Page 176 of 176
zvsmedia
10 IQ
Thanks, awesome advice. I also ran across some other very cool diagrams in your Photobucket account. I think I'll do the HSH mod on another project I'm working on.

At some point it's time to put down the soldering iron and just play, right?
Last edited by zvsmedia at Jan 8, 2016,
Tallwood13
924 IQ
absolutely and yeah take whatever you want from there I posted everything there to help people, any questions or just in general tips feel free to ask. I make my own diagrams in photoshop.
zvsmedia
10 IQ
Here's a mod to that circuit I'd be interested in. It's awesome to have all that functionality on one switch but I'm afraid I'd knock it out of humbucker mode if I get a little too active on stage.

Would it be possible to use a push-pull pot and a SPDT switch to accomplish the same thing? The push-pull would keep the pickup in humbucker mode when down regardless of the SPDT setting but the SPDT coil chooser switch would become active when the push-pull is pulled for single-coil mode. Is that description clear enough? Thanks in advance!
Last edited by zvsmedia at Jan 12, 2016,
Tallwood13
924 IQ
push pulls and a basic on/on spst do the same thing, just the push pull as we know would be like two spst switches side by side. Just make sure if you're purchasing them you don't get momentary on/on switches. I made that mistake once when i was really new to electronics.

the only time it gets murky is with DPDT switches because then there is two different kinds that you see in incorporated in the guitar world.
on/off/on
on/on/on
both have slightly different contact patterns for the commons and all to the point certain mods you got to slightly wire them differently.

so the coil chooser use a DPDT ON/OFF/ON switch, same dimensions and all , in fact the diagram was the last post i did. Just the "negative" is ground" and hot lead wherever your pickups "north start" (black on a SD pickup) goes. Scroll up for that diagram , it might be a page back.

with two push pulls, a bit of heat shrink and a lot of patience this picks your coils and gives you two options, if not check out this first, its kind of pricey but saves you a lot of time, it just hasn't gotten a lot of praise yet compared to certain things in the guitar modding world.
http://www.seymourduncan.com/accessory/triple-shot-flat

and a wiring i recommend this like crazy, if you tin every wire and contact and have a lot of patience and a little template to cheat with you'll do fine. Telecasters and ibanez RG guitars or H/H strats have it easy.

use the right color code to get the right results
zvsmedia
10 IQ
This looks great. One question: how do I know which way is "push" on the diagrams? Is it furthest from the terminals on the pot?

Thanks again!
Tallwood13
924 IQ
the ones closest to the contacts on the pot are the up position
the ones furthest away are pushed down

good luck wiring the guitar if you switch a black and green wire on a pickup the middle position is out of phase too, kind of cool if you don't use the middle position, not sure if it would cause any wiring issues though.

but the 12 tone wiring unless you add an extra switch and are extremely creative you can add it to the 12 tone wiring , but yeah any questions send me a private message i usually get back to people quicker that way.

**edit** just made this to help people out; the spin a split mod is somewhere on my photobucket as well. It's a mod that doesn't require a push pull or switch to split a coil on a pickup. stacked single coil to humbucker

Last edited by Tallwood13 at Jan 13, 2016,
ShameofaNation
yep
797 IQ
Can anyone help me out? Question is regarding potentiometer load.

I'm getting ready to work a few mods, including the G&L PTB wiring into my Tele,

and because two of these pots will be push/pull, it's brought up an issue regarding the torque difference between push/pull and standard pots. I use my volume knob extensively in my playing, and can't settle for using push/pull for it because of how easily they turn, it doesn't feel right. I cannot find a 1meg push/pull to save my life.

The wiring uses 250k for volume, 500k for treble, and 1meg for bass. If I switched these around so that the 1meg was the volume, and 250k was bass, would that affect the intended sound to any serious degree? I would assume not, given that the total load on the pickups is still the same, but I'm so new to this I want to be sure before I order my parts.

Any help greatly appreciated.
3 Guitars >> Eleven Pedals >> Three Amps
Soundcloud

Quote by primusfan
> from louisville
> likes ween
> new favorite poster
Tallwood13
924 IQ
to my understanding with tone knobs they are sensitivity , the PTB wiring is really cool that G&L has in fact I incorporate it into my fender strat wiring harnesses I sell on ebay.

so 500k , 1m and so forth it's just a quicker or longer trip to 0k for the two tone knobs, so you could use say two 1m pots , two 500k pots for the two bands of EQ if that makes sense.

as far as with push pulls you can really add them anywhere to the circuit if you like the classic volume pot that is already there at 250k keep it , push pulls can be added anywhere in the harness. Such as one of the tones because that makes more sense on a strat, ibanez or whatever. I never grew up playing guitars with pickguards so my pinky would sometimes roll off the volume by accident if i had a push pull engaged. If I was you I'd suggest putting the push pull as one of your tone knobs. Sound wise and all it won't cause any complications adding the push pull to different parts of the guitar it's just a matter of comfort. Know what I mean?

This is my strat wiring. I don't mention the resistances any more as I let people dictate it themselves. 500k for humbuckers , 250k for single coils (and teles) volumes. As rule of thumb when it comes to volumes the higher the resistance the brighter the pickups are so it's different compared to tones.

this is my strat wiring to show you what i mean by this I've been boasting about, I just updated this and made it neater than when i first started making it pop up on these forums. They are based on the classic pre-2015 seymour duncan diagrams. I must have half a dozen new harnesses on here since my last post so you may get some cool ideas off my photobucket.

the 7 way mod = use of the outer 2 pickups or all 3 strats can't do.

ShameofaNation
yep
797 IQ
^I appreciate the help, but I suppose a better way of wording my question would be: Based on that wiring diagram, is there anything that absolutely requires the bass control be a 1meg pot?
3 Guitars >> Eleven Pedals >> Three Amps
Soundcloud

Quote by primusfan
> from louisville
> likes ween
> new favorite poster
Tallwood13
924 IQ
500k works fine; however 1000k/1m is encouraged if you want that extra bit of control.

1m is encouraged as you've got more to roll back, regardless 10 is 10, 0 is 0

I had a jackson DKMG and when i bought it , it was pretty much an acoustic guitar. No pickups , pots or knobs, long story short the volume had to be 500k, the tone i went through my entire drawer of pots and the only one that worked with the guitar as it needed like 18mm shaft height and everything else wasn't in my drawer so what I realized is with a 100k pot (not 1m) is that 10 is still 10, but you rolled back to 0k very quickly , you missed out on a lot of sweet spots you got much more easily with the 500k pot with the same capacitors and resistors.
Chainer
224 IQ
Hey guys, I've asked for your help before and I need it again. I'm looking to redo the wire in my 80s Squier Strat again. I want one volume and one tone pot with three mini toggle switches. I'd like for each mini-toggle to control its respective pickup (upper for neck, middle for middle, bottom for bridge).
Preferably I'd like a DPDT On/Off switch for each pickup, the up position being no sound down being sound. How would I wire all three of these together?

Thanks!
Tallwood13
924 IQ
SPST or DPDT on/on will do the trick. preferably 3 on/on , regardless of type you get they'll do the trick/

Single pull single throw - one row of contacts
double pull double throw - two rows of contacts, usually i use these in my diagrams

you may be able to do this a bit neater but my big tip for the blue wires is to twist them all together like the coilsplit wires if people don't plan to use them.

this is great because you'd get 7 tones in total including the outer 2 and all 3

second opinions are always welcomed as this is more than just my thread to post on

Last edited by Tallwood13 at Feb 16, 2016,
Chainer
224 IQ
Quote by Tallwood13
SPST or DPDT on/on will do the trick. preferably 3 on/on , regardless of type you get they'll do the trick/

Well, I'm running three Seymour Duncan humbuckers, so how exactly would I wire up all four wires to the On/On switches? On top of that, I need to ground each switch, so I'll just run a wire from the metal plate on the switch to the back of the volume pot right?
Tallwood13
924 IQ
black would be your bare/green wire - so they ground
white would be your black wire - to the switches hot lead
red/white taped and soldered off - they split coils so not much use

hope i could help
Chainer
224 IQ
Got it all wired up, exactly what I was looking for man! Thanks!
itsTrips
10 IQ
Hey fellaz... Hate to sound cliche but "long time lurker, just now posting". Excellent thread, and THANK YOU for ALL the help it has afforded me thus far.

I've studied the posts, done my homework, chose my path from 1 of a few different diagrams, got my pups and parts, and proceeded with my install. I admit, my understanding regarding the how and why of the signal flow remains a bit foggy but I do feel confident in following a wiring diagram through to completion and I have good soldering skills thankfully.

That said, I attempted the diagram(seen below) on my Ibanez s520ex using DiMarzio Tone Zone(B) and Air Norton(N) and replaced the 3way switch with a 5 way switch I bought on ebay that would fit in my Ibanez Saber series(pic attached). The end result.. I love the new tones, but I am not getting all positions on the switch. Positions 2,3 and 4 are identical in sound. Literally no difference. I LOVE that sound though! It it some of what I was after. I just seem to be missing two more tones (the single coil tones I believe).

I went over all my wiring and everything appears correct. I am wondering if this switch isn't correct to execute this diagram, or did I miss something, or have something soldered incorrectly?
The outcome I want is:
Bridge
Bridge Split (single coil)
Bridge+Neck (coil from each) or (both pickups like normal 3rd position)
Neck Split (single coil)
Neck

Any insight you can give me would be great. THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Attachments:
5way Alpha.jpg
Last edited by itsTrips at May 7, 2016,
Invader Jim
?)
971 IQ
That switch should work. Best I can say right now is to re-check your wiring. Draw a diagram of exactly how your guitar is wired (not how it should be wired) and compare it to the original diagram you followed. If you still don't see an issue, you could post it here for a new set of eyes and/or just take it all out and start from scratch, using a highlighter to mark the connections you make after you solder them.
gary.hardwick
10 IQ
I have a wiring question. I need help figuring out how to wire up a Tele with a GFS humbucker in the bridge and a P90 in the neck. I don't need any sort of fancy coil splitting or anything. Just a simple schematic. Also, I'm not sure if I should get 250 or 500K pots either.

Can anybody help?

Thanks
Invader Jim
?)
971 IQ
Since you have a humbucker you may want to go with 500k, but it's really all about personal preference. 250k is marginally but noticeably darker-sounding since it loads the pickups more than 500k or 1M.

This should help with the color codes:
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj59/newey_album/GFSinfo.jpg

Just check out Seymour Duncan for your control setup and pretend the SD color codes are your GFS colors.
http://www.seymourduncan.com/wiring-diagrams

If you have any questions just ask.
jazzhbs
10 IQ
Hey guys,

Thank you for such a helpful thread! I started out with no knowledge of wiring but think I've picked up on some basics while reading through.

Recently I bought a Kent Armstrong noiseless P90 to swap out from a Jazzmaster pickup in a Blacktop Jazzmaster. The Blacktop isn't complicated like other Jazz/Jaguars/Offsets--this guitar came with a humbucker in the bridge, jazzmaster single coil in the neck, 1 volume, 1 tone, 3 way switch.

Here's the original wiring diagram:

So, the original pickup only had 2 wires. Thought it would be simple for me to do as a newbie. I was wrong :P

Here's the wiring diagram from KA--my guitar is figure 1, black wire. With Green, Red, Black, White and Bare enclosed. http://www.kentarmstrong.com/schematics/KA_Wiring_Instructions.pdf

Last night I tried the best I could with research and came up with this: Red/Green taped off, White and Bare to ground, and Black to switch. Unfortunately, I was getting neck sound in all 3 positions on the switch after that.

I'd like to avoid Dr. Frankensteining it before I desolder last night's job

If anyone could offer any help or suggestions, it'd be *greatly* appreciated! Thanks much.
Last edited by jazzhbs at Jun 7, 2016,
travesty1968
21 IQ
All,

Does anyone have any information on how I should wire Tom Short's Mini-Humbucker 4-conductor pick-ups? I would like some info., please!!!! A wiring diagram from Tom would be great! I would really appreciate the help!!! I just got done installing the pick-ups in my guitar, and I want to make sure I am not splitting it, or getting the out-of-phase sound, etc.... Just the standard series humbucker sound. This is my first time wiring up a 4-conductor pick-up. I have been asking for a while on different forums with no prevail. Even tried to Facebook Tom himself (twice), with no response. I am desparate at this point!

All I want is to know what wires to tape together, and what wires to connect to give me the standard series sound. I do not want to split in any way....... I just want to make sure I do it right the first time. If you want to take a picture of yours and send it to me via text or email, I can send you my information (please PM me). Thanks.....
viewerfromnihil
144 IQ
A couple of weeks ago, I picked up probably the closest thing I'll find to my dream guitar, a 1979 Matsumoku made Memphis guitar neck thru made of maple and mahogany, and I got it on the cheap at $260. I decided to put Seymour Duncan P-Rails in the neck and Seymour Duncan SH-15 Alternate 8 in the bridge. Of course, I wanted to tap the coils as well and, because of the fact that I use 1 meg potentiometers, had to use mini switches instead of push/pull pots, which I'm fine with. Also, I really like kill switches, I use a three-way for that. Here are a couple of pics for your viewing pleasure:

Anyways, to my problem. I've rewired the guitar a few times now and I cannot get rid of grounding buzz. I don't believe that there is an issue with the bridge ground wire because it worked fine before I replaced the pickups. It's not the type of hum that goes away when I touch the strings, so I think it must be an issue with the way I'm running the ground wires. Below I have diagrams of what I have tried so far:

First attempt.

Second attempt.

Third attempt.

Is it a ground loop issue? Any suggestions? I thought about grounding everything through the bridge volume, as shown below, but I would like to avoid have 8 grounds running off one pot because it would look messy as hell.

viewerfromnihil
144 IQ
Quote by Invader Jim
Did you accidentally wire the output jack backwards? Try swapping those wires.

Figured that out and got back on here to give an update. Wish I had noticed that on my first couple of rewires! Last time I redid a guitar was 5 years ago and my rust definitely showed through.

This time around I messed up the N-H-S coil switch, but that should be easy enough to fix.
papauno
Awaiting Email Confirmation
10 IQ
Can some one please help. Drives me nuts...

I have:

Dimarzio AT (Bridge)
Dimarzio SH-3 (Middle)
Duncan little 59 (Neck)

5 way super switch (DiMarzio)
Vol
Push pull Tone

How an earth I wire this to get the following

Position 1: AT / split with push pull
Position 2: AT + SH3 /AT split with push pull
Position 3: SH3 + Little 59 singe coil (bridgemost coil)
Position 4: AT + Little 59
Position 5: Little 59

Thanking in advance...