SH-6B Review

9.4
 7.7
reviews (3) 15 comments vote for this gear:
SH-6B Reviewed by: guitarguyryan94, on september 02, 2009

Sound: This pickup is HOT! It is great for anything metal and hard rock, but it's amazing for any other genre, surprisingly. I have this pickup installed in a Fender Strat with a single volume and I play through a Spider Valve 112 and this guitar has a great clean tone. Chords sound very clean with little distortion, but when you flip over to the distorted channel, this thing screams! Huge crunch, picks up harmonics extremely well, and palm muting is music (duh) to my ears. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This pickup is very durable. It has the scratches that you get from your pick, but aside from that, this pickup is very durable. I wired the thing myself and it sounds just as good as my other guitar with the similar pickup that was installed by a professional. I have a feeling that I will be using this pickup for a very long time. // 10

Overall Impression: There's no way you can hate this pickup. It may be high output, but you can use it for everything, if you know how to use it, that is. Roll back the tone and this thing sounds as smooth as a satin finished neck (haha, corny joke). I love the sound of it with alder bodies, and it sounds just as good with mahogany. Bridge position, amazing, neck position, I have yet to try it. I will post a review of the neck as soon as I get one installed in my Epiphone Goth Explorer. // 10

SH-6B Reviewed by: ravenrage07, on june 15, 2010

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend

Sound: The pickup is very loud and very clear. Its one of the best metal pickups you can get if not the best. I haven't played every pickup on earth but for me its great. It's very good for low tuning you can tune your guitar down to Drop B and have it clear as a bell. It just sounds great high output, and pushs your amp hard. I compared it to the 500T Gibson Pickup (which IMO sucks) and its 100x better. The 500T can't do low tunings to save its life. I play with a Peavey bandit 112 but i've played with other amps and its still very very good. The pickup overall soundwise is perfect for metal and hard rock, it can't do softer stuff though. When on the clean channel of an SS amp it doesnt breakup really its just warm and twangy (if that makes any sense), but it doesnt make it break up. I don't own a tube amp so it might break up on a tube amps clean channel. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Ive had the pickup in the guitar since 2006 and its always been good. It's in a BC rich warlock and its been great. I'm positive I can depend on it but for the most part pickups arent something you have to worry about reliability wise. Thats more about if someone wires it bad. // 10

Overall Impression: I love that the pickup is super high gain and clear. Its the only pickup i've ever played that can do any kind of metal and not be muddy on any tuning. There's nothing I can say I hate about it, I just wish I could get it cheaper somewhere used instead of having to pay $80 brand new for it. $80 may be cheap for some people but i'm pretty broke even though I work. Either way its great and its in my bridge position. // 10

SH-6B Reviewed by: terribleguitar, on january 08, 2013

Purchased from: Used

Sound: This pickup perfectly does what it is famous for: it pushes your amplifier to the limit by producing a very strong signal. The output is very high and it has DC Resistance of 16.6k, and a ceramic bar magnet, which makes it a perfect metal pickup. However, the Duncan Distortion is not a one-trick pony: I actually like the clean sound it produces with the volume knob rolled off. This pickup's EQ isn't very balanced: high and middle frequencies are very prominent, while low frequencies are super tight. Honestly, that kind of EQ makes it sound too bright and ice-picky in standard tuning, but that also makes it Shine when tuning to C and even lower: it never gets too dark and muddy, every note is clear even on high-gain setting. Overall, this pickup is somewhat reminiscent of Lundgren M6, but not as barky and hollow-sounding. // 8

Reliability & Durability: There have not been any issues with reliability so far. I have had this pickup for six months, and it looks and sounds the same as it did months ago. It is super quiet, does not feedback too easily, and feels very solid overall. The only bad thing is that the cloth that protects the bobbins from dust and moisture is not as accurately and tightly wrapped as on DiMarzio or BKP pickups. // 8

Overall Impression: All in all, I am satisfied with this pickup. I wanted something to put in the bridge position of my Fender American Standard Stratocaster when I feel like playing metal, and this high-output monster fits it almost perfectly. It can even do some blues-rock if you roll off the tone knob on your guitar. I've tried some bridge pickups before: a Seymour Duncan JB, and a DiMarzio Air Norton. I didn't really love the JB, as it had a very prominent mid "hump" which made it sound nasal in an unpleasant way. The Air Norton didn't have enough output so it wasn't the ideal metal pickup either. // 9

More Seymour Duncan reviews rating category latest review