SA-3HC Woody HC Review

manufacturer: Seymour Duncan date: 08/15/2011 category: Pickups
Moderate output, instant-mount, hum canceling pickup housed in maple cover and double potted. The tone is warm and rich with no 60-cycle hum. Great for strumming and delicate fingerstyle playing. Includes studio-quality 14' cable.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.3
 8.5
 8.3
 8.7
reviews (3) 6 comments vote for this gear:
SA-3HC Woody HC Reviewed by: micstarz, on february 25, 2008

Sound: This passive magnetic soundhole pickup is pretty neat. It is convenient to place into any sound hole between 3.85" and 4.10". I use a Toyama Acoustic TMM2380WA Junior. Although the guitar sounds crap by itsself, the Woody Hum cancelling stack does some magicking of its own and the sound that comes through the Frontman 15G amp is quite nice. The pickup fits into the sound hole and you can angle it so that you get more out of the strings you choose. Unlike some other acoustic soundhole pickups, this one has a solid continous wooden body and is a hassle-free fool-proof kind of product. It is the thickness of a 250-page book. It keeps the acoustic middlish tone sound but enhances in a way I know not how to describe. Also, I cannot hear the string buzz common to all factory budget guitars anymore. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The pickup itself seems durable enough, but there are a few blemishes. The backside (underside) of the pickup is not sealed with a piece of wood, but rather a piece of felt. One brsh too violent will result in the felt peeling off to expose the resin which encases the pickup itself. Also, the foam on the sides of the thing seem to be in danger of falling out any time soon. However, the woodwork on this pickup is quite nice. Also, the lead seems quite tough and of acceptable quality. The plug is hand soldered, does that mean anything? // 5

Overall Impression: I hate the fact that it seems to need a lot of care if you want it to stay in a well-presented state. It also seems to be in danger of needing customer service in the near future. However, the sound output from this buddy completely satisfies me. // 7

SA-3HC Woody HC Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 24, 2010

Purchased from: music123

Sound: This is a humbucker soundhole pickup with a maple housing and studio-quality cable. Not particularly hot, but I like this in order to avoid feedback. With my Washburn dreadnought guitar it is a bit bassy and tinny at the same time. But I run it through a DigiTech RP70 effects processor so I tweek the EQ and it sounds warm and full. I also plan to run it through my Fender electric guitar amp but I still don't expect to use it without the effects processor live. Works great with all the Digitech's modulating effects just as good as an electric. The tone is fairly natural but not as much as Fishman pickups inside the box I've tried. It has more sustain and at times seems a bit more electric than acoustic. All in all, I'm satisfied. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Seems solid enough. The wood is nice and hard and the cable is studio quality. I really can't say much else about it because I've only owned the product a week. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a really good pickup. Like I said before, it isn't as natural sounding as one inside the box but it's the best soundhole pup I've tried. I suggest using with a small-box guitar since with my dreadnought there is a tendency to feed back and I have to cut the bass entirely on the EQ. For the price, I imagine that the comparable versions by DiMarzio and Dean Markley are very similar. // 9

SA-3HC Woody HC Reviewed by: darth whaler, on august 15, 2011

Purchased from: Gear Tree via eBay

Sound: I only use this pickup when playing bars around town. I plug into my buddy's EQ and that's it. The tone is very nicely balanced, maybe a bit middy without the EQ. It's never been "overpowered" by the other guy's elec/acoustic, so output level is no issue. It doesn't alter or shape the sound of the guitar at all. It just makes it come alive. Tone shaping is pretty limited, but the pickup can be moved around the soundhole a bit to produce some different tones. I prefer to angle it slightly so the side toward low E is closer to the bridge. I've found that this gives my guitar the best balance. Zero hum from this baby, as advertised. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's a pickup. What could possibly go wrong? The only question mark here is how long the cord will hold up. It's a high quality cord, but everything has its breaking point. However, at $45, it'd hardly break my heart (or my wallet) to have to buy a new one. // 10

Overall Impression: I bought this pickup because it was a far cheaper alternative to buying an electric/acoustic. I hook it up to my Martin DX1, and they really play well together. I never feel like I'm hearing a pickup, I feel like I'm hearing my Martin. I love the simplicity of this pickup. No batteries to change, no circuitry within the guitar to deal with. If you want to get loud, just pop it on, plug it in, and wail away. The 14' cord is nice quality, but sometimes it's a bit short. I highly recommend the Woody to anyone seeking an inexpensive way to plug their Acoustic in. I would buy it for myself again, and a couple folks will be getting them for Christmas this year, too. // 9

More Seymour Duncan reviews rating category latest review