Now in its ninth year, the Guitarist Of The Year competition is again being held at the massive Music Live show this November.
Music Live 2003 takes place at Birmingham's National Exhibition Centre 21-23 November and, as usual, will feature hundreds of manufacturers and distributors showing the latest gear.
The Guitarist Of The Year competition will run all three days of Music Live from 8 to the 10 November, with finalists having their performances judged by a panel of industry experts and top player.
How does it work
For the electric category, you can submit any style of playing you like. For the acoustic category we're after more of a showcase of song writing talent than guitar wizardry - although instrumental pieces are also welcome. A vocal mic will be available on the day for singing finalists.
Finally the Young GOTY category can only be entered if you are under the age of 16 on the day of the competition. Once again, any playing style you like as long as it conforms to the rules below. Tune in next month for full details of the superb prizes that we have winners and finalists!
Competition rules 1. Entries must be of original material and no longer than four minutes in duration. Your entry must arrive at the address stated on CD, Cassette or Mini Disc - no DATS please! Entry to include full track plus backing track minus your guitar. You'll need a back up of your backing track for performance if you make the final.
2. The closing date for entries is Friday 17 October 2003. Please note that proof of postage is not proof of delivery, and no correspondence on this subject can be entered into.
3. You must include your name, your age (for Young Guitarist Of The Year you must be under 16 on the date of the competition), your address and a daytime telephone number.
4. You must be available to perform at the Music Live show 2003 in Birmingham on the relevant dates:
Friday 21 November - Young Guitarist Of The Year Saturday 22 November - Acoustic Guitarist Of The Year Sunday 23 November - Guitarist Of The Year
No exceptions can be made, as this is a condition of entry.
5. You may enter any or all competition categories, but only one entry per category, per person will be permitted.
6. All entries will be judged jury-style by the editor and the entire Guitarist team after the closing date. Finalists will be contacted by phone and a follow-up letter in due course.
7. Finalists will gain free entry to the remainder of the show, along with two complimentary tickets for family and friends.
8. The editor's decision is final and no correspondence can or will be entered into.
9. Guitarist reserves the right to reject unsuitable material without notice to the composer.
10. Unfortunately no entries can be returned, so make sure you make back-ups!
Competition Address Please mark your entry with one of the following first:
YGOTY - Young Guitarist Of The Year AGOTY - Acoustic Guitarist Of The Year GOTY - Guitarist Of The Year
...then send to:
Guitarist Magazine, Future Publishing 30 Monmouth Street, Bath BA1 2BW