SH-14 Custom 5 Review

8.6
reviews (2) 8 comments vote for this gear:
SH-14 Custom 5 Reviewed by: Zanary, on may 27, 2009

Purchased from: ebay

Sound: The Custom 5 is a pickup for those who like the basic sound of the "JB" but want it to have more low-end power. Best in the bridge position, this pickup has the attack of the well-loved "JB" humbucker but it does give more bass response and sounds more modern as opposed to the sizzling mids of the aforementioned JB. Great for hard rock and some metal, and has been a great addition to both my old Les Paul and my old Kramer Pacer Imperial. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've used Duncans for over 20 years, and I've yet to actually kill one. I've swapped 'em out plenty of times because I love playing with different tones in my guitars, but I've never had a defective unit yet. Neither Custom 5 has given me any trouble, and I've had them both for a couple of years now. // 10

Overall Impression: I believe this pickup was a very worthy addition to the Duncan lineup. The JB is a legendary humbucker that has tons of harmonics and is a benchmark in terms of tone, but the Custom 5 gives the option of having almost all the same qualities in a bridge pickup that hits harder in the low frequencies...and actually cleans up decently. An excellent pickup for most rock/metal uses! // 10

SH-14 Custom 5 Reviewed by: skinfrakki, on november 18, 2011

Purchased from: McKnight Guitar Company

Sound: I replaced a DiMarzio Suer Distortion in the bridge with this pick up and what a difference it made! Great output, clear, and well scooped. It gave me great feedback response. I use this live with my Fender Super Sonic amp and get compliments on my tone. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Seems good so far. // 10

Overall Impression: This pickup is perfect for the kind of music. I play in a 90s tribute band which requires a lot of tonal differences. I installed this in a Peavey HP Special EX with HSH configuration. I have the Custom 5 in the bridge, DiMarzio Virtual Blues in the middle, and a DiMarzio PAF 36th Anniversary in the neck and I can deliver any sound with this guitar. // 9

More Seymour Duncan reviews rating category latest review