Texas Loco Review

8.7
review (1) user comments vote for this gear:
Texas Loco Reviewed by: richastro, on march 30, 2011

Purchased from: Axtec.co.uk

Sound: Nice sounding pickups. Really didn't expect much from the price but they are a great improvement to my stock squiers. Great texas blues tone, maybe not SRV (no pickups gonna give us THAT tone- its all in the fingers after all) but certainly usable for some great overdrive tube riffs and shuffles. For the price you certainly can't go wrong here. Nice cleans, with a little more grit and output you'd expect from the name, which suits my playing, great for Hideaway (King/SRV). // 9

Reliability & Durability: The pickup has been in (actually I have got the neck and middle in)for around 5 months so can't say much, seems well built to me. Came well packaged. The winding of the pickup seemed well done. I had some trouble wiring as this was my first mod, but the IronGear people were very helpful and friendly. // 8

Overall Impression: I think for 28 you can go far wrong with the IronGear Texas Loco. It gives great sounds that put together with Fender texas specials, I doubt many of us would struggle to see much difference given the price difference. I was considering getting these and upgrading to the Fender texas specs but now I'm not gonna bother, they do my strat good. The team are helpful, their products seem to get really good reviews everywhere so i think these are hiddem gems deserving of more attention. // 9

More IronGear reviews rating category latest review
+ Hot Slag 9.7 Pickups 06/07/2010