OEM PAF Pickup Review

Kent Armstrong: OEM PAF Pickup
review (1) user comments vote for this gear:
OEM PAF Pickup Reviewed by: Goldtop11, on march 31, 2011

Purchased from: WD Music Products

Sound: This pickup sounds absoulutly amazing. It has a even output that isn't overly loud or soft. It is very responsive to the volume knob on the guitar. It tends to be more bassy since I have it in the neck position, but I would describe it more as a smooth sound vs a muddy bass sound. I acually rarely use my bridge pickup (A Kent Armstrong OEM Distortion) for leads, because this has a Killer lead sound. I use a Marshall DSL 100 half stack through a Peavey JSX cab, a Laney VC-15 combo and a VHT Special 6 combo. The OEM PAF sounds amazing through all of them and retains it's smooth character while adapting to the sound of the amp, which I believe is the best attribute of any pickup. I have guitars with Seymour Duncans and I must say, while I do love my Seymour's, they just don't have the same amazing sound as this pickup (or the other OEM Distoriton.) // 10

Reliability & Durability: This pickup is about is about 8 years old and I have never had a problem out of it. The wires seem sturdy and have never shorted on me. There's not much else to say, because I really don't know how your could break a pickup without doing something stupid... Lol. // 10

Overall Impression: My father builds guitars and installed this pickup as the neck pickup on a guitar for me. This guitar has been my #1 since I've been playing (I've been playing for 6 years) and this pickup is a large part of why. It sounds great for solos and clean work and works great with any amp and pedal combination I've tried. I even have confidence in it if I have to play another amp at a venue or something, because this pickup always provides the sweetest tone possible from that amp. This is by far my favorite pickup. // 10

More Kent Armstrong reviews rating category latest review