This Month In Metal: November 2007

New releases from Queensryche, Primordial, Electric Wizard, Quiet Riot lost vocalist and two versions of Gorgoroth.

logo
Ultimate Guitar
0

Queensryche - Take Cover

Release Date: November 13 Label: Rhino Genres: Traditional metal/rock

Why QR decided to release this album, I do not know. I can think of two possibilities -- either to get out of their contract faster, or because they just happen to love the artists they've decided to cover (Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath and Queen to name a few). I'm gonna go with the last option and leave it at that.

Most of us who have heard QRs material since the glory days of the '80s-early '90s would agree that there's a certain spark lacking in their newer material. What's more surprising is that the lack of that spark spills over on this -- 11 coversongs. Maybe QR is just one of those bands who don't do covers very well. No shame in that, hell, if it keeps bands from making albums like this I'm all for it. Because this is just plain boring, bar hearing Geoff's take on a few great vocalists or so. Good performances all around, but except for "Innuendo" and "Neon Knights", there's not much value in this. Unless you're a diehard QR-fan, or just happen to collect coveralbums for some reason beyond us all, steer way clear of this. It's not even particularily good for being a cover album.

  • Rating: 3
  • Primordial - To the Nameless Dead

    Release Date: November 27 Label: Metal Blade Genres: Celtic/Folk/Pagan/Black Metal

    There're certain albums that just manage to evoke certain feelings in you. Be it violent, happy, sad, depressed or any other feeling, they just make you want do something, or evoke certain images in your head. The dark, raw energy with titles such as "As Rome Burns", "Heathen Tribes" and "No Nation On This Earth" certainly evokes some violent images in my history-conscious head. The fall of the Roman Empire, the onslaught of the germanic tribes and so on. The music on this album would accompany movie cuts with the aforementioned scenes perfectly.

    Primordial have managed to craft an album with flow -- the sections do not drag on longer than they have to, nor do they make you think "Oh, they should've left that part going for another four bars" (if analyzing music to that extent is your thing). It's a minor exhibition in balance, as they juggle folky themes with black metal, and also touch upon more progressive instrumentation. A minor complaint in regards to the vocals however -- the music would've benefitted from a more varied delivery.

    All in all, what keeps this album from being catapulted from "very good" to "brilliant" is that some of the sections don't always "stick". Not everything on it is as captivating or as catchy (sorry for using the term) as it could've been. But, all in all, it's a damn fine album and probably one of the best we'll hear this year.

  • Rating: 8
  • Electric Wizard - Witchcult Today

    Release Date: Novermber 12 Label: Above Records Genres: Stoner/Doom Metal

    Quite possibly the heaviest offering this year -- and undoubtebly one of the best too. Immensely heavy, sludgy and slow, this album drags along at slower-than-most-speed and will inevitably crush several bones in your body. The simple description is early Black Sabbath with a more modern production and more room in the low-end. But, slapping a contemporary metal production on this album would've done it a great disservice. Some of the prime qualities are the fuzzy, almost 1970's like distortion, the Bonham-esque sound to the drums and the tripped-out vocals somewhat hidden beneath the music. The songs are fairly long, around 6-8 minutes, and while not containing tons and tons of riffs, it's certainly interesting the whole way, especially amidst the somewhat tripped-out jam sections. It's not overly progressive, we're not treated to long technical passages but this is just one of those albums you should listen to in its entirety, with headphones in a dark room.

  • UG Review
  • Rating: 8.6
  • News And Tidbits From The Past Month

    On Sunday, November 25th, Quiet Riot vocalist Kevin DuBrow was found dead in his Las Vegas home. He was 52. It is now strongly rumoured that Quiet Riot will disband for good.

    Also deceased this month was 23-year-old drummer Witold 'Vitek' Kieltyka of Decapitated, who was killed in a carcrash in Belarus. Vocalist Adrian 'Covan' Kowanek was also injured in the crash, but is now recovering.

    As was reported today, Steve Harris of Iron Maiden will once again let his daughter Lauren Harris and her rock'n roll band open for Maiden. She will open for Maiden on the first leg of the "Somewhere Back in Time Tour" going from early February in India, to Toronto in mid-March. Let's all hope they come up with a decent direct support act, because Lauren Harris opening does not sit well with a lot of fans who have paid quite pricey tickets (around 60-100 euros for a ticket in Sweden or the London show).

    Two versions of the same band? That is reality now for Gorgoroth. A few weeks ago it was reported that the band had split up and were amidst a legal feud over the rights to the name of the band. The majority of the band kept plugging along and are currently on tour in Europe, but founding member Infernus just launched what he claims to be the official website and MySpace page, while putting the finishing touches to the upcoming album "Quantos Possund Ad Satanitatem Trahunt". So, until the legal feud is settled, it's gonna be two Gorgoroth's you'll hear about. I don't know about you, but this feud has potential of becoming very funny with some amusing complications.

    That's all for this (pretty short and uninteresting) month, thanks for reading.

    50 comments sorted by best / new / date

      WFMedia
      Hmmm... Queensryche doing a cover album? And a BAD one at that?!? Time to hang it up, fellas.
      Funeral Moon
      Rest in Peace to Vitek, once again. And Hails to Inferus. He is the founder, so he should have the right to the band's name.
      IsThereLoveInSp
      I thought Take Cover was awesome. Welcome to the Machine, Red Rain, and Almost Cut My Hair are really well done. The Primordial album rocks too, you called that one right.
      Matt_Head16
      Annoyed about Lauren Harris opening for maiden. This Lauren Harris should find her fan base elsewhere...She isn't going to find it amongst maiden fans with her girly avril-like pop/rock... Really..the fans come first..
      Fi-Fi
      When i first saw Maiden Trivium openened for them, together with lauren harris of course, but anyone here who says metalocore sucks had clearly never listened to it good enough, trivium for instance don't steal riffs, their style is just an extremer version of trash and heavy metal sound and i'm glad someone keeps that sound alive. hope i'll see maiden again on this tour, they're not comming to Holland are they?
      Absu_Kanpa
      Anyone trying to hardcore dance to Maiden will be slain on the spot.
      hahaha +24 beers to the man! I got Electric Wizard's release and it sinked in right away lol very satisfying, even if a bit homogenic. R.I.P. DuBrow, gone right up there with Rhoads \m/
      T.Rextacy
      Uranutan wrote: haha oh wow They called Quiet Riot metal.
      Quiet Riot's Metal Health was THE first metal album to hit no.1 on the charts. The FIRST! RIP Dubrow
      not_dead_enough
      I'm an Australian (from Adelaide) and I'm pissed at Maiden right now! Sydney get 2 shows and Adelaide gets none! They play in Perth, have a night off and then play in Melbourne! You tell me why us Adelaideans shouldn't be pissed off about that! And before you all tell me, yes a band as big as Maiden DOES have influence over the promoters, and I would expect this kind of behaviour from many other big bands, but not Maiden. I'm disappointed. RIP Vitek
      iceman1986
      lauryn harriss' band sucks dudes it gets u so bugged that no matter wat u will enjoy maiden rockin ur socks off as for the lauryn's band sucks thingy ... its personal experience ... hehhehhehh all the best folks!!
      M.B.MetalTabber
      Hellvitica wrote: Steve daughter's band better be good. I paid nearly a hundred bucks 4 this concert. Its probly gonna be my first and last Maiden concert.
      WHY? You don't pay for a gig to see the support band, they come free after you pay to see the headliners. If you don't wanna see the support act, turn up late.
      Reviewer Pete
      M.B.MetalTabber wrote: Hellvitica wrote: Steve daughter's band better be good. I paid nearly a hundred bucks 4 this concert. Its probly gonna be my first and last Maiden concert. WHY? You don't pay for a gig to see the support band, they come free after you pay to see the headliners. If you don't wanna see the support act, turn up late.
      The support band gets a cut from the money you pay for the ticket. Thus you have a perfectly good reason to moan a bit if they don't fit your liking. You'd think Maiden would care enough about their fans to at least bring in a support act that lies somewhat close to them in terms of sound - ie, a metal band.
      TheDriller
      tbarrettl wrote: The definition of a Noob is slang for idiot
      Moron, Noob is slang for "Newbie"
      zoomzoom
      Murderface x3 wrote: sevenchurches wrote: lol. If this was years ago, Steve's daughter would probably be welcomened, because of the almost personal bond between the fans and the band members. Now it's like: play the trooper so i can hardcore dance \m/!!1 Anyone trying to hardcore dance to Maiden will be slain on the spot.
      I definitely agree, i think people who hardcore dance, especially to music like maiden or other kickass metal should be burned alive...
      DustyBannister
      zoomzoom wrote: Murderface x3 wrote: sevenchurches wrote: lol. If this was years ago, Steve's daughter would probably be welcomened, because of the almost personal bond between the fans and the band members. Now it's like: play the trooper so i can hardcore dance \m/!!1 Anyone trying to hardcore dance to Maiden will be slain on the spot. I definitely agree, i think people who hardcore dance, especially to music like maiden or other kickass metal should be burned alive...
      Definitely agree. I haven't heard the Queensryche one, but I doubt I wanna. Not saying it won't be ok, but I know they could do better. As for Electric Wizard. Heard it, great stuff, I love the slow and sludgy doom metal. I would recommend it for fans of Acid Bath, Crowbar, My Dying Bride and stuff like that. Haven't heard Primordial's yet, but I am pretty sure it will be good.
      Rengori
      (about Gorgoroth) I don't know about you, but this feud has potential of becoming very funny with some amusing complications.
      It's all fun and games until Gaahl tortures someone in his basement.
      thetalkinghorse
      it's all fun and games until ghaal totures someone in the basement
      Ghaal totured that person because that person was trying to convert him to Christianity, and that pissed ghaal off. R.I.P. Kevin DuBrow you will be sorely missed
      tbarrettl
      Jackolas wrote: Notice hardly any metalc0re noobs leaving comments, that's cause a real band features at the top. "Lollooll who dey? 80s lolz! no drop a tunnin omfgzzzz"
      The definition of a Noob is slang for idiot which I am not and Metalcore in its small number is mostly just mainstream metal which I like because it resembles earlier Thrash Metal and anyway that is out of this context anyway and I disagree about take cover, I think it is a good as any attempts to do the same thing
      Murderface x3
      sevenchurches wrote: lol. If this was years ago, Steve's daughter would probably be welcomened, because of the almost personal bond between the fans and the band members. Now it's like: play the trooper so i can hardcore dance \m/!!1
      Anyone trying to hardcore dance to Maiden will be slain on the spot.
      Hellvitica
      Steve daughter's band better be good. I paid nearly a hundred bucks 4 this concert. Its probly gonna be my first and last Maiden concert.
      Rokeman
      i'm in Australia as well. you'd think being steve harris' daughter means the band would be good! but hey maybe musical talent isn't genetic. it sure isn't in my family! i'm the only musical one. i'll stop ranting now.
      KingGohma
      I'm in Australia too, and I'd much prefer a bigger band supporting like they usually have.
      sevenchurches
      lol. If this was years ago, Steve's daughter would probably be welcomened, because of the almost personal bond between the fans and the band members. Now it's like: play the trooper so i can hardcore dance \m/!!1
      Reviewer Pete
      Hellvitica wrote: Steve daughter's band better be good.
      They're not. Unless soft-ish pop/rock is your thing.
      Divinephyton
      mikiedaman wrote: is she gonna play the TO date? i hope she's at least good lookin....
      She is, surpisingly. And her band isn't that bad, I mean...it's good entertainment and a great time to have a few beers and just relax with your friends when you're waiting for Maiden to show up
      TheUnholy
      Nice one, again, Pete. I've never even heard of Primordial, but that florid description makes me want to go check them out.
      any14doomsday
      The primordial album, and the Electric Wizard album are both excellent, Fucking epic in there own ways !
      skate_guitar
      Jackolas wrote: Notice hardly any metalc0re noobs leaving comments, that's cause a real band features at the top. "Lollooll who dey? 80s lolz! no drop a tunnin omfgzzzz"
      What's your problem?
      brentondig
      Azwethinkwedo wrote: maiden are boring live anyway
      I guess someone missed out on buying tickets for this tour.
      Seth Shadows
      any14doomsday wrote: The primordial album, and the Electric Wizard album are both excellent, Fucking epic in there own ways !
      I Didn't like primordial. But Loveddd "Witchcult Today"
      Jackolas
      Notice hardly any metalc0re noobs leaving comments, that's cause a real band features at the top. "Lollooll who dey? 80s lolz! no drop a tunnin omfgzzzz"
      XenititesX
      Jackolas wrote: Notice hardly any metalc0re noobs leaving comments, that's cause a real band features at the top. "Lollooll who dey? 80s lolz! no drop a tunnin omfgzzzz"
      wtf? metalcore isnt in like drop a dude. and just cuz we like metalcore doesnt mean we dont know this stuff