SH-13 Dimebucker Review

manufacturer: Seymour Duncan date: 05/27/2014 category: Pickups
Seymour Duncan: SH-13 Dimebucker
If you've followed Pantera's rise to the top of the metal heap, then you're already well aware of the searing, crushing, metal massacre that is Dimebag Darrell's signature guitar tone. Now, that tone is yours with the SH-13 Dimebucker.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.7
 8.7
 8.9
 8.4
reviews (7) 31 comments vote for this gear:
SH-13 Dimebucker Reviewed by: saitenslayer, on november 12, 2008

Purchased from: B&B music and sound

Sound: The SH-13 was dime's bridge pick up used in all his signature Dean guitars and helped HIM get his signature tone, and with this pick up you can sound almost as great as dime, I placed this pick up in the bridge position in my Dimeblade, and I'll just say one word, wow. This guitar is a high out put (not sure exactly) and fuzz reducing, it's in the humbucker form, Powerful ceramic magnet coupled with stainless steel blades generates a "take-no-prisoners" tone, can be used with humbucker and Trembucker string spacings, Small metal mass in core that produces aggressive, high-output with treble bite and clarity, and punchy bass response two, this pick up is recommended for the bridge position but can also can be placed in the neck position. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had this pick up for long, but I do go down to play the Dixie rebel dimebag guitar with the exact same pick in it at least once a week and 2 if in lucky, and that thing has been there for 2 years and it still sounds as crisp powerful and hard hitting as my dimebucker pick up, if I didn't think this would last me, I wouldn't have spent my hard-ernd money on this pick up. // 10

Overall Impression: this guitar is perfect for hard hitting rock and face-melting metal, which is exactly what I play, like I said earlier I have installed this myself into my Dimeblade, and as iv said many times, this is a BRIDGE pick-up, the most noticeable thing about this pick up is my pinch harmonics just seem so natural and are just so easy to pump out, I played this pick up on my Dimeblade through and IBZ10G and a Crate V50 and the harmonics just sound great with both, even though my Crate tube amp sounds a lot better, what do you expect, this pick up sounds even better with a strong preamp. // 10

SH-13 Dimebucker Reviewed by: BobDetroit, on august 20, 2009

Purchased from: eBay (used)

Sound: Seymour Duncan SH-13 Dimebucker humbucker for bridge position. High output ceramic magnets with stainless steel blades clearly aimed at high gain players. Sound is scooped, aggressive, razor sharp, treble boosted, clear, punchy and defined. Over the top voicing and high output may detract from it's musicality for many players. Plugged into my inexpensive SS Peavey Rage 108 it produced thin fizzy high gain tones that I had never experienced coming from the small amp, so much that I feared for it's life. Through my VHT Pittbull UL it gave searing harmonic startling clear defined leads and once I got over my initial shock I had a blast with it's sound. I enjoyed it much more with playing with my band than I did practicing. It did reasonable cleans through the ULs Stellar clean channel... Sort of. Whew! // 9

Reliability & Durability: Hand made in Santa Barbara, California, USA! contributes to the high price. Comes with a special angled gloss black pickup ring. Seems high quality.. it didn't catch on fire. Guys are dumping these because it's not there thing. BUY a USED one if you gotta have one. I saved $55 over Guitar Center price! // 10

Overall Impression: This pickup is certainly not for everyone, in fact it's for a very few. It's a one trick pony metal type high gain lead pickup. It comes only in black and the look of the blades is almost as polarizing as it's sound. I would hesitate to put this in a rhythm players guitar of ANY style of music. I had this in my Charvel USA production San Dimas 2 Tele which is a pretty serious hunk of alder and it destroyed it's balanced tone if that's what you're after. Not for thin sounding guitars or sloppy players. As for the Dimebag "endorsement" apparently the pickup is a copy of the actual Bill Lawrence model Darrell Abbott used and he did not play these, so don't be confused by advertising. If you own one guitar and a modest amp many more well rounded pickups are out there, but if your thing is hurtling kitchen knives, look no further. // 8

SH-13 Dimebucker Reviewed by: HeavyMetalHokie, on january 28, 2009

Sound: This is a Seymour Duncan bridge pickup that I bought in 2007. I replaced the stock bridge pickup in my Epiphone Les Paul Classic with the dimebucker for a more metal tone and it delivered. This pickup has a lot of output which is great for handling distortion as well as really bringing out the tone of the guitar and flawless harmonics. I could really notice a difference in clarity as well, even with the distortion you could pick out every note. The only downside of this was that I thought the pickup was a bit too trebbly for a good bridge pickup. Even in the hulking les paul it still had too much brightness for me personally (and it made it really difficult to really get that Dime tone). // 8

Reliability & Durability: Seemed just as good as any other pickup, what can be said I usually don't go around breaking pickups. Since it was passive and a Seymour Duncan it is extremely reliable, get the same tone every time. It came with a warranty so if anything ever did go wrong it wouldn't be a problem trying to get it resolved. // 10

Overall Impression: I really liked the fact that this pickup could push my guitar over the top as far as distortion goes, but it had a little too much high end for me and would probably not buy another. it's not bad, just with 1000's of pickups I would like to try something different. // 8

SH-13 Dimebucker Reviewed by: dash-rendar, on february 13, 2012

Price paid: C$ 114

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Sound: This is a very high output passive pickup used for the bridge position only. Instead of pole magnets, it uses bar magnets. With the guitar I'm using it in (my Washburn RX22 - you can find my review on UG), it's a very nicely balanced pickup in terms of bass, mids and treble. I'm currently running a Randall RG75 solid state amplifier, and a handful of Boss and Dunlop effects (check my profile for the pieces of gear). Just because it is high output doesn't mean it can't handle styles other than metal well. I play different styles of metal, rock, pop and country, as well as dabbling in blues-rock. This pickup does them all nicely. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've only had the pickup installed in my guitar for about a month, but the pickups does seem like it will last. I'm actually considering buying another one for my other guitar as well because I was so impressed with the quality of the pickup. // 10

Overall Impression: As stated above, I installed it in a Washburn RX22 in the bridge position. I love how it was a vast improvement in tone over the stock pickups of the guitar and I do not regret buying this pickup for a minute. Before you all start trolling and say "He's a Dime fanboy for giving it all ten's", I bought this pickup solely based on its sound, not on the name slapped onto the pickup cover. I also considered other pickups from Seymour Duncan, as well as looking into a few by DiMarzio (EMG was completely overruled because I'm not a fan of active pickups - I find they sound too compressed for my liking) but ultimately decided this was the pickup for me. I mainly play metal in a lot of its different subgenres, as well as hard rock stuff, and the tone suits it perfectly. I was pleasantly surprised at how capable it was of handling other styles as well. // 10

SH-13 Dimebucker Reviewed by: diskothek, on september 12, 2012

Purchased from: South Shore Music

Sound: This is a high output humbucker using a ceramic magnet which really pushes the treble side of dynamics. I use no pedal effects through a Vox VT20+. An odd amp/pickup combo, I admit, but there is a good setting for modern metal in this amp which I use most. I couldn't imagine placing this pickup anywhere other than the bridge position. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I bought this pickup nearly 10 years ago to upgrade the stock pickups of a Peavey Firenza in my youth. I hadn't touched that guitar in many years after upgrading to other guitars and recently swapped it into my current most played guitar with no issue. This thing lasts, as should most any pickup if given care (but this one wasn't!). // 10

Overall Impression: Upgrading the Peavey guitar I had was not really the best idea in my novice years, but it was a learning experience for sure. I hadn't touched that guitar in many years and recently swapped it into the bridge position of my Schecter C-1 + which I use now. I can say its a MUCH better fit in this guitar and the configuration I play it in. I play in D-standard and use ERnie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom strings (10-52). This pickup was made for thick strings and low tunings. And no, you won't sound like Dime with it. That is marketing and nothing else. Unless you have his exact rig, you won't get close to it which can really be said to any "tone chaser". If you plan on playing in standard tuning with light gauge strings then I hope you play black metal because that's the sound you'll get. This pickup gets a lot of hate, but you need to use it for a certain sound and have a decent amp and guitar to play it through. Even so, you better like treble 'cause that's what you're getting, this thing squeals. // 8

SH-13 Dimebucker Reviewed by: T4D, on april 08, 2013

Sound: This is the highest output "passive" pick-up I have ever used, shocked me when I got it in a Dime ML guitar, I mainly have EMG pickups 81 and 85 I also have Blackouts in the bridge in some of my guitars and this is Up there with those Pickups the tone is NOT Dime bags when you use your own gear (I use Line 6 X3 Live and VST plugins into Carvin 1000 watt 4/quads and Marshall JCM 900) it's METAL for sure for me it's more high end & far from Muddy with clear heavy tone in the bridge position I have played and replaced it in this guitar with a EMG 81 and blackouts just to comparer the tones and well the Dimebucker IS a very metal pickup and I would say if you want a passive with Major metal tone this is the pickup to go for. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Solid well build pickup from Seymour Duncan. What more is can I say?... OK I have had many Seymour Duncan pickups over the years and none and I really mean NONE have had a single issue. Quality and build is second to none from these guys, I am sure it will last for many years to come unless I do a Jimi Hendrix and freak out setting the guitar and pickup alight in a flaming BBQ lighter liquid while screaming and trying to find the prefect feedback sound as my guitar pickups melts in the hope the shows I put on is good enough for a endorsement from Seymour Duncan to replace this pickup! // 8

Overall Impression: Metal tone from a passive pickup in the bridge position is the real gold here, It's got strong high end with very clear low end tone without distortion you could do blues or rock with it but you are dealing with a high output LOUD pickup so having a more mellow neck pickup would be advisable if you want a flexible tone from a single guitar, the good things about the pickup is as you add more distortion it doesn't get muddy due to the tone this delivers, a very cool pickup if your after that metal tone. The Deam ML I have it in suits the tone perfectly and the match makes a Very lively guitar. Very happy I got this pickup and guitar combo. // 9

SH-13 Dimebucker Reviewed by: Maidenheadsteve, on may 27, 2014

Purchased from: Union Music

Sound: I use this guitar with a Valveking 212 and in my Kramer Striker 300ST (500K pots). I bought the pickup to replace the old Kramer bridge pickup. The Dimebucker is has a very high output, making it suitable for most eras of metal. It is naturally bass heavy, so in the distance between barely touching the strings and flush with the pickup slot, I had to set it more than halfway down. Even then, I have to set the bass and resonance pretty low on the lead channel. Setting the pickup down makes it quite trebly too, which bugs me on the both clean and lead channels (I have both set around 5-6). Overall the cleans are decent for a high output pup, but I use it in the 2nd position of my Striker with the Area 61 in the middle (this pup is set near the strings) to warm the highs. Lastly, this pickup really doesn't have much of a midrange. Since I play a lot of Iron Maiden I have to crank the mids to 10. However, the lack of midrange doesn't affect thrash/other scooped tones. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This is a pickup. I honestly do not know how one would possibly cause it to stop working, so this section is a bit/very irrelevant for pickups. I have owned the Dimebucker for about three years now, and it does not show any sign of breaking down. I assume the pickup will work for a long time as long as it is not smashed nor placed in water/similar fluids. It can be depended on and used in gigs without needing a backup. Do not do anything that could harm the pickup (i.e. putting it in water or applying traumatic force) // 10

Overall Impression: I really did not know much about pickups when I bought the dimebucker; I bought it when I was just beginning and it just sounded like something I needed. I wish I knew it was so bass heavy, even in my alder (I think) Striker with 500K pots. It's important to note this pup is designed for mahogany, so I imagine there's even more unnecessary low end, but I assume it isn't as shrilly on the treble detail in Mahogany. I also wish I knew about the rather flat midrange response, because '80s metal requires you to turn the mids full. Depending on the amp, that may not be enough. I would not buy this pickup again because of the overly emphasized bass and near lack of midrange detail. The only thing I really like about the pickup are the great pinch harmonics I can get. // 6

More Seymour Duncan reviews rating category latest review