AHB-3 Mick Thomson EMTY Review

8.8
reviews (3) 7 comments vote for this gear:
AHB-3 Mick Thomson EMTY Reviewed by: BradG4, on june 02, 2010

Purchased from: iMuso

Sound: I have these pickups in a completely custom Vintage V99 Les Paul and through my Marshall Valvestate 2000 the output is deafening! With the stock Wilkinson pickups I had before at volume at 2-3 it was a descent level of volume now at the same volume I have to turn down to avoid complaints. Through my Marshall and Les Paul they sound warm and deep in tone. The high ends are sharp but not too harsh and the low ends are pounding but are not overwhelming. I have both the bridge and neck pickups and before I wouldn't ever touch the Rhythm pickup but now with the new pots as well I am more inclined to experiment as they are so durable. The treble pickup is awesome for those chugging riffs, leads, anything you can throw at them. I play mainly Metalcore and thrash with this guitar and they are perfect for them now but I also play clean pieces in drop C (EString tuned to D) and get crisp tones that actually sound acceptable from an electric guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: They're built like tanks! I didn't fit them, I had a local luthier fit them and he couldn't believe the build quality from them and I quote "These make EMGs look like Squier's of the pickup world". My inly concern is the battery, being active pickups, I would always but a fresh set in for gigging. // 8

Overall Impression: I would recommend these to anyone remotely interested in playing any form of rock. If I was gig them a lot, which I aim to do, I would use my Boss-NS 2 to cancel any excess noise, which us considerably less than the old passive pickups. // 10

AHB-3 Mick Thomson EMTY Reviewed by: man_on_the_moon, on march 17, 2011

Purchased from: Bills Music on Ebay

Sound: The output levels on these pups are fantastic, these pickups scream in the nicest way. Pick slides sound great, harmonics are top notch! These pickups have some good tone the bass and mid are not too intense as some might think for a Mick Thomson signature. The treble stands out great and the thing I love most is the tight bottom end. I can get all the tone of Drop D in Drop C or B which with other pickups would have been a bit muddier at times. The response and sound is great. The cleans are really good powerful cleans. The neck has more punch and has a bite with the treble. The neck pickup sounds great nice and thick with great tone for chords. If you Switch on both it sounds nice especially with some reverb. These are best suited to metal and drop tunings but that's because its most outstanding qualities are put to great use, this is definitely well rounded. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had these for years and years so I cannot account for long term durability but everything seems so solid! Seymour Duncan knows how to make some choice pickups and these are no different. These are dependable they're quiet if you mute the strings no loud buzz. If there is any buzz either the pickups are too high or just lower the volume to say 9 or 8 and it should sound prime. // 8

Overall Impression: I love the searing high end and the tight low end. Great clarity in the tone never run into a muddy chord yet playing as low as Drop A. These are responsive and sound great paired together. I love the look of them, they didn't come with pickup rings included. I myself picked up a chrome pair of pickup rings. The seven on the side is nice looking too. Everything about these are sharp I would definitely recommend these! // 9

AHB-3 Mick Thomson EMTY Reviewed by: guitarplayer369, on may 21, 2013

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend.com

Sound: The pickup I got was the AHB-3 bridge position. I had purchased an ESP LTD M-330R and the stock ALH-200s weren't cutting it for me. I could tweak my amp and use effects like an eq to get the sound I wanted, but the problem with that is it then sounds really processed and you end up hearing more distortion and effects than you actually would the pickup itself. The problem with the stock pickups I had were they sounded decent clean, but when adding distortion they sounded weak and muddy. I was debating between going with either a EMG 85, EMG 85X, SD TB-6, SD AHB-1, DiMarzio Crunch Lab (or something from them) or this one. I decided against going with a passive pickup because the guitar was already wired for actives so I figured I'd keep it that way. I didn't want to use an EMG 81 because to me personally it's too thin sounding, very compressed and not the most colorful sounding pickup. I was highly against going with the SD AHB-2 because from the sound clips I heard it would not clean up at all and to me sounds like it's only good for metal (and didn't sound that great for some styles of it). So what I did was listen to other sound clips of pickups that used a mahogany body like mine with a Peavey 5150 amp or something comparable and this pickup to me sounded the best in the bridge. I'm currently running my guitar in drop C and the low end is so tight I lose absolutely no note definition at high volumes. This pickup has a lot of output and turn my 5150 crunch channel into metal machine. It has enough highs for good presents, the mids are not majorly cut and in a band mix these pickups cut right through easily. I was surprised how well these pickups clean up when you roll back your volume knob and use the clean channel (in fact I was shocked lol) There were not a lot of reviews on this pickup and since I got it I figures I may as well share my experience with them. I have no regrets so far. It also helped that I got a $20 off promo code from MF to save even more money, love it :). BTW, if you're wondering pinch harmonics are very easy to hit with this pickup. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have not use this pickup for very long, but it seen to be well built. Installing it was not the hardest considering I only had the unsolder and resolder 3 wires. I did have one problem, the bare wire and white wire were not separated that well and I needed more leway to solder the wires. Luckily I had a wire casing remover tool that did the trick. When I go to replace the neck pickup I'm just going to get an EMG wiring set since this pickup already has a 3 pin connection just like the EMGs and I won't have to go through that hassle again. I honestly feel you could gig with these pickups once set in right not only because the pickups have a sturdy build, but also because these pickups cut through the mix, have a lot of output and are very colorful. Easy to hear :). // 9

Overall Impression: For the style of music I play which is mostly heavy duty metal, the guitar I put this pickup in and the amp I use I'm extremely happy with the sound I'm getting. I don't think there is such a thing as the perfect pickup for every guitar player, style or guitar itself and really up to your own ear to decide if this pickup is right for you or not. I'd say the best purpose for this pickup is for extreme metal and extreme drop tuning because of the real tight bottom end, heavily colored sound and the high output. I wouldn't recommend this pickup for playing blues, country, southern rock or jazz, but maybe some people that play those styles may disagree and find these pickups useful, anything's possible. Now that I have this in the bridge position the next thing I'm going to do is decide what to put in the neck position. I'll be looking for something a little cleaner that makes sweeps patterns ring out and sounds smooth. Any ideas? // 10

More Seymour Duncan reviews rating category latest review