APS-1 Review

manufacturer: Seymour Duncan date: 06/03/2008 category: Pickups
The hand ground Alnico 2 magnets and moderate windings (Heavy Formvar wire) yield a warm, sweet tone with more natural string vibration for great sustain. Players who get their distortion from the amp rather than the pickup love the APS-1. It allows them to back off the crunch and get beautiful clean tones with softer attack.
 7.4
 9.3
 5.5
review (1) 15 comments vote for this gear:
APS-1 Reviewed by: :..*lazy*..:, on june 03, 2008

Purchased from: GAK.co.uk

Sound: This staggered single coil has a moderate output that is great for bluesy tones. It provides a very Vintage blues sound that is mellow and only gets sharp when you pluck it hard. I normally use it with a Marshall MG15DFX with a little gain. too much makes it sound very noisy, as it is a singlecoil. For die hard Pantera fans, I would find another pickup. The tone is bassy and has some mids, but not a lot of treble unless you pick very, very hard. I would use this in a neck position as it provides a more warmer, bluesy tone. I'll give it ten as I love it's sweet, mellow tone. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Oh yes, this will last for ages! I don't think there is any problem with the reliabilty or durability of this pickup. I have gigged with it twice on two very big concerts and it never let me down. The only thing that I will nag about is that it has a removable pickup cap- great if you want to customise it, but not good if you want to box it up or store it without the cap. The exposed coils might get damaged this way, so keep the cap on! Otherwise this is a very durable pickup. // 9

Overall Impression: I installed this pickup in my rubbish Squier Affinity Strat and I got an incredible tone boost. It's sweet, mellow tone is very beautiful to listen to and is great for blues. I didn't like the fact it can be exposed to coil damage and that I had to use a butter knife to widen the holes in my pickup cover to accomodate the staggered poles. BUt all in all, it is a lovely pickup. I put it in the neck position for a lovely warm ryhthm tone. It rules in the neck positon, I highly reccomend it. // 9

More Seymour Duncan reviews rating category latest review