Stealth PRO Review

8.4
review (1) 8 comments vote for this gear:
Stealth PRO Reviewed by: Zhuriel, on january 06, 2010

Purchased from: sustainiac.com

Sound: First of all, this isn't mainly a pickup. It's a sustainer system that replaces the neck pickup with a driver that keeps the strings ringing as long as you want, or as long as the battery lasts. When the sustain function is turned off, the driver functions as a neck pickup. It comes as a kit which includes a circuit board, additional controls, and a lot of wires. Because I have some experience in electronics, I was able to install it myself in about 7 hours total. I like the sound of the pickup. It's relatively bright (for a neck pickup), clear and overall balanced. It's far better than the stock pickup of the guitar I have it in. It can be 'split', which isn't really splitting, but rather EQing (this also makes the 'singlecoil' quieter than normal), and both sounds are good. But the important thing is the sustainer function. The sustain is more powerful than you'd expect, you can actually feel and see the string vibrating while it sustains. The sustain is good on most notes, but a few high or low notes aren't as good. Then there's also the harmonic mode that turns the note into a squealing harmonic with the flick of a switch. You can even switch back and forth between fundamentals and harmonics! // 9

Reliability & Durability: Initially, it didn't work properly because of some solder connections that I hadn't done properly. After I fixed them, everything worked. But I'm still careful with it, because there's just too many parts that could get damaged. But even if it suddenly sopped working, it doesn't change anything about the bridge pickup, so that will always work. Because of that, I think I can depend on it. // 9

Overall Impression: The infinite sustain is awesome, of course. Customer service is great. I had some questions and customizations, and everyone of my E-mails got answered in 10min-4h. I have it installed in an Ibanez JS100. I had to slightly enlarge the control cavity for everything to fit, so if you're scared of that, I don't recommend to install it in that guitar model. Overall, if you are looking for something different, or you think your guitar lacks sustain, you should consider this. // 10

Comments