APH-1 Review

manufacturer: Seymour Duncan date: 01/11/2013 category: Pickups
Seymour Duncan: APH-1
Warm, moderate-output humbucker. Great for jazz, blues, classic rock and slide.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 9.3
 9.1
 9.5
reviews (4) 8 comments vote for this gear:
APH-1 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 29, 2009

Purchased from: Ebay

Sound: This pickup is called the Alnico II Pro Humbucker, or APH-1 for short. There are a few artists using this pickup, but obviously the most famous one is Slash, former lead guitarist of Guns N' Roses and current guitarist of Velvet Revolver. Just by listening to old GNR songs and watching old GNR concert videos you will see the thick, warm tone of the APH-1. It really excels in the neck. Right now it is in the neck position of my Epiphone Les Paul Standard. It has a great clean sound that sounds very creamy and warm with chorus. With some (but not too much) chorus on and a little bit of reverb, it is probably the best clean sound I have ever heard. I run my LP through a Marshall AVT5. I have a DigiTech RP250 (amp modeling OFF) in the effects loop for stomp box style effects like chorus, EQ, delay, etc. The clean sound is fantastic. On the dirty channel, with the right settings it has a very Slashy tone. Turn the tone knob down a bit and you'll get even closer to his sound. However, the APH-1 is a low output pickup, so it needs a bit more gain. However, this does not mean it is muddy. It is bassy but Slash has a very bassy sound and he has great tone. It is very thick, warm and creamy. I would say the EQ for the neck version is like Treble 7, Bass 9 and Mid 8. It's decently balanced and if you want a thick sound, this is the one. I don't have the bridge version, so if you want to see what both positions sound like, listen to Slash! One complaint I have is that it has low output so you need a bit more gain. One thing I forgot to mention is that since its an Alnico II magnet there is more string vibration thus more sustain. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Well if it was lost or stolen, my LP would have gone with it. I think it would be reliable and yes I would depend on it. Seymour Duncans are made pretty well. If it breaks down, I can contact them, but too bad I got it from Ebay, because I can't return it obviously. // 9

Overall Impression: I love its thick and creamy sound and I love the fact that it has more sustain, especially on a Les Paul. However you have to be careful with the Bass setting on your amp. Usually you would want a bassier sound to get Slash tone, putting too much will make it muddy. This thing is really great for blues, classic/hard rock, and slide guitar. Jazz would be probably an ideal genre too because of its thick sound. Theres not really anything I hate about it, but I wish it had a TAD more output so it could cut through the mix better. I have this in an Epiphone LP standard. I have a JB at the bridge. With this setup I can get powerful and agressive rhythm sounds and singing lead sounds feom the bridge, and from the neck I get a very Slashy lead sound that is oh-so creamy and smooth. I also get great clean sounds. Butter and bite! To wrap it up I have to say that this is an excellent pickup and one of Seymour's best Neck pickups. I heard the bridge is pretty good too but the Neck really sings. // 10

APH-1 Reviewed by: Johnny Lingo, on august 05, 2010

Price paid: C$ 100

Purchased from: Used - Kijiji

Sound: The Seymour Duncan APH-1 Alnico II pickups are mid strength output pickup with a nice mid-range tone that is nice and clear. I run it through various effects and pedals, but mainly a Peavey Vypyr 30, using many different amp models and effects. Suitable for both neck and bridge, which is my setup. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have several Seymour Duncan pickups installed in various guitars. A pair of SH-1 59's in an Ibanez ART100 Les Paul, and an Invader SH-8 in the bridge position of an Ibanez RGT42DXFX, and and they are all high quality in both sound and manufacture. I am sure they will last and I depend on them almost exclusively. // 9

Overall Impression: I have these pickups installed in an older Ibanez AS73, a "lower end" hollowbody. I didn't mind the stock pickups, but they didn't really do the guitar justice, as the construction and feel of it are better than epiphones at less than half the cost. Wow! They brought out the tone of the guitar very nicely in all pickup positions, both clean and high gain. I love the tonal fit in a hollowbody with these pickups, and really am impressed my blues and classic rock/metal tone. I don't play a lot of jazz, but what little gets tossed in sounds pretty damn good, too. I am really impressed with this model of pickup in the guitar they are in, and would expect similar results with a nice Les Paul or SG. // 9

APH-1 Reviewed by: Arutha19, on february 04, 2010

Sound: Both my pickups are APH-1s and both excel in their positions. I'm running them in an Ibanez S520EX (mahogany body, ebony fretboard) into a Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Satchurator then into a Valveking Royal 8. All this give me a lovely warm distortion which when you roll the volume up really wants to scream. The pickups are absolutely essential to this as they add a lovely warmth to the bridge pickup noise for great rythm playing at 3/4 volume and a nice bite and cut to balls-out, aggressive lead. The neck pickup is a lovely mellow and bluesy noise at 1/2-3/4 volume but crank it up and you get a great screaming lead noise that begs you to play right up at the top of the fretboard. The only thing about this setting is its a bit too woolly for my taste down below the 5th fret... But its useful for some things... Take either of the pickups below 1/2 volume and they clean up great. The neck pickup gives you a nice chime for some finger-picking stuff with the bridge giving you that nice country sparkle. I wouldn't reccommend this to all-out metal heads and even then those of us (me included) who use quite a lot of distortion may find that to get your tone just right is a bit of work but once you get to know the quirks of the pickups it takes considerably less time and fiddling. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I know I can depend on these pickups. They've been in for 3 years now and I've never had any kind of problems with them. I can't see me owning a guitar (well... One with humbuckers) without putting these in it. They're pretty much essential to my tone. As for the tech support... Well I can't comment, as I said I've had no problems with them thus far and hopefully I never will. // 10

Overall Impression: I love the sound of these things... I love how easy it is to get warm, creamy rythm without sacrificing a great lead tone and I especially like how responsive they are to volume and picking dynamics. They clean up great, they get lovely and warm about halfway and when you screw everything to 11, if you've done it right, they're articulate and responsive. They're reliable with a great tone wherever they are, all-in-all a great pickup for the expressive and blues-minded of us. // 9

APH-1 Reviewed by: xXkriegyXx, on january 11, 2013

Price paid: A$ 100

Purchased from: Size Music

Sound: I have this pickup in the rhythm position of my guitar. It is a moderate output pickup and this suits its tone. It has a very nice crunch and warm tone. It sounds great in my Les Paul playing some guns n roses with that warm crunchy tone. The tone is very well balanced but it doesn't have much treble but that suits me quite well. Io play this through my Line 6 amp and it sounds amazing when I have the amp on my crunch sound and playing some amazing rhythms and switching it everynow and then for my solos. I have this pickup with an alternative 8 by Seymour Duncan in the bridge and those two sound amazing with the bridge a high output and then that crunchy rhythm. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would depend on this pickup. Just by looking at it you can tell its well built and feeling it in my hands it is tough and would withstand anything. I don't think I'll ever have to replace this pickup. This pick up is made well, when installed it is very stable and would withstand anything that you bump against it or anything. The electrical work in the pickup is very very sound. The wires are top of the range and I don't see any faults happening with this pickup at all so I can just forget about the electronics of it. // 10

Overall Impression: this is a great pickup for anyone looking for a moderate output pickup for that warm crunch tone. It sounds amazing in my Gibson Les Paul playing through my Line 6 Spider. Its amazingly well made and if you buy this you will have this for longer then your guitar would last. There isn't one thing I hate about this pickup it is very good for rhythm but I wouldn't use it at all for the bridge position because it doesn't have that high output to cut through when you play live, I have the alternative 8 as my bridge which is very high output and that cuts through then I have a nice solid rhythm. // 9

More Seymour Duncan reviews rating category latest review