Black Winter Review

9.3
review (1) 6 comments vote for this gear:
Black Winter Reviewed by: spn_phoenix_92, on september 19, 2013

Purchased from: eBay

Sound: Ok, being the first review for these pickups yet, I'll try my best to really go into depth of how these things sound. I'm using this in an Ibanez RG421QM (mahogany body) through a Peavey Vyper modeling a 6505. The output, is by far, the best I've used in a passive, ever. If it was possible to literally melt faces by shredding, these would make heads explode. I play lots of metal (BFMV, Amorphis, Feared, For Today, etc.) so the tone is perfect for me, great low end for chugging, extremely clear mids, & nice highs that aren't overwhelming. What's best is how clear this pickup is with cleans. It really hit me by surprise when I heard how much they tone down, cause usually high output pickups have terrible cleans, but this one, especially the neck, has crystal clear cleans. You can also get many other sounds out of it. Cleans? Check. Country? Check. Classic Rock? Check. Black Metal? OF COURSE! I've tried many pickups before, & after all these years, I've finally found my match. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Seymour Duncan pickups are built to last, they really know what they're doing when creating these. I don't know anyone who's had any bad experience with Seymour Duncan pickups or with them failing out or needing replaced. I'm not too sure how this thing could be worn out, unless you really abuse your guitars, but I would bet my soldering would give way before this thing ever will. I highly doubt I will ever replace these things, I'm planning on putting more of them in some of my other guitars too, & I've got my other guitarist friends wanting them in theirs. I'll give it a 9 cause open coil pickups just seem like they would get damaged easier. // 9

Overall Impression: Well, it's a Seymour Duncan, plus it's the perfect pickup for what I play, so what's not to love? All blacked out open coil humbuckers with old gothic styled font logo printed, deep chugging lows for rhythm, articulate mids & screaming highs for leads, it's just perfect. The look & sound are so sinister, Death himself would use these if he played guitar. I've got a set of these in my Ibanez RG421QM, & am planning on getting some custom black nickel covers for these with the gothic font print, cause I'm just more into covered pickups. Overall, I say this is the perfect pickup. Maybe not for all you Les Paul fanatics out there who play blues & stuff, but for us metal heads, there is no better passive than this imo. Maybe I'm just biased, but I freakin love these things. // 10

More Seymour Duncan reviews rating category latest review