This Month In Metal: October 2007

This month's summary features a bunch of new albums, touches upon news regarding upcoming releases and tours, as well as the compulsory stupid-but-too-funny-to-exclude-tidbit.

logo
Ultimate Guitar
0

This month's summary features a bunch of new albums, touches upon news regarding upcoming releases and tours, as well as the compulsory stupid-but-too-funny-to-exclude-tidbit.

Exodus - The Atrocity Exhibition... Exhibit A

Release Date: October 23 Label: Nuclear Blast Genres: Thrash metal

The new Exodus album turned out to be a very amibitous but didn't manage to go the whole 9 tracks. Brutal, well produced and well played, but somewhere around the halfway mark, it started to drag pretty bad. Gary Holt managed created a real thrash album, but herein lies the problem: real, true to the bone thrash isn't all that exciting when the songs crawl up towards 9-10 minutes. In the UG review (which features a lenghtier discussion than this summary), it's stated that "The Atrocity Exh.." lacks dynamics which would've helped the longer tracks stay interesting. In the end, the album turned out to be a bit of a mixed bag, with some great thrashers and a few filler-esque tracks.

  • UG Review
  • More Listening: Testament - The Gathering
  • Rating: 6.7
  • Soilwork - Sworn To A Great Divide

    Release Date: October 19 Label: Nuclear Blast Genres: Melodic Metal

    One of the more anticipated releases this fall, at least regarding bands connected in one way or another to the Gothenburg scene. Unfortunately, the album is quite workmanlike, containing little new. You get a feeling they just entered the studio and laid down a bunch of tunes, like it was their 9-5 job. I'll be lazy and steal a quote from the UG review: "Soilwork have their formula which works good enough for them, but it also gets a bit repetitive. The songs are very predictable and after my compulsory 7-10 listens, I'm frankly quite bored. The performances by the individual members leaves nothing to be desired, all the elements are there but the spark just never bursts into flame."

  • UG Review
  • More Listening: In Flames - Clayman
  • Rating: 6.3
  • Avenged Sevenfold - Avenged Sevenfold

    Release Date: October 30 Label: Warner Bros. Genres: Hard Rock, Metal, Metalcore

    I have not listened or reviewed this myself, thus I can't pass any judgement on it. However, it's one of the bigger releases this month, and hence it's included in the column. Check out the UG review if you're interested.

  • UG Review
  • Rating: 7.7
  • Opeth - The Roundhouse Tapes: Opeth Live

    Release Date: October 23 Label: Peaceville Genres: Progressive Death Metal

    Opeth's back catalogue is at this point in time, quite extensive. With a good number of albums under their belt, stringing together a set that pleases a majority of the fans is nigh impossible. And that's not even considering the length of their songs.

    But, as awhole, this is a damn fine live album. The sound is very good, the performance is what you'd expect from these guys, and the setlist covers all their albums. I have precious little to complain about, except that "Baying Of The Hounds" didn't make it onto here, being one of my Opeth favourites. But, you can't win them all. Overall -- a damn fine live album that won't disappoint you. It'll be a good substitute until their new album is out, which they've just begun recording.

  • UG Review
  • Rating: 8.5
  • News And Tidbits From The Past Month

    I'll start off with probably one of the most pleasing announcements this month. Black Sabbath, I mean, Heaven And Hell will record a new studio album together. Yes sir, Tony Iommi & Co will once again join forces to dish out some metal. I hope this pleases many a Sabbath-loyal, and gives Sharon Osbourne a headache. I've lost count of how many times I've seen headlines with Ozzy saying how much he'd love to do a new Sabbath album. It'll be interesting to see what they can conjure up together.

    It's also been rumoured that the new Metallica album is due in February, but I'm doubting it. I'm sure a few art exhibitions will throw the guys off their schedule, and maybe a Christmas concert or two will push the album back yet another month.

    Today (Oct 31st) a number of Iron Maiden tourdates were announced, and yours truly is pleased that his prediction in last month's column was more or less spot-on. A string of South American dates coupled with a handful of North American dates follows the India/Japan/Australia leg. Apparently there're more American shows to be announced at a later time, as well as the European dates (Nov 5th for Scandinavia).

    The award for Most Surprising (Or Maybe Not) Reunion of the month goes to At The Gates, who have decided to wrap it all up with a series of festivals (and maybe more?) in the summer of 2008. Apparently the band felt that they wanted to bid their fans a proper farewell, due to the circumstances of their breakup around a decade ago. Rumours are rampant about a Carcass + At The Gates tour, and as far as I'm concerned, that would be the shiznit.

    Controversy regarding Gorgoroth, and who has the rights to the name has arisen after the band splitting up with Infernus (guitar) on one side, Gaahl (vocals) and King ov Hell (bass) on the other. According to the band, rights regarding the name will be a matter of legal affairs. Gorgoroth, sans Infernus will however tour in 2007 with Nick Barker on drums and guitarists Teloch and Sykelig. In 2008, Hellhammer (Mayhem) will take over drumduties.

    Finally, in this month's column, Mike Portnoy of Dream Theater has auctioned his boxing robe which he's worn after every show on several world tours. The money proceeded to charity, and now you ask me, how much was it? 2700 dollars. Now, all is good, it's going to charity, but... who the hell shells out 2700 dollars on a sweaty, smelly, boxing robe?

    Well, that's all for the October installment. As usual, if you have suggestions, feel free to say so in the comments. See you next month.

    158 comments sorted by best / new / date

      solopractice
      A7X was kind of a let down, this album was more like experiments put to the test(they even added techno to their singing in one song) but they do have something that shows they aint letting go of metal like Critical Acclaim ( The Solos are worth the hear though )
      drummer_boyy
      o.k. the only reason I have a profile is because tonight i was reading these comments because i saw a picture of syn.first i would like to say i respect you opinion but downing on a band that can actually play with the screen name corey taylor is the most(excsuse my spelling) hypicritical thing you can posibly do.not saying that slipknot can't play but come on.when was the last time you heard corey sing, i mean realy sing.if you in fact are corey then thats cool too, i mean i love slipknot to death and they are great but at the same time singer to singer,not writer to writer, shadows slaps taylor in the face. i don't know about you but i think its funny that a band that most of you claim to hate and an album even more claim to hate is the main topic of most of the comments when at least ten other bands were mentioned.
      Corey Taylor wrote: A7X was never metal. i loved City of Evil, but im very dissapointed with the new record
      witch is cool. city of evil was the best.
      Tyler6606 wrote: avenged sevenfold are totally homo. take the makeup off and maybe ill take you seriously. scratch that, they cant make good music either.
      but you im sorry cant listen to anything less or more than power chords tuned down farther than a full step, and a singer who can actualy sing.oh and guess what THEY ALL WEAR MAKE UP LIVE AND ON THE ALBUM COVERS.GUESS WHAT ELSE, NOT ALL BUT AT LEAST 73% ARE GAY, AND A LITTLE MAKEUP DOSN'T MAKE YOU GAY OR A CHICK.....EAR SEX DOES!!!
      drummer_boyy
      drummer_boyy wrote: o.k. the only reason I have a profile is because tonight i was reading these comments because i saw a picture of syn.first i would like to say i respect you opinion but downing on a band that can actually play with the screen name corey taylor is the most(excsuse my spelling) hypicritical thing you can posibly do.not saying that slipknot can't play but come on.when was the last time you heard corey sing, i mean realy sing.if you in fact are corey then thats cool too, i mean i love slipknot to death and they are great but at the same time singer to singer,not writer to writer, shadows slaps taylor in the face. i don't know about you but i think its funny that a band that most of you claim to hate and an album even more claim to hate is the main topic of most of the comments when at least ten other bands were mentioned. Corey Taylor wrote: A7X was never metal. i loved City of Evil, but im very dissapointed with the new record witch is cool. city of evil was the best.Tyler6606 wrote: avenged sevenfold are totally homo. take the makeup off and maybe ill take you seriously. scratch that, they cant make good music either. but you im sorry cant listen to anything less or more than power chords tuned down farther than a full step, and a singer who can actualy sing.oh and guess what THEY ALL WEAR MAKE UP LIVE AND ON THE ALBUM COVERS.GUESS WHAT ELSE, NOT ALL BUT AT LEAST 73% ARE GAY, AND A LITTLE MAKEUP DOSN'T MAKE YOU GAY OR A CHICK.....EAR SEX DOES!!!
      after all of my ranting and accidentaly posting twice i realised i forgot to say that not every body is the same and every body likes something different and that i am quite a synic but i dont down on a band i dont like as it may seem i did.i like low end power chords too but i dont limit myself.what im trying to say is open your mind. if you dont like them thats cool.it may seem like i did but i did not do the next thing i will write.dont single any defenceless band out because they will never read it and you will never get the @$$ kicking you DESERVE.
      gmikey222
      GMoney4PREZ wrote: FallenGlory wrote: I love a7x for that fact that they are trying to do different things you listen to most bands their first CD is awesome then they just put the same shit out over and over again with different names so at least they are mixing it up plus their live shows are great thats waht i been saying... and hopefully ill see them live this month at least once maybe twice.
      Are theystill trying to sound like guns n' roses? because if they are, count me out.
      gmikey222
      drummer_boyy wrote: drummer_boyy wrote: o.k. the only reason I have a profile is because tonight i was reading these comments because i saw a picture of syn.first i would like to say i respect you opinion but downing on a band that can actually play with the screen name corey taylor is the most(excsuse my spelling) hypicritical thing you can posibly do.not saying that slipknot can't play but come on.when was the last time you heard corey sing, i mean realy sing.if you in fact are corey then thats cool too, i mean i love slipknot to death and they are great but at the same time singer to singer,not writer to writer, shadows slaps taylor in the face. i don't know about you but i think its funny that a band that most of you claim to hate and an album even more claim to hate is the main topic of most of the comments when at least ten other bands were mentioned. Corey Taylor wrote: A7X was never metal. i loved City of Evil, but im very dissapointed with the new record witch is cool. city of evil was the best.Tyler6606 wrote: avenged sevenfold are totally homo. take the makeup off and maybe ill take you seriously. scratch that, they cant make good music either. but you im sorry cant listen to anything less or more than power chords tuned down farther than a full step, and a singer who can actualy sing.oh and guess what THEY ALL WEAR MAKE UP LIVE AND ON THE ALBUM COVERS.GUESS WHAT ELSE, NOT ALL BUT AT LEAST 73% ARE GAY, AND A LITTLE MAKEUP DOSN'T MAKE YOU GAY OR A CHICK.....EAR SEX DOES!!! after all of my ranting and accidentaly posting twice i realised i forgot to say that not every body is the same and every body likes something different and that i am quite a synic but i dont down on a band i dont like as it may seem i did.i like low end power chords too but i dont limit myself.what im trying to say is open your mind. if you dont like them thats cool.it may seem like i did but i did not do the next thing i will write.dont single any defenceless band out because they will never read it and you will never get the @$$ kicking you DESERVE.
      have you heard shadows on any of the live recordings? im not saying coreys any better live, but neither are in the position to slap one another in the face.
      axeslinger0u812
      HexaDakota wrote: I don't care how good your music is; If you put on gobs of makeup and have the hugest, most annoyingly elaborate hair cuts imaginable while at the same time appeasing to whatever the latest counter culture fad is, I can't buy your CD. Just look at Fall Out Boy. Some of their songs are catchy and well written, but I refuse to be their fan because of everything they stand for offstage.
      I don't care what anyone says, 80's glam rock was sweet. who doesn't love Twisted Sister? that ****er...dee snyder... was wearing more makeup than all the A7X dudes combined. there are a lot of good bands that involved make up. KISS, DLR probably wore his fare share of rouge, etc. come on man. in regards to people claiming it IS innovative: avenged's new cd wasn't terrible, but wasn't really that great either. had some nice songs, but mixing a bunch of styles that other people have done into one cd doesn't make it innovative. Oingo Boingo, Guns and Roses, Iron Maiden, Pantera, etc. all bands pretty apparant in sevenfolds music. what it makes is an ok greatest hits cd.
      CrunchyMonkey
      Aziraphale wrote: Calling metal heads elitistic has nothing to do with being elitistic, it's just a statement. I never claimed to be better than anybody (which is what elitism is). Saying some people need to grow up and be more respectful to people who play or listen to music they don't get, or saying there's more to music than chugging powerchords as low as you can, has nothing to do with it. And that was basically what I was trying to get to with my post. I agree that Between The Buried and Me are a very creative band indeed, but so are A7X. They didn't write an 8-minute song with a polka beat and more accordions than guitar just to get on the radio and claim to be a metal band, did they? HIM are just as hated as A7X. What I'm going on about is that so few people in metal can actually appreciate creativity and originality no matter how heavy it is or what the band looks like. People don't look past feminism for the sake of good music. Fine with me if you can only listen to really heavy music. But that's no reason to talk shit about musicians who don't.
      Hey, I don't want to hate on your music tastes, I have never heard them and don't want to. But metal is a culture, and here come these guys who are just pretty boys wearing massive sunglasses and designer hats. Of course they aren't going to be respected in metal. If they grew some hair and beards, ditch the stupid makeup and got an actual metal vocalist, someone who doesn't grease back his hair and whine like a girl, MAYBE they might get some more respect as a metal band. But they choose to wear makeup and expensive clothing, and make distinctly unmetal music. Here's a review about METAL albums, and everybody is arguing about a7x (where the HELL does the x come from?) who aren't metal at all. Go to the hardcore forum and argue there. Please don't try to tell us metalheads that your music is more metal than ours is. No offence, but heavy guitars and double-kick doesn't make something metal.
      last_biscuit
      I just find it funny how many people sound ignorant and/or up their own arses in the vast majority of comments here. If people would just accept that not everyone likes the same thing and their isn't actually one 'best' band in the world. And heavy doesn't instantly equal better. And this is all coming from the lead guitarist of a semi-pro metal band. Yeah I'm gonna get slated for my opinion, but oh wellz...while people call me a twat or whatever for accepting all sorts as music, I'll enjoy listening to more than just the genre I play onstage. If you like a song, why be ashamed of what other people will say if ou admit to liking it.
      Tate5118
      ear sex is amazing... better with more than one person though... since you have 2 ears and all
      Aziraphale
      CrunchyMonkey wrote: Hey, I don't want to hate on your music tastes, I have never heard them and don't want to. But metal is a culture, and here come these guys who are just pretty boys wearing massive sunglasses and designer hats. Of course they aren't going to be respected in metal. If they grew some hair and beards, ditch the stupid makeup and got an actual metal vocalist, someone who doesn't grease back his hair and whine like a girl, MAYBE they might get some more respect as a metal band. But they choose to wear makeup and expensive clothing, and make distinctly unmetal music. Here's a review about METAL albums, and everybody is arguing about a7x (where the HELL does the x come from?) who aren't metal at all. Go to the hardcore forum and argue there. Please don't try to tell us metalheads that your music is more metal than ours is. No offence, but heavy guitars and double-kick doesn't make something metal.
      Fair enough, that's some very respectable arguments. Btw I never meant to say metalheads are elitistic, but that SOME or even A LOT are, just not all of them. Personally I would never judge a band because of how they look, but to each their own. And btw 7x means seven times, i.e. sevenfold.
      TheThingKills
      Death_Bat_6661 wrote: Avenged Sevenfold = Ear Sex despite the fact their new album is sadly a bit more radio friendly... eh, still good
      hhahaa you rule
      TheThingKills
      Oh and btw why the hell you guys argueing over different types of heavy music? Its all good. Metal and Hardcore both very good. Who cares about what they wear anyway. It's the music. Why don't we just all agree to hate rap, r'n'b and hip hop? lol
      kirk_pwns_jimmy
      axeslinger0u812 wrote: HexaDakota wrote: I don't care how good your music is; If you put on gobs of makeup and have the hugest, most annoyingly elaborate hair cuts imaginable while at the same time appeasing to whatever the latest counter culture fad is, I can't buy your CD. Just look at Fall Out Boy. Some of their songs are catchy and well written, but I refuse to be their fan because of everything they stand for offstage. I don't care what anyone says, 80's glam rock was sweet. who doesn't love Twisted Sister? that ****er...dee snyder... was wearing more makeup than all the A7X dudes combined. there are a lot of good bands that involved make up. KISS, DLR probably wore his fare share of rouge, etc. come on man. in regards to people claiming it IS innovative: avenged's new cd wasn't terrible, but wasn't really that great either. had some nice songs, but mixing a bunch of styles that other people have done into one cd doesn't make it innovative. Oingo Boingo, Guns and Roses, Iron Maiden, Pantera, etc. all bands pretty apparant in sevenfolds music. what it makes is an ok greatest hits cd.
      dont forget metallica they are without a doubt influenced by them
      drummer_boyy
      o.k. the only reason I have a profile is because tonight i was reading these comments because i saw a picture of syn.first i would like to say i respect you opinion but downing on a band that can actually play with the screen name corey taylor is the most(excsuse my spelling) hypicritical thing you can posibly do.not saying that slipknot can't play but come on.when was the last time you heard corey sing, i mean realy sing.if you in fact are corey then thats cool too, i mean i love slipknot to death and they are great but at the same time singer to singer,not writer to writer, shadows slaps taylor in the face. i don't know about you but i think its funny that a band that most of you claim to hate and an album even more claim to hate is the main topic of most of the comments when at least ten other bands were mentioned.
      Corey Taylor wrote: A7X was never metal. i loved City of Evil, but im very dissapointed with the new record
      witch is cool. city of evil was the best.
      Tyler6606 wrote: avenged sevenfold are totally homo. take the makeup off and maybe ill take you seriously. scratch that, they cant make good music either.
      but you im sorry cant listen to anything less or more than power chords tuned down farther than a full step, and a singer who can actualy sing.oh and guess what THEY ALL WEAR MAKE UP LIVE AND ON THE ALBUM COVERS.GUESS WHAT ELSE, NOT ALL BUT AT LEAST 73% ARE GAY, AND A LITTLE MAKEUP DOSN'T MAKE YOU GAY OR A CHICK.....EAR SEX DOES!!!
      SmileOfHavok
      jasonkan wrote: Limaj_daas wrote: Alter bridge's new album deserves a mention. i thought it was prty amazing. oh as well as brown brigade's debut album. agreed. touji-za-nai wrote: SmileOfHavok wrote: A7X are kickass. negative sir +1.
      It's just an opinion buddy. Chill out. And hell yeah, Alter Bridge needs a mention. Blackbird is amazing.
      drummer_boyy
      gmikey222 wrote: drummer_boyy wrote: drummer_boyy wrote: o.k. the only reason I have a profile is because tonight i was reading these comments because i saw a picture of syn.first i would like to say i respect you opinion but downing on a band that can actually play with the screen name corey taylor is the most(excsuse my spelling) hypicritical thing you can posibly do.not saying that slipknot can't play but come on.when was the last time you heard corey sing, i mean realy sing.if you in fact are corey then thats cool too, i mean i love slipknot to death and they are great but at the same time singer to singer,not writer to writer, shadows slaps taylor in the face. i don't know about you but i think its funny that a band that most of you claim to hate and an album even more claim to hate is the main topic of most of the comments when at least ten other bands were mentioned. Corey Taylor wrote: A7X was never metal. i loved City of Evil, but im very dissapointed with the new record witch is cool. city of evil was the best.Tyler6606 wrote: avenged sevenfold are totally homo. take the makeup off and maybe ill take you seriously. scratch that, they cant make good music either. but you im sorry cant listen to anything less or more than power chords tuned down farther than a full step, and a singer who can actualy sing.oh and guess what THEY ALL WEAR MAKE UP LIVE AND ON THE ALBUM COVERS.GUESS WHAT ELSE, NOT ALL BUT AT LEAST 73% ARE GAY, AND A LITTLE MAKEUP DOSN'T MAKE YOU GAY OR A CHICK.....EAR SEX DOES!!! after all of my ranting and accidentaly posting twice i realised i forgot to say that not every body is the same and every body likes something different and that i am quite a synic but i dont down on a band i dont like as it may seem i did.i like low end power chords too but i dont limit myself.what im trying to say is open your mind. if you dont like them thats cool.it may seem like i did but i did not do the next thing i will write.dont single any defenceless band out because they will never read it and you will never get the @$$ kicking you DESERVE. have you heard shadows on any of the live recordings? im not saying coreys any better live, but neither are in the position to slap one another in the face.
      live thats true. the rev is so much better live though.
      Lex Davids
      HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA that picture looks less BR00TAL that the AVA one opposite, whoever said metal isnt as image based as any other genres a lier.
      chinesechipmunk
      What the hell... Does Nick Barker get everywhere? For example, at a recent festival I'm pretty sure he was drumming for at least two main stage bands - one of whom was a headliner (Testament).
      diego sanchez
      6.3? Are you kidding me. the a7x cd deserves atleast a 9. its amazing how they can make thrashy metal songs like sceam and almost easy and then make a song like dear god and make that shit so beautiful. there arguabbly the best metal bands out rite now and have two of the best metal guitaris( syn aand zacky)
      |Heretic|
      As i don't listen to what most people consider 'main stream' metal, I can't comment on Avenged Sevenfold being main stream. I can however i say i really liked the new album. The songs mentioned by dethskar0 are actually two of songs i disliked most on the album (I liked Dear God quite a bit, i can appreciate good slow songs unlike some), and the best in my opinion A little Piece of Heaven and Scream. And dismissing a band because they wear makeup is actually quite Hypocritical, as many bands actually wear make up and the works. And No, I'm not talking about the likes of Lordi and Cradle of Filth (probably bad examples but hey). Mostly its just hard to notice. And as for all this stuff about writing for the radio, and not for themselves, I'm not sure if i agree or not... See, on the one hand, i can see how you'd want to write money, get stuff on the radio and make some money. However, something tells me that their music wouldn't get played much on the radio anyway, and they probably know it. However, i do agree that STST and Waken the Fallen are the best two avenged albums, musically AND lyrically.
      Cannibalkyle16
      Havok19 wrote: ooblah wrote: lol everytime A7X gets brought up in a forum the topic completely switches to what album was better yep its a hot topic
      haahahhaahahahah def want to buy the opeth one
      Tremonti333
      Limaj_daas wrote: Alter bridge's new album deserves a mention. i thought it was prty amazing. oh as well as brown brigade's debut album.
      I hear ya
      HexaDakota
      I don't care how good your music is; If you put on gobs of makeup and have the hugest, most annoyingly elaborate hair cuts imaginable while at the same time appeasing to whatever the latest counter culture fad is, I can't buy your CD. Just look at Fall Out Boy. Some of their songs are catchy and well written, but I refuse to be their fan because of everything they stand for offstage.
      whereami24
      i got Avenged Sevenfolds new album the day it came out. i cant stop listening to it. its the greatest ^-^ but yea i wouldnt consider them metal. they put alot of different styles into this album.
      party_on_wayne
      Lex Davids wrote: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA that picture looks less BR00TAL that the AVA one opposite, whoever said metal isnt as image based as any other genres a lier.
      and you can't spell. I respect Zacky Vengence and Synester Gates (retarded names aside) for their guitar playing. I doubt I will ever be able to play like them, but I do not like A7X. I think that it is safe to say that UG was scraping the bottom of the barrel for material this month. RIP Vitek
      No Seatbelt
      Avenged Sevenfold could be heavy if they f*cking wanted ; But they've decided to let the fans that are older than 14-years-old down...again! Goodbye, A7x...thanks for the good times. Opeth and Exodus? Hell yes. Opeth is one of the best bands around today.
      Murderface x3
      plakkert wrote: Avenged Sevenfold gives you an aural orgasm
      Not me, dude. I happen to be a man.
      Aziraphale
      Arch Bernard wrote: wow... do you not know shit? nobody will deny the elitism in metal, but if you will look at yourself, you just made the most elitist remark on the entire page. Avenged Sevenfold shows no more creativity than any band. in fact, they show less than most. look at Between the Buried and Me. 100% creative force. they know no bounds, 6 rather scrawny guys who play their own brand, and they are something like worshipped by lots of metal heads. homogeny in metal, while not quite dead yet, isn't really well embodied by spending hours in front of a mirror. but people would look past feminism for the sake of good music. look at HIM. while i personally don't like them, metal heads eat that shit up. you, my friend, are a moron or an elitistic, close-minded snobhole. that's not to say that we aren't as well. you just don't know why and haven't actually seen the characteristics yet. we trash on A7X because they keep promising good albums but never really deliver. the makeup just makes them easy targets.
      Calling metal heads elitistic has nothing to do with being elitistic, it's just a statement. I never claimed to be better than anybody (which is what elitism is). Saying some people need to grow up and be more respectful to people who play or listen to music they don't get, or saying there's more to music than chugging powerchords as low as you can, has nothing to do with it. And that was basically what I was trying to get to with my post. I agree that Between The Buried and Me are a very creative band indeed, but so are A7X. They didn't write an 8-minute song with a polka beat and more accordions than guitar just to get on the radio and claim to be a metal band, did they? HIM are just as hated as A7X. What I'm going on about is that so few people in metal can actually appreciate creativity and originality no matter how heavy it is or what the band looks like. People don't look past feminism for the sake of good music. Fine with me if you can only listen to really heavy music. But that's no reason to talk shit about musicians who don't.
      The_Seventh_Sin
      i liked the new a7x album city of evil you could tell they were starting to sell out a little now there being creative and i like that
      drummer_boyy
      solopractice wrote: A7X was kind of a let down, this album was more like experiments put to the test(they even added techno to their singing in one song) but they do have something that shows they aint letting go of metal like Critical Acclaim ( The Solos are worth the hear though )
      thank you
      iamk0ng
      ooblah wrote: lol everytime A7X gets brought up in a forum the topic completely switches to what album was better
      kinda like megadeth/metallica
      killing spree
      its cute how u guys get worked up over this shit. listen to the other albums and maybe we wont have this problem. oh nvm opeth is on there. just keep arguing sorry.
      TooFast
      psychokiller99 wrote: rebreh wrote: There is not a lot of good music these past years. The musoc scene is realy stale right now. where have u been? the music scene has been stale for a very long time now,
      I would disagree. You just need to broaden your music tastes. Or look in different places. I have tons of great music that has come out in the past year
      Arch Bernard
      Calling metal heads elitistic has nothing to do with being elitistic, it's just a statement. I never claimed to be better than anybody (which is what elitism is). Saying some people need to grow up and be more respectful to people who play or listen to music they don't get, or saying there's more to music than chugging powerchords as low as you can, has nothing to do with it. And that was basically what I was trying to get to with my post. I agree that Between The Buried and Me are a very creative band indeed, but so are A7X. They didn't write an 8-minute song with a polka beat and more accordions than guitar just to get on the radio and claim to be a metal band, did they? HIM are just as hated as A7X. What I'm going on about is that so few people in metal can actually appreciate creativity and originality no matter how heavy it is or what the band looks like. People don't look past feminism for the sake of good music. Fine with me if you can only listen to really heavy music. But that's no reason to talk shit about musicians who don't
      elitism is thinking and acting like you are better than us. you are acting like you are better than us. saying that we as a subculture need to grow up and saying that we don't like those guys because of the way that they look is saying that you are grown up and that you are better than us. that you are elite. hence, elitism. clearly you are using words you don't quite understand. maybe you aren't saying that we are all elitists, but you are saying that you are better than we are for liking Avenged Sevenfold. HIM may have been a bad example, but look at Alexi Laiho from Children of Bodom. eyeliner, nailpolish, quite the feminine male, but he is considered by many (once again, not actually me... i think he is a horrible guitarist) to be the shit. throwing accordian in the middle of a song doesn't make anything creative or original. they call that a shallow gimmick. it is meant to make people think that they are doing something innovative. all they are doing is putting in another instrument. it doesn't take creativity to put a polka song on a non-polka album. what it takes is a will to be trashed by their fanbase. it would be creativity if they made the polka beat themselves, or at least played it themselves. the "creativity" you are admiring is what we call a "producer" he is a person who tailors an album. the band told him that they wanted that in a song, and he made some calls and got some people and those people and the producer made the beat. what you are doing is glorifying D4L for the beat to laffy taffy. they didn't do it. they just paid for it. no innovation, no creativity. even if there was all that, what people are saying is that those guys are not a metal band. nobody can deny that fact. the reason metal heads all talk about how those guys suck and nobody says that Coheed and Cambria sucks, even though there are undeniable similarities between the two (fyi if you want creativity, check Coheed), is that nobody tried to play Coheed in the metal market. Coheed started out in the same pile as My Chemical Romance, but happen to be more metal than Atreyu and A7X, but less metal than most metal. there is no bad blood around the bands that don't pretend
      rocker301
      drummer_boyy wrote alot ear sex is way better than any of the bands that came out with an album this month
      sgt_syko
      ok i will personally state that if your saying there not a metal band than bands like ac/dc arent "metal" or metallica who people dont give the same respect to anymore because they went "soft" when really there just growing and developing as a band to in a sense... seperate themselves from the rest not to call that elitism isnt the word i would call it being unique getting away from the stuff that everyone else is doing with low heavy riffs isnt bad if you saying avenged sevenfold is soft there not think about how many bands would you be calling soft if you were calling them soft all the bands before them in eras before them like ac/dc hell call this crazy or not led zepplin when they had first come out they where considered metal laugh or not your calling some of the best well renowned "metal" bands of different times soft because of a change and distortion and vocals look all im trying to say is take away some of the heavy distortion and screaming vocals and see that its all telling a story of some sort point there are differnt forms of metal tenacious d acuostic metal metallica speed thrash motorhead one of the first and that genre oh yeah one more thing how many times do you think bands like cradle of filth or children of bodom of other bands mess up and with all that distortion you wouldnt know it takes little effort to play fast with heavy distortion to cover mistakes but lot of effort to play slower with little to no distortion at all
      mason092
      vanceboy wrote: i heard the new avenged sevenfold....i doubt i'll want to hear it again.
      I thought so when I first heard it, but it is realy growing on me. When I first listened to CoE, I thought "meh", but now I love it. WTF is the album that got me into A7X.
      afterliferox
      Tyler6606 wrote: avenged sevenfold are totally homo. take the makeup off and maybe ill take you seriously. scratch that, they cant make good music either.
      yeah okay...well avenged sevenfold is an awesome band and they don't give a f*ck what anyone thinks about their music.they make music for themselves and the fans who like what they do and will anyways be there supporting them. by the way i'm almost 100% sure that they're way better than you!!! OH BURN!!!! hahaha