Page 2 of 2
Page&HammettFan
Has ordered his PRS!
263 IQ
Can't do it tonight, but I'll definitely try and get something in. Any chance of this becoming a regular thing?
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
Freepower
v It's Back! :D
3,277 IQ
^ no chance of it not becoming a regular thing.

I actually came up with some of my best compositions aaaages ago working on music for art by a friend of mine. Well, it was my best composition then.

This kind of thread is simultaneously a "composition critique" thread and an open chillout and exchange of ideas thread. It also makes people explore their musical horizons. What more can you ask for in terms of an MT thread?

Btw, nice little piece colorhue. If that was your first time composing on request you're going to go far with it.
Helpy Helperton
122 IQ
Quote by Page&HammettFan

Also, listen to the song "Out of the Sunrise" off of Joe Satriani's latest release, "Professor Satchafunkilus and the Musterion of Rock." It is a great example of writing in this style. You can clearly picture a sunrise if you close your eyes and listen to those opening notes. He hits it right on the head.

Satch is brilliant at naming his songs, most of them give that feel of what they are about.

I'll have a go tonight and see if I can think of something, i'll try and have a good think and make something i usually would make.
Archeo Avis
UG Nerd
578 IQ
Working on a short piece as we speak. I've come up with a concept good enough that I'm thinking of expanding it into a greater work.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Archeo Avis
UG Nerd
578 IQ
I've finally found an excuse to get my counterpoint on. Lydian style.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
xxdarrenxx
UG Fanatic
1,654 IQ
Okay, first I had something ambient; but I decided that was done so much, and although it sounds good, it isn't fun for me

So I tried like a classically style played thingy. (I think it's counterpoint i don't know)

Instead of visioning the waterfall, I visioned how I would be inspired if I was at a real waterfall playing guitar.

I really wish I had a classical guitar and that I could play better, but I'm not so very good at fingerstyle.

http://www.box.net/shared/aiyoj4x85b

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
gary2damax
99 IQ
Okay then

I'll edit this post with the new one when I come back

I think this is much better, as I'm pretty sure water in the background fits better then a low piano and tubular bells bit xD And converting it to a mp3 made it sound a touch better, so I'll upload that too xD

Guitar Pro 5.2
MIDI
MP3
Last edited by gary2damax at Dec 9, 2008,
Colohue
Drops pipebombs
1,555 IQ
Quote by JakdOnCrack
Upload it as a MIDI too, i don't have GP

Okay, the Midi file is in there at the bottom of this post.

Thanks Freepower. It's just the sort of thing I play when my girlfriend gets stressed out by uni so it came quite easily really.
Attachments:
waterfall.zip
Archeo Avis
UG Nerd
578 IQ
I scrapped the lydian concept.
I started out by trying to invoke a tropical atmosphere, but quickly got bored and went other (more insane) places. It starts out with an upbeat major theme, and then descends into pure compositional wankery (I included a guitarist "inside joke" of sorts. Cookie to whoever catches it)

Both MIDI and PT are included.

I have to make a shirt that says that.
Attachments:
Composition.zip
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Dec 9, 2008,
JamesDouglas
UG Senior Member
779 IQ
Here's mine. I think I tried to pack too much into too short a space, so it's very messy but I think it has a little bit of potential in there somewhere - I also made it in about 2 minutes
Attachments:
JamesDouglas_Waterfall.zip
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."
duncang
Popular British sitcom
4,442 IQ
UG doesn't want to let me attach my 4KB .zip because apparently the file is too large and the maximum is 2MB

Anyway, it's here.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Freepower
v It's Back! :D
3,277 IQ
GuitarMunky, that piece was fantastic. Made me wish I hadn't stuck the limit at a minute.

Jared, how come I don't know you? That piece was fantastic as well. Darker than the other entries and obviously less guitar-led thinking. Liked.

Duncang, nice work as well. Reminds me of the beach scenes from Streets of Rage. Liked the repeating figure, the rhythmic displacement was a clever touch. Nice fade out too.

J Douglas, I liked your ideas, but I thought the phrasing and execution was greatly hampered by the midi's lack of sense of rubato and dynamics, although I don't see any way around that.

Archeo, once again, the midi doesn't do the material justice. I liked the hit sections and dissonant lead. Totally moar than a minute long.

I'll get onto creating a new thread sometime soon.