What's So Bad About Shredding

There is certainly a valid argument that an over-reliance on self-indulgent "wank" is destructive to music itself, but is a complete rejection of actual playing ability really the answer? I think not.

logo
Ultimate Guitar
0

When the 90's came around with its Seattle-sounding wave of "grunge" bands, I was already a big fan of music, and not the big hair and lipstick variety I saw infesting MTV. Like those proponents of the Grunge and Alternative styles, I too realized that the bazillion glam bands parading in drag in videos featuring at least five megatons of pyrotechnic explosives were headed for oblivion, but why did guitar ability have to follow suit?

It seemed to me, having been obsessed with the likes of Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera, Randy Rhoads, Death, etc., that the problem was not guitar nor especially knowing how to play one. The problem was often talented musicians taking the easy way out and signing record deals to join the throng of regurgitated rejects polluting the airwaves with pointless love ballads.

My attitude at the time was "**** Grunge!" and I was delighted at the image of Kurt Cobain's splattered skull on the inside sleeve of Slayer's Divine Intervention album. I cheered as band after band succomed to the inevitable demise of their lead singers and all the while my favorite metal bands were still kicking major ass (except for Metallica who were on serious probation at the time).

But then I realized that every time I went to jam with anybody I inevitably found myself plodding along to another C-G-D rhythm, suffering through the boring old arrangements and tiresome chord progressions because knowing how to play was not "cool." In fact, having an inkling of ability at my instrument meant that I was a relic of the past, stuck in the 80's corporate glam factory with the likes of White Snake or (insert your favorite hair band here)

...and there are some decent ones.

I found it quite distressing that knowing how to play was somehow a bad thing, and even more, NOT knowing how to play was somehow a good thing. Uh...okay?

How many times have you heard this excuse: "I don't learn the scales and chords because I feel it would affect the way I play!"

There is no excuse for sloppiness, and though it may have been trendy for a while being a bad player is not the way to succeed. Unfortunately, though, the world of guitar is far too full of players who just dink around and call it music.

But here's the plain and simple truth - taking a lesson will not ruin your "art." Sure, it will change the way you play, but for the better. Coming to this website is a step in the right direction, but look beyond that tab you're interested in. Read some of the lessons, too.

And if you like alternative music, Grunge or whatever - great. But consider Candlebox or Alice in Chains, where would they be without their guitars? Smashing Pumpkins have some brilliant stuff. You can write high quality rock 'n roll and actually know how to play your instrument!

Don't fall into the laziness trap. You don't have to sound like Joe Satriani to be a good player, but don't be afraid of learning how. Learning to shred, or even learning to play semi-proficiently is not going to consume your soul or compromise your precious creativity. In fact, having a little bit of skill might just set you apart from the crowd. It might even get you the gig.

Let someone else be the lazy one!

134 comments sorted by best / new / date

    Stagger Lee
    I agree that you should learn how to play properly, but in my opinion, shredding is not the way to go. I think just firing off random notes at light-speed sounds crappy. I mean, it just doesn't make for a catchy tune. How often do you get a Yngwie Malmsteen tune stuck in your head? Good article nonetheless. 8/10
    TheEndHasNoEnd
    That bit about Kurt Cobain....it wrecked the whol article for me. It truly did sicken me. Other than that, it was decent, I'd give it a 6 out of 10, you made some good points.
    NevermorePsalm
    Stagger Lee wrote: I agree that you should learn how to play properly, but in my opinion, shredding is not the way to go. I think just firing off random notes at light-speed sounds crappy. I mean, it just doesn't make for a catchy tune. How often do you get a Yngwie Malmsteen tune stuck in your head? Good article nonetheless. 8/10
    Random notes isnt shred, its Slayer. Guthrie Govan, Shawn Lane, Stanley Jordan, Jason Becker, Marty Friedman, Dimebag, they are all stuck in my head, and I'm never letting them out. Ok article, really had nothing to do with shred though.
    Robert_Terry
    Whilst i agree with lots of this artical, especialy the knowing how to play the guitar. All people should try and better them selfs on the guitar at all times But as for the bit about liking seeing kurt cobains skull in an album sleve...fu*king weak man. Im not for one minuet saying i like him, but he still has family. And no one deserves to see there father/brother/son Etc being mocked. He might not have cared too much about his life, but in that case it is better to forget about him. Not mock him. Slayer, great musicains...arseholes otherwise
    psykopoo
    Man you are a sick bastard. "I was delighted at the image of Kurt Cobain's splattered skull on the inside sleeve of Slayer's Divine Intervention album." Theres just something wrong about that, Kurt Cobain was great, he may not have been a technically brilliant player but i think (being an out and out metal fan myself) that his songs were utterly brilliant and some of the best stuff released during the 90's, and I feel you have entirely the wrong attitude toward music
    Noosie
    I dont like Cobain at all but thats just awful to be thrilled at somebodies death.... on a lighter note shred although not my favorite type of music is almost always very harmonious and always has tons of theory behind it. most the time i noticed that shredders tend to use the "Harmonic minor scale" which is probably my 3rd fav scale(next to Melodic minor and Mixolydian) i simply marval at the fact that these people can play as fast as they do and still keep it so emotional and make you want more. I would totally agree that todays guitarists know absolutly nothing about music theory at all except for a few exceptions like Mike Einzberg ( or however the hell you spell it) from Incubus hes actually a stunning guitarists.
    toomeyboy
    Being able to shred doesn't make you a good guitarist. It's hard making something catchy and simple, and I've never had a shredded solo stuck in my head. But I do agree that you should acctually learn to play. It would be much easier for Kirt Hammet or Jimi Hendrix to come up with a simple catchy song that some kid that doesn't know any scales or chords. And Slayer's an a*sshole to do that.
    Tim_5150
    hmmm.... i agree that music nowadays is a bit "weak" compared to back then... they no longer have instrument solos that lay down even the most basic scales, which is quite pathetic. if they're good enough to "make it" the i'd at least expect them to trhow in a little technicality now and then.... i'm not 100% against "no-solo" bands, i quite enjoy listening to some altenativw/ new wave/ grunge bands (e.g. toad the wet sprocket, nirvana, vast, foo fighters) but only becasue they're capable of making songs that show their dynamics and flexibility, not just " G x5, D x5, C x5"....
    Mikeoman
    Eh, I like a little bit of everything from both ends of the scale, and in between. Its whether the tune sounds good, not whether the guy can do a minorsus2sus4 lightning fast arpeggio or if he can only do power chords. Who cares? Its whatever you like. I don't listen to just Nirvana or just (insert shredder guy here), I listen to both!
    scottishmob
    This article made no sense. I more than agree that learning your instrument is the way to go and that most music today shows almost no talent but I don't understand how the grunge hating came about. The vast, vast majority know their instruments (Mike Mcready, Kim Thayil). Nirvana isn't the only grunge band. You talk about how they signed deals and took the easy way out by putting out pointless love ballads etc, but no grunge band did that actually. Thats glam rock. You ask what would Alice in Chains be without guitars which has nothing to do with your article, it pointless and has no difference. If I've misunderstood you, alright. But you say you love Slayer and Pantera, and other metal bands (shred stuff) and they're the most guitar heavy bands ever.The title doesn't work with the article at all. Your thoughts just came off as confusing and I get the idea that you're part of the sadly misinformed part of UG.
    mikecappa
    Grunge, and people who play sloppy arnt taking the easy way out, there are different genres of music. Grung or alternative rock is mainly 3 chord and metal is fast in your face rhythms and insanly fast guitar solos. you cant compare the two then bash grunge because it isnt metal. they are two seperate things and who says music isnt good if it isnt metal
    rockergurl09
    I agree! (with the article) and also wonder why in the world grunge got so popular when it's far beaten in the guitar skills category by hair metal and the other stuff before grunge. However, playing sloppy is not exactly taking the easy way out assuming you have something else to back it up. b/c the lyrics take skill as well. For example, Nirvana. I can play better guitar than Kurt w/ only 3 years experience, but his lyrics are amazing.
    rockergurl09
    lespaul_rentals wrote: some shredders are mindless, true. but shredding takes skill. just like blues takes skill. so why are bands like Green Day taking the stage of mainstream music? why did Nirvana take off? because they know how to write good music. they're talented not at playing an awesome solo, but rather combining lyrics and music to create a terrific song. the comment about kurt cobains skull pissed me off...really...how inconsiderate of you.
    Green Day does not have out of the ordinary lyrics. They are only good at making catchy stuff that makes money. Nirvana on the other hand does have good lyrics.
    Strat_Monkey
    Someone may have already said this, (I can't be arsed reading through all these comments to check) but even though Kurt very obviously did not possess much traditional technical guitar ability, he could control feedback extraordinarily well, crafting melodic solos with noise alone, and got some great, original tones out of his instrument because he really knew his stuff when it came to string guages, scale lengths, etc. With guitarists like Jimi Hendrix, Tom Morello and Matt Bellamy becoming guitar heroes for their ability to craft exquisite noise and tones with their guitar while keeping a melody, is it so wild to include Kurt Cobain in the category of Guitar Hero?
    mikecappa
    but even though Kurt very obviously did not possess much traditional technical guitar ability, he could control feedback extraordinarily well, crafting melodic solos with noise alone
    I totally agree with Strat_monkey because Pennyroyal tea is a great example of Kurt's ability to make a solo out of feetback and get that unique guitar quality that you hear in litium and pennyroyaly tea
    mikecappa
    For all the fags that say Kurt had no talent and he ruined music or whatever. It's not that he couldn't play, it's that he chose to sound "childlike". and if you would have done a bit of research, you would have heard or read dave grohl say that they wanted to sound and play easy. And as much as i love Metallica, after hearing random notes sliding up and down the fretboard repeadidly in every song get annoying and repeditive after a while, hense why they DON'T "shred" anymore. and with all the metal bands playing at the time like metallica, for a band that simply used the 3 chord grunge sound to take over the airwaves and mainstream and become the sound of a generation, then they're doing something right. And although Kurt didnt express his talent by "shredding" the guitar, he showed it with his raspy screaming that no one else can immitate, and his deep, heartfelt but dark lyrics that obviously touched or changed some people. You might call him a modern day John Lennon. But mind you Im not saying Kurt is better than John, but Kurt was a huge Lennon fan and it shows. So to all of you who say music sucks unless you can "shred" **** you
    nextslash
    Last time i listened to Johnny Cash, Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan or the Beatles, I dont remember hearing any ripping solos. That shouldnt take away from the music they poured their heart and soul into to create. personally im not into much shred but i have a lot of respect for them for spending years crafting their trade and making music they enjoy. i think greenday is crap like everyone else, but hes making money making music so i envy him a little. this is my first post, i signed up just to respond to this article
    zebrahead234
    as of now, im trying my hardest to learn to shred, but the licks i practice are often worn out and boring, a few are very musicsl, but only a few. the reason i'm trying to shred is as boubonic chronic said: not to be limited by technique. speed isnt something i like to use all the time, but like to have. its like buying an overdrive/booster pedal when you already have a good tube amp, just incase you need a little more gain
    dimebag7
    Man buckethead is the worst shredder alive, hes seriously the player i hate the most. I think greenday is better.
    nirvallica
    You're hypicritical... You say that good guitaring became un-cool at that time and yet you also state that your favourite bands were STILL kicking ass? Showing that they still played good guitar. Its called the mainstream retard. What sounds good is popular, what you've got to do is look beyond the mainstream. And not everyone that came out at that time had bad guitarist. Jeff Buckley, guy from Pearl Jam, Johnny Greenwood etc.
    sixx66
    The bands that got laid to waste were crap bands like Poison.
    CapnKirk will be unhappy to learn that the crap bands like poison that were laid to waste still tour and do sold out shows (apparently more in europe) I know that cinderella is going on tour this summer, thats sweet, but capnkirk makes a good point about comparing metal to grunge like an apple to a dog, thats classic
    HelpMeImHungry
    Im a fan of nirvana, but I enjoy learning shred techniques, its a technical art form. being really good at guitar is cool
    lazyskaterlump
    Gman400 : Yeah it's not selling out it's just changing your music and your image to appeal to the masses of little girls and whiny boys struggling through their pre-pubescent stage that's all.
    if you want to make money in music and that is the only way you wouldnt? The whole music scene can force you into doing something you dont want to do so you can open a new door to do whatever you want. And why is it that whenever anyone talks about confomity they always hint at emo? most of the emo bands are really good musically anyway
    arghhimapirate
    rockinlewis wrote: i think this article was shit. its just an excuse to bash Kurt Cobain. i dont get what your trying to say when you say "there is no excuse for sloppiness". pardon me but since when did the guitar HAVE to be played perfectly? when was it that every player had to try and aspire to play faster and more boringly than the last guy? guitar is a way of expressing yourself, if people WANT to play sloppilly then who are you to tell them otherwise? what is it to ANYONE how someone else expresses themselves? get a grip man
    I agree, sometimes playing sloppily sounds better than playing perfectly, and perfection could kill the song, as long as it sounds good, and you like it, isn't that the most important thing?
    Gman400
    Yeah it's not selling out it's just changing your music and your image to appeal to the masses of little girls and whiny boys struggling through their pre-pubescent stage that's all. Ok that was a little rough. My definition of selling out is when a band changes their style or goes against their ideals to appeal to a record label and make money. However, it's not like every band on a major label sucks. It's just the cookie cutter ones that aren't doing what they really want, but rather what a certain group of people really want to see them doing (which tends to suck.)
    WiKiD
    The problem was often talented musicians taking the easy way out and signing record deals to join the throng of regurgitated rejects polluting the airwaves with pointless love ballads.
    When will people realize it's not SELLING OUT, its called being a good enough band to get signed. Being a song writer myself, i couldn't give a crap what i write about, so long as it sounds good
    cap'nkirk
    Besides, who cares what's cool. Play the way you want to play and the honesty will bring people in more than what's cool. That's how movements start.
    cap'nkirk
    Let's be fair though, just because one shreds doesn't mean anything really. Yngwie shreds and everything he does sounds the same to me. Being open minded music will always be more exciting than songs with a lot of notes. I enjoy a good shred, but I also enjoy a good sloppy guitar part, it's all in how it moves the listener. To compare Nirvana to Metallica or Slayer is like comparing a dog to an apple. It makes no sense. It's always seemed to me that the shredders of the 80s were just pissed because they weren't in the focus anymore. The cream rose of the bands survived though. It's not like Slayer was a big MTV staple before Nirvana. They sold to the same people they always have. Metallica sold more records in 91-92 then they had in all of the 80s. The bands that got laid to waste were crap bands like Poison. I don't think any self respecting rocker minded that much. Also, it's not like the Seattle scene didn't have their rockers. Listen to Soundgarden, listen to Alice in Chains or the Melvins. Not quite metal, not shred, but they did rock. Also, If you took any sort of pleasure from the death of anyone person, you're really a sick f*ck.
    sixx66
    Cock rock (ie hair metal or "glam rock") is awsome!! I'd rather hit sunset strip in 1981 with motley crue than go to my friends basement and cry about my girlfriend cheating on me taking back sunday. who wouldnt? anyway im a big fan of technical guitarists like al di meola, yngwie, satch, vai, friedman, etc. Cobain could write a kick ass song that you sang along to for days, and GNR could write a song that grabbed you by the balls too, so who cares, good tunes is good tunes.
    Strange Reality
    i liked it and thought that it was true.. he did seem a litle harsh on grunge.. but i don't care cause i hate it too
    Doc Turtle
    Not a bad article. Like some of the others said, it was a bit of a rant, but it was still decent. I agree with you that it never hurts to learn chords and scales...I myself don't know any scales, but I love messing around with chords and I find that it helps you create new music, not just the 3-4 riff power chords. Anyone can do that. But at the same time, they are simple and catchy. Normally only musicians will appreciate the work people put into playing instrument and how they play, while most people will hear that song and never really hear what is being played. They don't hear the upstroke or be able to tell if some one is sliding from 3-5 or tapping 3-4-5. There is nothing wrong with...argh..now I'm ranting...ok...that'll do pig, that'll do..
    Bubonic Chronic
    But as for the bit about liking seeing kurt cobains skull in an album sleve...fu*king weak man. Im not for one minuet saying i like him, but he still has family. And no one deserves to see there father/brother/son Etc being mocked. He might not have cared too much about his life, but in that case it is better to forget about him. Not mock him.
    Oh, piss off! If you knew anything about Kurt Cobain, he'd have laughed harder than anyone at the photo. Jesus, read up on the man before going of on your holier-than-though moralist rampage.
    scottishmob
    Oh yeah, and I have Divine Intervention... There is no picture of Kurt Cobain in it.
    Bubonic Chronic
    And, BTW, I was referring to my past self and my past set of beliefs (which have changed) when I was attending high school in 1994. At the time Nirvana pissed me off because I was trying really hard to get up to speed with Testament, Megadeth, even beginning to dig some jazz, and Kurt became successful without all of that skill. Well I've since realized that Kurt Cobain was not an instrumentalist like me. He was more of a folk musician whose lyrics were the driving force behind the music - much like Bob Dylan who also sucks at guitar and writes AMAZING music that I love. Again, not an instrumentalist. So don't put words in my mouth. If you read carefully, I never said I didn't like Nirvana (did I?) I was expressing my frustration at trying to build my skills using Alex Skolnick and Marty Friedman as role models and countless jack-offs were making millions playing three chords... And in case you're wondering, I have plenty of three-chord songs. One goes A-C9-G-D (well okay, four chords), another goes Dm-G-C-Am (alright, four again,) but not everything I write is phenomenally difficult. It's great to create grooves with three chords, but can you create a three chord groove in one key, then jump to a key that is extremely difficult to transition to? Three chords, three more chords - add seven accidentals? Good luck.
    chickonmytip9
    its_sublime07 wrote: wow, this was just a rant, i dont see how this is a column with any useful information in it. All you even did was bitch about how you dont like untalented music. Looks like its time to broaden your horizens. Me myself, i wouldnt say im a fan of shredding, but i wouldnt say im not. I think im just a fan of interesting music and killer melodies. cobain wasnt all that bad, I used to love the guy, and some of his stuff is pretty ****in cool. Slayer isnt really my cup of tea, but metallica is awesome, especially the black album. Well I'd say im done ranting about this pointless rant.
    yeah, he pretty much said it.
    kenni.kuhlmannc
    Most 'shredders' (or players who simply like to, and devote almost all their time to, playing 'fast), seem to be missing very basic musical skills/concept. They cannot often play slow (with quality tone/timbre -- not the silly, ofen weak, 'ping' that gets hyper-amplified), and melodically know what the next note's pitch or what it's gonna souind like -- they often simply learn physical patterns, and repeat them. And, of course, there's the variations in rhythm (outside of consecutive note durations of the same value) -- everything is barrage of boring notes of repeated duration. This is not what musicianship is about....
    kenni.kuhlmannc
    (of course there are a bunch of musicians that can also 'shred' -- I was speaking of those that simply only shred)
    alexcorreia
    The thing that shredder wannabes fail to understand is that people like Satriani, Malmsteen, Vai, etc didn't become famous because they shredded, it was the innovative factor that made it happen. It was a breath of fresh air to hear people playing the electric guitar like that in the 80's. The seventies had already a lot of guitar virtuosos, but these guys in the eighties pushed it further with more gain, faster licks, sweep picking, whammy bar, exotic scales, etc. Now shredders cry because nobody but a few care anymore. Have you ever heard the expression, "been there, done that"? That's why, it's been done to death, now move on. It's so easy to understand why certain people become famous and the shredmania keeps attacking everybody and every style that doesn't has shredding in it. Nirvana became famous for the same reason Elvis, The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Guns N' Roses, Metallica, Korn, My Chemical Romance did. There was nothing like it, they appeared and people loved it. Not because the guitar player was amazing or not. Since when is music about technical ability? If all music that existed was shredding I would commit suicide. I enjoy it like I enjoy all other styles, but for most people it's just noise. People (non musos) love the silly intro to "Sweet child of mine" and if you showed them Michael Batio playing on two necks, they would only laugh at his silly hairstyle and think "what a douche". Things like this are only impressive to someone that understands it. Imagine an complex scientific formula, for someone who understands it it's great, for someone that doesn't, it's nothing more than scribbles. If you like to shred and listen to shred, great, carry on, no one is stopping you, but don't get mad because no one gives a damn about it anymore.
    ccannon1
    Not all people who can play shred, just because you can play super fast doesn't mean you can play, it means you don't know what phrasing and melody are.
    c0rnblakes
    I'm not convinced shred is a form of art, I think it encourages people to treat the instrument like a party trick or a sport. The purpose of good technique is to break barriers between your hands and those wonderful melodies you hear in your head. I'm not gonna make vague statements like "shred has no feeling" it just sounds like shit.
    Jacob_Reed
    i love shred guitar. it's my favorite form of art, but i also love melodic classics. when that sax solo from "us and them" comes on I nearly orgasm then close my eyes to get into it. Music that sounds good is all that matters.
    getsinyoureyes
    Under_The_Oath wrote: Spanner wrote: Ok, please do not take offence to this anybody, I mean you are all entiled to your own opinions on whatever topic as am I. But I absolutely DESPISE shred guitar playing in all ways shapes and form. Im sorry but it IS just a guitar playing race (NO IT IS!!). 99% of shredders are absolutely hopelessly talented at playing ANY instrument. I myself like nearly all styles of music bar one or two, and would listen to it a few hours a day. But I bought a few albums in this "STYLE" (it is NOT an actual musical style btw!!) known as shred, and I listened to them atleast one hour a week, and then binned all of them. Shred unlike all other forms of music, lacks emotion, it does not(mostly) have good riffs (its all about the lead guitar in your face) beats anything. Its all just a load of show off fast lead guitar crap, all about the shredder hogging the mic for a few minutes. A band is nothing with the lead guitarist doing it this way (FACT). I havent listened to a shred tune in nearly two years and I am a lot more happy without it. Trust me guys DONT (if your like me of course) try to play shred guitar for your careers, you will get NO WHERE!!, I mean if you ask someone who Vai or Malmsteen or Satch are who doesnt play a guitar, they are not going to have a clue; why? because shredders get NO WHERE in comparison with other great players such as Clapton or Hendrix. Sure guitarists like Cobain were arguably "bad" technically speaking, but you have to think about one thing; their music is a HEll of a lot better!. Well I hope I havent offended anyone, but think about what I said before you flame me. Spanner. Yep, I'm with Spanner on this. I mean, I don't hate shred like he does, but it really is just about showing off how good you are, with no emotion whatsoever.
    I'm with both of them. Honestly, I've been playing guitar for 7 years. I can play fairly darn fast if I want to, but when I write songs I never include this. Why? Because it is worthless. It is merely an attempt to show off. Music is meant to be pretty, melodic, to take you away to another place and into another person's mind. Shred isn't that impressive to begin with. Take it from a person who is also a professional juggler. Shred is merely muscle memory. Muscle memory and talent are NOT the same thing. Anyone on God's green earth can learn something from muscle memory. It takes no talent. TALENT is writing a song, a lyric, a melody that touches people's lives, that helps them get through their day. If that lyric is depressing and it helps them to feel that they are not alone... then great. If that lyric is uplifting and they feel inspired to do something different in their life then wonderful. If the melody makes them want to sit on their porch and stare at the sky or blast the radio and roll all the windows down... it doesn't matter because it is doing something that transends muscle memory... it is changing lives. THAT is true talent.
    Rexbeans
    I'm just gonna make it brief,but i do agree a lot with flamin mania on this one.. A lot of the players that are admired by ordinary people not just guitar players (like Angus young, Brian may, Slash, Eric clapton etc..) are players that play with a certain unique feel & most importantly they compliment the song with their playing... I'm not saying you should be lazy it's just the vast majority of people just don't give a shit that you can sweep/tap at 300+bpm.. You only gotta have a look at you tube to realize a hell of a lot of people can play like that.. But how many of those guys are really gonna write a classic song that will be remembered for years to come instead of cannon in D again.. Not many..
    Flamin' Mania
    Heres some constructive critisism To begin with shredding never died, neither did decent guitar playing. When "Nevermind" came out and grunge went huge, this was a year after "Cowboys From Hell" - The first accepted record by pantera - came out. Dimebag was an awesome shredder who also had one of the main components shred music lacked - feeling. Which is also what Grunge had as well as alternative music. Everybody was sick of shredders trying to be faster then the last person that finished their set before them. Secondly, say what you want about grunge and stuff. They may be talentless(even though its really quite hard to manipulate feedback to have the same noise every live show) or sound bad to you, but other people like them. You may hate Kurt Cobain and think he was a huge sellout, but you should also take into hand that some people look up to him. So don't go saying **** about people you've never met who other people look up to just cause you dont like them. Thirdly, there is a difference to playing the guitar and playing scales incredibly fast. Now I agree with the fact that people should get lazy and play the same 3 chords to make 10 albums. But just because you can play an blues scale faster then herman li doesnt make it a song either. There needs to be an equal amount of feeling into songs aswell as technique. In my opinion, technique should only be a way as to make your ability to play a song and write a song which sounds good, it shouldnt be shown off
    Under_The_Oath
    Spanner wrote: Ok, please do not take offence to this anybody, I mean you are all entiled to your own opinions on whatever topic as am I. But I absolutely DESPISE shred guitar playing in all ways shapes and form. Im sorry but it IS just a guitar playing race (NO IT IS!!). 99% of shredders are absolutely hopelessly talented at playing ANY instrument. I myself like nearly all styles of music bar one or two, and would listen to it a few hours a day. But I bought a few albums in this "STYLE" (it is NOT an actual musical style btw!!) known as shred, and I listened to them atleast one hour a week, and then binned all of them. Shred unlike all other forms of music, lacks emotion, it does not(mostly) have good riffs (its all about the lead guitar in your face) beats anything. Its all just a load of show off fast lead guitar crap, all about the shredder hogging the mic for a few minutes. A band is nothing with the lead guitarist doing it this way (FACT). I havent listened to a shred tune in nearly two years and I am a lot more happy without it. Trust me guys DONT (if your like me of course) try to play shred guitar for your careers, you will get NO WHERE!!, I mean if you ask someone who Vai or Malmsteen or Satch are who doesnt play a guitar, they are not going to have a clue; why? because shredders get NO WHERE in comparison with other great players such as Clapton or Hendrix. Sure guitarists like Cobain were arguably "bad" technically speaking, but you have to think about one thing; their music is a HEll of a lot better!. Well I hope I havent offended anyone, but think about what I said before you flame me. Spanner.
    Yep, I'm with Spanner on this. I mean, I don't hate shred like he does, but it really is just about showing off how good you are, with no emotion whatsoever.