Hot Rodded Humbucker Set Review

manufacturer: Seymour Duncan date: 01/12/2015 category: Pickups
Seymour Duncan: Hot Rodded Humbucker Set
I just love the versatility and the tone difference between the two pickups.
 9.9
 9.8
reviews (2) user comments vote for this gear:
Hot Rodded Humbucker Set Reviewed by: Clark Griswold, on january 12, 2015

Sound: Received these as a gift. Installed them into my Epiphone Les Paul 100 series. I never liked the sound of the pickups in it so i never played the guitar that much. This rig is now my "go-to." 100% improvement, I now have a cheap LP with a kick a-s sound for a fraction of the cost. They suite any type of blues/rock style from full clean to full distortion. One Note: this set came with a new set of LP pot's, so the guitar has all new internals. They do distort my solid state amp clean channel, but It's solved by just lowering the volume on the guitar itself. // 10

Reliability & Durability: These are very well constructed pickups, I would recommend taking the rig you want to put these in to a luthier for installation. The solder contact points are fairly small. You can easily ruin these by doing a poor installation. No modification was needed on the Epiphone LP, they fit right into the neck and bridge positions the existing screw holes lined up perfect. Minor adjustments to the pickup heights were needed, but it was 1 turn/.5 turn adjustments. Like all possessions, as long as you treat them right, they will last a long time. I'm very impressed with these and now toying with installing another SD set in my Mexi Telecaster. // 10

Overall Impression: These are installed in my Epi LP 100 series played on a Peavey Classic Chorus 212 solid state Amp with a Ditto X2 looper and a Ibanez TS9. I have been playing for 25 years, mostly all acoustic and just recently got back into electric. Currently play with a group of guys every week, we play a mix of classic rock/country/jam band/acoustic favorites. These pickups suite my style perfectly. I did research a lot of other pickup sets and reviews on pickup set before picking these specifically to suit my style. Like anything, there are a lot of options and price ranges to consider before purchase. The dirtying of the clean channel did bother me at first, but I have been able to fix that by just lowering the volume control on the guitar. If they were stolen, I would repurchase and reinstall. // 10

Hot Rodded Humbucker Set Reviewed by: ilikekfc, on november 02, 2012

Purchased from: GAK

Sound: The JB has a DC resistance of 16.4 which is just stupid out put, it overdrives clean channels on solid state amps, its great haha. The jazz has a DC resistance of 7.72 which is great for smooth soloing or rhythm playing. I use them through a Vox AD120VTH and like I said, the JB overdrives the clean channel on it. The JB has incredible tone and really does bite when on the other hand the jazz is smooth and its the kind of pick-up that will do anything, it has a great clean sound and when you distort it, it really does sound smooth. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Both pick-ups are solid as a brick and are going to last for a very very long time. I will depend on these pick-ups for a long time. // 10

Overall Impression: I just love the versatility and the tone difference between the two pick-ups. I use them in a Les Paul copy and with these pick-ups I am not going to need to get a Gibson or anything, these just blow them out the water. // 10

More Seymour Duncan reviews rating category latest review