SH-8B Invader 7 Review

9.3
review (1) user comments vote for this gear:
SH-8B Invader 7 Reviewed by: Plan009, on november 21, 2012

Purchased from: musiciansfriend.com

Sound: These pick-ups sound awesome to say the least. If you're investing in some Invaders, you're clearly looking for a hardcore/metal tone. I installed mine in the bridge of my Schecter and they definitely deliver. Cleans are bright without losing the smoothness of lower notes. Setting the volume at 7 and the tone at 5 almost eliminates the need to even use my neck pick-up. The fun is when you add distortion. I've run this pick-up through Marshalls, Peaveys, a Line 6 and a Vox with an assortment of pedals and not one arrangement disappointed me. The high gain response and powerful magnets give my guitar the most intense crunch for my styles of music. Like I said, the Invader series is something you go to if you're looking to play metal. For what it's made for, I'd say the sound is perfect. That being said, in all fairness of review, this isn't a metal forum, so I have to judge it against all angles of the question. The Invader doesn't hold up too well when playing country and classic rock. In my opinion, the sound is too full and solid to get the right tones when I play those two genres. For what it excels in with hard rock and metal music, it does lack in versatility. // 8

Reliability & Durability: So far I have had mine installed for one year and I've yet to have any issues. The tones are great. The height and setting is perfect. I've played gigs often and practice through an amp almost daily. Besides some shoddy solder work from the factory, I've never seen a guitars pick-up show signs of wear and tear. Since I did my own work soldering it, I'm not even concerned because I know I did a quality job. For what I can share with my experience, his pick-up will last and I can rely on it without shadow of a doubt. // 10

Overall Impression: I love it. I can't tell you enough how pleased I am with the improvement this pick-up has made on my guitar and sound. I used this in my Schecter Gryphon 7 (original from 10 years ago) stock bridge that was a Duncan Design w/ coil tap. Before, I used to get muddy palm mutes and not as much response and resonance from my strings. As soon as I finished the install and added new strings, I had the comforting feel of my guitar that I've been playing for years with the sound I've been striving for. The quality is beyond great and I think if players were less shy about the idea of modifying their guitars, this pick-up would be in a lot more instruments. If you have a 7 string and are considering to swap them out, I strongly urge you to take interest in the Invader 7. // 10

More Seymour Duncan reviews rating category latest review