VR-Extreme Review

manufacturer: Tesla date: 02/04/2013 category: Pickups
Tesla: VR-Extreme
This pickup is truly awesome for its price, unlike some other expensive ones from known brands.
 7.1
 8.7
 5.5
review (1) user comments vote for this gear:
VR-Extreme Reviewed by: vtypeslaughter, on february 04, 2013

Purchased from: Lyric (Philippines

Sound: If you're in for some tight sounding high output pickup but not as muddy like some high output passive pickups, and tired about those other known brand and want to be unique, and on a tight budget, I'll recommend Tesla pickups for you, They have a large variety from Vintage sounding pickups to high output passives and active pickups. What I had from them is the VR-Extreme bridge pickup which I use for my JS32T Jackson Rhoads with Indian cedro body which complemented really with the tone, and it is as tight as an SH-6, maybe close to it. If the DiMarzio Super Distortion is 425 maybe this is around 410 or 415, it has 10.0 Kohm resistance, ceramic magnet, 4 plain enamel conductor wires and a tight sound for palm mutes, it is comparable to an SH-6 on mids and highs, when clean and distorted, it also has a nice bottom end, not very bassy, just right. As an EMG 81 owner, I can compare this pickup to my 81, its not as chunky as my battered pickup but if this has an active version, for sure it can compete with an EMG 81. The bridge version of this pickups is what I have and a friend of mine has a set of this as a stock pickup on his Radix guitar, the neck pickup sounds awesome for solos and the bridge sounds like an SH-6. It's ceramic magnet provided awesome and bright clean tones on the bridge and fat jazzy tones on the neck. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This pickups are comparable to the known brands, it is as well made and the packaging is perfect, it is not wobbly on my axe and I maintain my axe everytime, so I suppose it will last for some time, Korean made pickups are good pickups as well, that's what I learned from buying this pickup, I always been into those American made ones, so I thought of getting ones from my continent, and I'm not half disappointed. Korean made pickups are as good as their guitars. Dependability on this pickup is high, because of its sound and its components. // 9

Overall Impression: This pickup is truly awesome for its price, unlike some other expensive ones from known brands, sometimes you'll be disappointed that you threw money on a pickup that you expected to sound great but offered you nothing but disappointment. What happened to me is the reverse, I thought this pickup sound like sh-t, but I was blown away because of its gorgeous tone. I love this pickup due to its tightness, its bright clean tone and its not so bassy low end. I have this installed on the bridge of my JS32T Rhoads with Indian cedro body. Because of this pickup my entry level Jackson has balls now like my Customized Phil Demmel PDX guitar with just one EMG81 on the bridge. I'm never sad of throwing some 2000 bucks (php) on this. // 9

Comments