnico II Hand-Bevelled Strat Set 4.7 Pickups 05/03/2013