SH-4 JB Review

manufacturer: Seymour Duncan date: 08/27/2012 category: Pickups
Seymour Duncan: SH-4 JB
The Seymour Duncan SH-4 JB Humbucker uses a completely balanced coil configuration to produce great harmonics and a high output with just the right blend of sustain and distortion.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 8.9
 8.8
reviews (6) 48 comments vote for this gear:
SH-4 JB Reviewed by: maverick_137, on june 04, 2008

Sound: I have a jb in the bridge position of my guitar and it has amazing tone.I play metal mostly, but I play a little of everything else (except funk and country) too. I usually run this through my Line 6 Pocket POD into my computer, but I occasionally run it through a Crate GT1200H into a Marshall MG412B. the sound of this pickup is loud and hard core. If raised (like mine currently is) it has the ability to be ear-popping loud. if lowered, it is still a high output pickup but can still be pretty touch sensitive. I love this pickup and appearantly lots of other people do because it is Seymour Duncan's favorit pickup. There is no mud to this pickup, and it's very well balanced. I wish it had a little less output though. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I use this in a Brian Moore I1 and it hasn't failed me yet. I don't think it ever will. I have had a magnet brush against it cuntless times (don't know if that's bad). I use a Jellyfish pick with it and it stickks to it on the strings but is OK after that all the time. Setmour duncan pickups seem to all be very reliable and I think this one is too. I'll give it some more time but for now This is a great pickup that is very, very, very durable // 10

Overall Impression: This is in the Bridge position of my Brian Moore and I just plain LOVE it. When I play John Mayer stuff, I tend to use the back pickup on the a clean channel and it seems kind of bright but I just turn up the bass and it has a BEAUTIFUL warmth with a dumble texture. this pickup, I know is often used in Jackson soloists, so that should tell you the ability of this pickup right there. // 10

SH-4 JB Reviewed by: SKB, on february 04, 2009

Purchased from: MCM

Sound: This thing is sweeeet! The high output from this thing sounds awesome through any kind of amp (ESP. marshalls obviously). I use it through some wee rubbish Vox that I have but, even still, it sounds really cool. It's incredibly balanced and offers really low, punchy tones as well as a really clear sound up high. It's reeaally good for palm muting btw; something my stock pickups were lacking. I've got it in my bridge position but I think you can get neck position ones too. All I would say is that it's not very warm when put through a clean tone, might just be me though. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Trust me, there's a higher chance of the headstock of my guitar falling off before this pickup fails. For the price I paid for it, I am seriously impressed. It seems to be built like a rock and I would definitely recommend it to anyone. I totally rely on it and I think it should last the complete lifetime of my guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: I got this put in my guitar to replace the stock pickup that was in the bridge (got an APH-1 in the neck) and it definitely upgraded my guitar. It could have been a completely different guitar for all I knew! I've got a Spear Gladius (awesome btw) and they work perfectly together. Price-wise, the JB is really good value for money. I'm not sure how much it costs in other places, but where I got it, it was the cheapest Seymour Duncan there. I'm really glad my friend recommended it to me and I would pass the recommendation on to anyone. // 10

SH-4 JB Reviewed by: Blasphemylol, on october 13, 2008

Purchased from: Marshall Music

Sound: I recently got Seymour Duncan's for my Jackson Performer PS-3, a '59 neck and a SH4 JB bridge. These pickups transformed my guitar, it feels and sounds Brand New. The JB has got this nice punchy output with a full sound, a lot of bite and it's crystal clear. Well worth the money spent. I use a DigiTech RP350 multi-effect pedal through a 65 Watt Laney Solid State amp. My friend has a neck-through Jackson Pro-Series with JB's in both neck and bridge positions and this sounds amazing, can be used on both neck and bridge. (There might be neck and bridge versions available as in some other Seymour Duncan models) // 9

Reliability & Durability: The pickups came nicely packed in foam in a little plastic box with screws and wiring diagram. The cable connected to it is shielded with a braided shield, all very good quality. The quality can really be seen compared to my stock Jackson Pickups, I'm sure this will last the lifetime of my guitar. They are also hand-made. // 10

Overall Impression: If you have a descent mid-range guitar and you want to upgrade the sound, this is a very good option. Especialy if you can't afford to buy a guitar with top-end pickups. I just love my Performer too much not to upgrade it. The tone is very versatile, I play clean and overdrive in equal amounts and this pickup transformed my guitar to something very versatile, heavy heavy overdrive (Slayer, Metallica) and very clear and precise cleans. Well worth the money. // 8

SH-4 JB Reviewed by: Arystar, on april 13, 2011

Sound: High level output, probably the highest I have ever heard. When heightened it produces a really sharp sound whilst still packing a punch if palm muting. The harmonics (pinch or natural) are VERY high. First played it on a line6 but it flattened out my tone. Then used with an Engl half-stack this baby SCREAMS. Definitly a bridge pickup. Since the clean tone is rather twangy and not full-warm. // 9

Reliability & Durability: If Chuck Norris played the guitar... This would be the bridge pickup. Build to last! // 10

Overall Impression: I love its tone and the flexibility when playing around with the height of the pickup. I have installed it in my Jackson Kevin Bond and it is a greater asset then the stock Iommi, the jacks is a neck-through and an ideal guitar for the pickup, neck-through and single pickup. Bridge position ofcourse. The SH-4 is great for my playing because I mostly play metal and 80's metal like W.A.S.P. and its great for it. // 8

SH-4 JB Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 28, 2010

Purchased from: used

Sound: This pickup has big bass response, and prominent high-mids. This pickup is NOT thin or shrill, in fact it has very sweet midrange. You can expect instant 80's rhytm rock tones, it is bright, but sound soft at the same time. It can nail Van Halen tones very convincingly. - Lead tones, this pickup really sings, it has this "bloom" quality that's hard to describe. very beautiful lead tone. - High gain and modern sound, this pickup sounds real HEAVY for rhytm - due to it's big bass response - The clean isn't the best, it's too honky sometimes, but it is definitely usable. The only drawbacks of this pickup, is due to it's BIG bass, it's not very tight and the bass may sound overwhelming.. of course it depends on what amp and guitar are you using.. You can make careful adjustment to the pickup height to make it a little tighter.. You can also try to wire it parallel or split the coil, that will tone down the bass considerably and add more crunch at the same time.. IMO, if someday SD make a new pickup that sounds like the JB, but with TIGHT low end, that might be the best bridge pickup ever made.. I'm serious! // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's build so solid, It's very dependable.. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the pickup that comes with my first electric guitar, so this is the one I grow up and develop as a player with. I've been using many pickups since, but still in my opinion the the JB is one of the best bridge pickup available. This pickup has it's Shine and flaws, so I try to make this review as objective/not biased as possible. I hope it will help describing what should you expect if you're going to put it on your own guitar. My guitar is an 80s Ibanez AR-300, mahogany body, without plugging It sounds warm and thick like typical les paul but a bit more bass, and a bit more treble/edge. Hope this review helps! // 9

SH-4 JB Reviewed by: AlexDiLiberti, on august 27, 2012

Sound: I have the Seymour Duncan Jb SH-4 in my Schecter classic paired with a Jazz SH-2 in the neck position. I wouldn't really consider this pickup as high output as it's made out to be. It's definitely no weak pickup, but it is by no means a screamer. The tone is above average, nothing special, but definitely nicer than most stock pups. When parallel it has a good sound for rock and lighter thrash, but that's about it. When split I found it has a good sound for blues. The mids are where this pickup does its best (in my opinion and in my specific guitar at least). To my disappointment, it's been a bit muddy when playing the Low E and A strings, especially in any drop tunings (Drop D and D flat for me). The definition in general is a lacking and it doesn't have that punch that I've experienced even with my shitty stock Ibanez active pickups I have in my RGA. This is surprising to me since my Schecter has a good amount of walnut and maple in the body, which should give it more snap. The highs are fair, not too bad, but not that great. Sustain is ok, but notes lose their definition quickly. I checked the wiring and soldering in the back and there were no issues there (no surprise from Schecter). Maybe mine is just old and worn out, but it's very unimpressive. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I have no clue how I would rate the reliability on it since I haven't been able to compare my seven or eight year old one to a newer one. But if they sound the same, then the JB must hold up well for what it is. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall, I don't like this pickup. I'm replacing it with a DiMarzio X2N or crunch lab within the next few weeks and all will be right in the world. If you play rhythm on the lighter side of metal, rock, and blues this should suit you fairly well. If you play lead and like a crispness to your sound, this isn't for you. I like my bridge pickup to really cut through with its sound, and the JB just doesn't do it for me. // 6

More Seymour Duncan reviews rating category latest review