SH-2 Jazz Model Review

9.8
reviews (2) 6 comments vote for this gear:
SH-2 Jazz Model Reviewed by: RossZ88, on june 14, 2011

Purchased from: Saratoga Guitar

Sound: The Seymour Duncan Jazz SH-2 neck humbucker is more than just a jazz pickup, it can cover a wide variety of styles for being a moderate output level pickup. I currently have an SH-2 in my Godin Freeway Classic which I run through a couple of pedals: Boss TU-2 Cry Baby Wah, Xotic BB Preamp, Boss CH-1 Dunlop Phase 90, and Boss DD-7. My amp is a Mesa Boogie Lonestar. The tone qualities of the pickup are very balanced. Clean wise the bass frequencies are very prominent and the mids and treble sit very well. Distorted the pickup is full and bright, very smooth. However, depending on your rig and how you voice everything, tone can change. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's a Seymour Duncan pickup. Enough said... Pro quality and dependability. The pickup is built to last and built to be played. I always have a solid guitar tech install my pickups and when I told him I wanted this pickup installed he was in full agreement of my decision. // 10

Overall Impression: This pickup is really versatile. It can cover a wide variety of styles maintaining a smooth and pronounced sound. Fast runs are very articulated, especially distorted and clean rhythms sound heavenly. Only con is the output... Depending on what you installed for a bridge pickup... You could run into having two pickups with a significant difference in output. I recommend this pickup to anybody. It's really solid and built to last. A lot of pros use this pickup and it has a great reputation. It comes in nickel, gold-plated or no cover. // 9

SH-2 Jazz Model Reviewed by: wauldsmith, on june 09, 2014

Sound: This is the best sounding neck pickup I've ever heard. I swapped out the stock humbuckers in my Epiphone Les Paul Standard with the hot rodded humbucker set - Seymour Duncans personal favourite - including a JB for the bridge. With the tone and volume at full with a clean sound from the amp, you get a thick warm sounding tone with nice high end. My stock humbuckers had a thick warm tone, but without any clarity and overall a very muddy sound, the Jazz sounds way more clear and meaty! Everything has more punch and responsiveness to it. If you roll back the tone knob you get a really smooth creamy sound, that while still being really thick and warm it doesn't really muddy or unclear. You can use clean tone and it sounds wonderful. // 10

Reliability & Durability: its got quality oozing off it, this thing is going to last forever. I've only ever heard good things about Seymour Duncan pickups. Now that I've had first hand experience comparing stock pickups, I see why Seymour Duncans really do deserve the good reputation they have. This thing is awesome. My Epiphone Les Paul Standard plays and feels great and I really love to play it, but the sound was a little lacking compared to some of my other guitars. It sounds like a beast now. Wiring it was easy as well. It was my first time soldering but it went smoothly as I'd made sure I knew what I was doing. The pickups come with a wiring diagram which is helpful. The guitar tech was going to charge £50 to do it, so I'm happy I was able to do it myself easily. // 10

Overall Impression: I have a bunch of different kinds of guitars and I like them all for what they can do best. Since putting in the Jazz (and JB for bridge) my Les Paul is my go to guitar whether I want to do some heavy rock or go mellow and play some clean jazz or country. This pickup can do it all. Playing rhythm on the jazz is great as you can get a range of different tones with the tone nob. Playing lead you can get some screaming or creaming tones as well whether you are clean or filthy. Overall I couldn't be happier with it. I wasn't sure how much of a difference, if any, I was going to get from changing out the stock pickups. I've never done this before so I wanted to give it a shot and now my Epiphone Les Paul sounds like a AAA+ guitar. // 10

More Seymour Duncan reviews rating category latest review