Sensor Hot Gold Review

manufacturer: Lace date: 01/12/2012 category: Pickups
Lace: Sensor Hot Gold
This pickup sparked my love for Lace Sensors. The sound is perfect for what I play.
 4.9
 9.7
review (1) 3 comments vote for this gear:
Sensor Hot Gold Reviewed by: n_tracyKC, on january 12, 2012

Purchased from: Owen's Music

Sound: I bought a Lace Sensor HOT Gold for my standard Strat's neck position, and I fell in love with it immediately. It has incredible Vintage Fender vibe, clarity, and dynamics. I play my Strat through a '59 Bassman with a TS808 Tube Screamer for overdrive and a Boss Space Echo for delay/reverb and they sound perfect with this pickup. I think the HOT Gold is rated at 6.0k, so its a fairly low output pickup. I liked it so much I bought another for the middle position and my friend bought one for his guitar because he also loves the sound of them. I've never tried a HOT Gold in a bridge position, but I imagine it would sound lovely. The HOT Gold has full low end, and sparkling highs. Beautiful balance. My sound is very influenced by Hendrix, SRV, John McLaughlin, Radiohead, Nirvana, RX Bandits, The Dear Hunter (and so forth, I could go on forever), and I get an awesome sound for any of those styles with this pickup. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I bought this in sixth grade from a music store where a friend of mine worked, and I got it brand new for half price. I've never had a problem with it and it's been in my main guitar for almost 10 years now. It probably gets played 2-5 hours a day and it just sounds better as time goes on. It's very well built. // 10

Overall Impression: This pickup sparked my love for Lace Sensors. So far I have purchased two Lace Sensor HOT Golds (planning on buying another soon), a Lace Sensor Blue, and a Lace PS905 (their version of a P90), and they all sound perfect for what I play. I've only installed them in two different Stratocasters before, but I gave one to the other guitar player in my band and he put it in the neck position of his custom Warmoth SG. We both love the way it sounds. Since I've never heard a HOT Gold in a bridge position, I can only truthfully recommend it for bridge/middle positions. However, Lace is a fantastic company and I have tried 3-4 of their other pickups in bridge positions and they are always nice. This is my favorite pickup from Lace but I would highly recommend trying out as many of their pickups as possible because they all sound so different but spectacular at the same time. // 10

More Lace reviews rating category latest review
+ Tres Hombres Single Coil 9.4 Pickups 01/16/2014