Page 2 of 2
Quote by Rhoads_1096
Ive never used rockman gear but I've heard a ton about it *runs to guitar shop*

I suggest you start with a X100 or maybe a sustainor
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by BostonRocks
definitely better than the MXR. The DBX is going to be better if you want to have lots of contro,l the Rockman is great at the guitar frequencys and that's it. It's going to be extremely helpful EQing the mids because that's what it was made for.. the DBX is going to be better in the overall everything stuff. the DBX is going to be a bit more refined sound, the rockman a little more 'dirty' I suggest that after you buy (if) you should send it to "RockRefurbs" and they change the caps and everything for 80 bucks and it will sound amazing.

http://www.perfectsoundrockrefurbs.com/refurbrepai rinfo.html

you should be able to get one in europe just look around on Ebay. also it's not that hard to convert it to 240 (thats what you guys run on right?) i'll send you a schem if you like.

overall I suggest the rockman over the DBX if you are looking to EQ a guitar. if you want to eq more than that it's not going to do much because it focus's on the guitar freq range. the DBX will be better at doing whole mixes.

How is the rockman more dirty? I was under the impression EQ's were supposed to be as transparent as possible. I will be using the EQ only for my guitar, as I have more elaborate VST plugins to run over my overall mix. However, the DBX is considerably cheaper so I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons. The DBX 2x15 band is only 145 euro for example, yet the rockman would have more useable mid frequency sliders.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Mark G
How is the rockman more dirty? I was under the impression EQ's were supposed to be as transparent as possible. I will be using the EQ only for my guitar, as I have more elaborate VST plugins to run over my overall mix. However, the DBX is considerably cheaper so I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons. The DBX 2x15 band is only 145 euro for example, yet the rockman would have more useable mid frequency sliders.

By dirty I mean it sounds a bit more dirty. and that is because it's 20 years old. like I said send it in and for 80 bucks they'll recap it and everything. I know what you mean though. The DBX is going to be a great EQ for overall things and maybe more versatile but the Rockman will own it for guitar frequency's
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
By dirty I mean it sounds a bit more dirty. and that is because it's 20 years old. like I said send it in and for 80 bucks they'll recap it and everything. I know what you mean though. The DBX is going to be a great EQ for overall things and maybe more versatile but the Rockman will own it for guitar frequency's

Ah, got ya I'll keep the rockman in mind, thanks
WTLTL 2011
yeah no problem.

I forgot to mention the noise gate was used by EVH in the 80s
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
do you by any chance have any clips of the stereo echo?

i've been interested in that old thing for a while now
I do not. but search around. it's one of the best echo's I have ever heard. it's warm and rich it's just awesome. lots of studio's still use em' they're that good.

look jark's webstie. gimme a minute..

http://www.rockman.fr/Samples/Samples.htm#SE
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Last edited by Bostonrocks at Sep 6, 2009,
Bump for the heck of it

EDIT: Nightraven I know this a bit old. but I'll respond anyways. if you want great analog echo buy one now. I've seen 2 or 3 in studio's before, they're that good.
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Last edited by Bostonrocks at Oct 16, 2009,
it's not very practical for a pedalboard but maybe if a cheap one crops up some day and i have cash lying around i may try to pounce on it to give it a shot, and for the flip factor
ok Boston, let me get this strait. You want all of us to be playing through headphones, so music does not spread to everyone across the world, one apartment at a time. That would be killing free music, because the neighbors love to hear me play scales I'm sure!

On a more serious note, I have never heard of Rockman. I think I will have to look into this X100 deal you talk so much about. Really, most headphone outs sound like crap, but this sounds promising.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by nightraven
it's not very practical for a pedalboard but maybe if a cheap one crops up some day and i have cash lying around i may try to pounce on it to give it a shot, and for the flip factor

nope not practical at all for a Board. but boy does it sound good.

Quote by DeathByDestroyr
ok Boston, let me get this strait. You want all of us to be playing through headphones, so music does not spread to everyone across the world, one apartment at a time. That would be killing free music, because the neighbors love to hear me play scales I'm sure!

On a more serious note, I have never heard of Rockman. I think I will have to look into this X100 deal you talk so much about. Really, most headphone outs sound like crap, but this sounds promising.

Yep. NO FREE MUSIC!!!!

if you want good rock'n'Roll tone for night time you can't go wrong with a X100 it'll sound great through nice headphones and even better through your stereo.
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Last edited by Bostonrocks at Oct 17, 2009,
I have a question, I have an old ultralight ( model IIp ), and was wondering if I could use an insert cable from the combo aux in/low level out jack to connect a Behringer Virtualizer Pro for recording? I would just try it, but don't want to fry anything. Has anyone tried this?
Takes a Knockin' and Keeps on Rockin" DOA #08-01502
Last edited by ferretjoe at Nov 15, 2009,
Quote by ferretjoe
I have a question, I have an old ultralight ( model IIp ), and was wondering if I could use an insert cable from the combo aux in/low level out jack to connect a Behringer Virtualizer Pro for recording? I would just try it, but don't want to fry anything. Has anyone tried this?

Yep how I used to do it.
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
TD: *GASP*

If it is what i think it is. there are less than 10 in existance. It's the rockman "superhead". it's nothing more than an XPRa in head format with 2x 50w power amp/PA. Basically you'll never get one....

it also may be just a XP100 with one of the sides taken off. in that case you can get one for about 500-700

also just keep and eye out for an XPR (Not to be confused with the XPRa which had a better noise gate and some extra features. very rare) it'll run you about 600.
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Bump :d :d
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
You really like to get bumping, don't you?

It does look like nice equipment though, I've always considered the Boston-tone as one of the best sounds from the 70's.
My guitar tech has 2 distortion generators and a whole of Rockman gear. Best tone ever imo.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
DVABS the last time I bumped this thread was october of 09. lay off me.

RR787: I own a DG great stuff. I love em'
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Kadumpf!

So, I love the Rockman tone. It's easily one of my favourites of all time. Hell, I need that tone like air. But, I don't actually feel like trawling around for it and hoping one will turn up. What I want to know is whether there exists an easily findable combo amp for living room volumes that sounds like (or is near enough) to a Rockman tone? Names of pedals and stuff (delay, reverb, chorus) would also be helpful.
Quote by DaFjory
Kadumpf!

So, I love the Rockman tone. It's easily one of my favourites of all time. Hell, I need that tone like air. But, I don't actually feel like trawling around for it and hoping one will turn up. What I want to know is whether there exists an easily findable combo amp for living room volumes that sounds like (or is near enough) to a Rockman tone? Names of pedals and stuff (delay, reverb, chorus) would also be helpful.

Little late. But the answer is really, well. No.

not much produces that tone well other than the real deal. you can pick up a rockman headphone amp like the x100 or a soloist for less than a 100 bucks so thats what I'd do!
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by DaFjory
Kadumpf!

I'm building a "Mockman" pedal (from runofgroove.com), which is supposed to be a Rockman-in-a-box basically. The sound clips on the website aren't very good but I'll see if I can post some clips after I finish it.
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
Quote by Bostonrocks
you can pick up a rockman headphone amp like the x100 or a soloist for less than a 100 bucks so thats what I'd do!

Can the headphone amp be used as a normal amp, with delay pedals and stuff, just for bedroom/living room levels? I don't ever intend on playing live, I just want that goddamn sweet-ass tone in my house.
Quote by DaFjory
Can the headphone amp be used as a normal amp, with delay pedals and stuff, just for bedroom/living room levels? I don't ever intend on playing live, I just want that goddamn sweet-ass tone in my house.

you could use powered speakers instead of headphones.

like computer speakers or monitors for example.

should work well for bedroom levels.
Why don't they make mouse flavored cat food?
Quote by gregs1020
you could use powered speakers instead of headphones.

like computer speakers or monitors for example.

should work well for bedroom levels.

Sounds good. Could it be hooked up to my hi-fi speakers? I dunno how I'd go about that, but they've worked great on the stereo for 25 years and are certainly loud enough for a... living room performance.
maybe through the aux input of your stereo amp.

do you have a sansui AU-55A?
worth a shot.

could be epic.

i'm so weak i just bought a rockman IIB. a very early x100 prototype that was out for a couple years before the X100 came to be the standard.
OK, really dumb question - if I bought an X100 and plugged straight in, would I instantly get Billy Gibbons' tone from 'Rough Boy'? I want that tone and nothing else. Versatile is not my style.
Jeez, a year later and you're still interested in a Rockman. Now that's dedication.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Jeez, a year later and you're still interested in a Rockman. Now that's dedication.

Yea, I'm majorly dilly-dallying on it. There's no way I can actually try one (no connections right now), so I just want to get as clued up as possible if I ever do an eBay splurge. I keep hearing stuff like "this album/song used a Rockman", etc. but I seriously doubt they were using an X100 and nothing else.
Page 2 of 2