Tres Hombres Single Coil Review

manufacturer: Lace date: 01/16/2014 category: Pickups
Lace: Tres Hombres Single Coil
This pickup has great treble and a solid THUNK in the bass notes. It is the tele neck pickup on steroids.
 9.4
 9.7
review (1) user comments vote for this gear:
Tres Hombres Single Coil Reviewed by: ferdius, on january 16, 2014

Purchased from: Amazon

Sound: Bought this pickup to replace the strat sized humbucking pickup in my LTD MV-100 guitar to go along with a Powered By Lace humbucker I put in the bridge position. In simple terms, this pickup has blown me away. This is the best single coil in a neck position I have ever heard and owned. This pickup has great treble and a solid THUNK in the bass notes. It is the Tele neck pickup on steroids. Works great with my tone control and is loud and strong enough to stand on its own for not only chords, but lead work. Like having an extra guitar cause it is different from the bucker, but in the middle position BANG, and new sound. I couldn't find many reviews on this pickup, so I took a risk and am I ever glad I did. There is a little single coil hum but the sound of the pickup more than makes up for it, worth the hum. For a neck pickup, it has a surprising strong treble sound without getting to glassy, and palm mutes are a dream with this pickup. This pickup also handles distortion/overdrive extremely well. From a sound standpoint, this pickup is a gem, I don't know why many people haven't heard too much about it, cause plain and simple, it's a great pickup. // 10

Reliability & Durability: While the base is metal, the top part is plastic and I had to do a little shaving of it to fit in my guitar. The pickup came with a wiring diagram so putting it in was a snap. Overall, it is a solid pickup, and the three metal bars on the top give it a cool look. After installing it, I put through some paces and had no problems. Lace seems to put a lot into their pickups, even these which I believe are foreign made, but to their specs, and if you see the pickup, you'll realize that it doesn't look like anything else on the marked. I don't think I'll have too many problems with the pickup, it looks good and sounds great, and I can't ask for more. // 9

Overall Impression: I play a variety of music, and had a particular sound I was going for in my head and this pickup nailed it big time. This is the 5th guitar I have swapped pickups on, and the first time I have used the Powered by Lace pickups and I am a fan for life. I was thinking of using GFS pickups as there is not a lot of info on PBL pickups, particularly this one on the web, and while not a boutique pickup, it is a solid, great sounding pickup, period. I use a Fender Champ SE 25 watt tube amp with a distortion, overdrive and a Zoom 707II pedal and it sings with any of them. I wanted this guitar to have a "tele" groove and this pickup delivered the goods. I believe this pickup would work great in a tele in the neck position. For a pickup in this low price range, it easily matches up well with higher priced pickups. I took a chance, and I won, nuff said. // 10

More Lace reviews rating category latest review
+ Huntington 8 Electric Guitars 01/10/2013