Page 346 of 346
institutions
TUNNEL SNAKES RULE
95 IQ
Just finished reading that one last week. Really enjoyed the Bill Hodges trilogy.
Started reading The Gunslinger today. Everyone has been on and on about how The Dark Tower series is his best work, but the fantasy western setting always put me off (I like the more realistic setting of almost everything else he's done). After reading the Bill Hodges trilogy though, I started craving it. I love King, and I love following the same cast of characters through multiple novels.

I'm quite happy with my Stephen King collection at this point.
I've got one pic I took a few months ago that included nearly all of my collection at that point, and another I took just now of what I picked up the other day
On the top shelf, from the far right all the way over to Animal Farm on the left
On the bottom shelf, from the far right all the way over to Atlas Shrugged on the left
And then a few more I didn't allot space for in the front right
Not pictured (bc I lent one of them to my grandmother and was re-reading the other for the sixth time) are Under the Dome and It.

I guess i'm a bit of a fanboy
Primus2112
whatever you say "Mor-ty"
915 IQ
the dark tower is a trip man

idk if you could call them his best work, i do, but thats just my opinion

but theyre excellent
Quote by raoooos
slipknot are actually just terrible, they're such a "holy shit i'm 14" kind of band. like fuck off mum i'm not going to school i have to clear the stone of leaves.
I.O.T.M
I'MA MAKE YOU HURT
452 IQ
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
The other author GR keeps recommending is Franzen. I want to believe.

Franzen is the Great American Novelist.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
steve_muse
beating a dead forum
419 IQ
Franzen seems like an anachronism

Ive actually no idea what his stuff's about, but I do know he's the current poster boy for the 'literary'
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
I.O.T.M
I'MA MAKE YOU HURT
452 IQ
He comes across like that from his interviews. He gives off that 'look how literary I am' vibe.

Strong Motion, Freedom and Purity are all great novels. I haven't read The Corrections yet that some think is his best. His essay collection How To Be Alone is pretty good as well.

I think I may be just a Franzen fanboy tbh.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
ali.guitarkid7
Gets Easier
2,302 IQ
How To Be Alone sounds appealing.

I'm sorry, wait, why does Wikipedia say that this is a cookbook.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_Be_Alone

I thought it might be sleep deprivation so I legit rubbed my eyes to check if it's me. It's not. Did you guys just recommend me a cookbook for lonely people?
Quote by Aeolian Harmony
Ali priori / Ali posteriori
Quote by GuitarGod_92
Jesus christ Ali is a nutcase

I actually feel sorry for him, like seriously, get help
Aeolian Harmony
710 IQ
lol it's not a cookbook. It's a book of essays.
Quote by neidnarb11890
Aeolian started this tangent lol
Aeolian Harmony
710 IQ
I'll add that it's a fantastic book of essays, regardless of Franzen's (deserved) reputation as a dorky literati member. Why Bother? is wonderful.
Quote by neidnarb11890
dPrimmy
Resident Noob
28 IQ
Quote by institutions
Just finished reading that one last week. Really enjoyed the Bill Hodges trilogy.
Started reading The Gunslinger today. Everyone has been on and on about how The Dark Tower series is his best work, but the fantasy western setting always put me off (I like the more realistic setting of almost everything else he's done). After reading the Bill Hodges trilogy though, I started craving it. I love King, and I love following the same cast of characters through multiple novels.:

I started in on that late last year and never was able to complete it (67% per kindle). Buuuut. I see an opportunity to force myself to find time to read. Gunslinger Series book club?
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance - Confucius
ali.guitarkid7
Gets Easier
2,302 IQ
Quote by Aeolian Harmony
I'll add that it's a fantastic book of essays, regardless of Franzen's (deserved) reputation as a dorky literati member. Why Bother? is wonderful.

Then I am hunting it down
Quote by Aeolian Harmony
Quote by GuitarGod_92

ali.guitarkid7
Gets Easier
2,302 IQ
So I can't seem to hold onto a book long enough to finish it. I've read the introductions/first chapters of several books in the past week and don't know what to do. Send help
Quote by Aeolian Harmony
Quote by GuitarGod_92

ali.guitarkid7
Gets Easier
2,302 IQ
Ditto on the span, plus I tend to download stuff at the drop of a hat

Edit: I just downloaded The Cenci. I have to be stopped
Quote by Aeolian Harmony
Quote by GuitarGod_92

Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Jul 13, 2016,
guitarxo
cat
1,647 IQ
Turn off your wifi. I didn't have consistent internet access for the last few weeks, other people were always watching TV shows I didn't care about, and I couldn't go outside on my own. I read more books than I have in the entire first half of 2016 and I also finished an entire book of sudokus.

Now I have wifi and 4G and I just downloaded Pokemon Go so I will probably not be reading as much. I bought loads of books while I was away but I need to reorganize my bookshelf so I can place them in order of how I want to read them without it looking ugly.

Quote by Dreadnought

I usually don't like it when a book on something I want as many details as possible on (like this) adopts an overly conversational tone, but I think it worked well here. It was quite enjoyable. Also whenever anyone in my family complained about noisy crows in the morning I had new crow facts to bust out at them.

Quote by ali.guitarkid7

I enjoy some aspects of Franzen's style but I can't relate to most of his characters and I wish he'd write something I could relate to more because I feel like I'm being turned into an impartial observer against my will.
cat
steve_muse
beating a dead forum
419 IQ
Yea i struggle with my span too.

To add to guitarxo's suggestion, there's an app/software called 'Freedom' which disables your wifi connection for however long you want, and it's impossible to turn it off during the time you've set it up for. I used it a bit for uni, was pretty good.

Dunno how useful it'll be now that ive got a ps4 tho
Quote by ErikLensherr

theguitarist
I closed your thread.
1,293 IQ
I only manage to read when I'm travelling (1hr journey each way for work) or when I go out and am waiting for something (sometimes sitting in a coffee shop for a bit before a show or if it's a gig at a pub and I don't feel like chatting, I'll read between sets). Can read fine at home but I am the sort that will just read all day if I start and I rather use my free time at home doing something else that I can only really do at home (video games or comics generally)

Finished Flowers for Algernon last week and just damn, slapped in the emotions. Even though it obvious how the story was going to go, I still got moved by it.

Quote by bradulator

I don't download but I will often get on Amazon and buy books impulsively that I will never read.

It makes me bookshelf look nice though.

I mix buying cheap stuff off amazon with going to charity shop and picking up random stuff (oxfam has one of their book only shops near me). also my father reads loads of stuff (pretty much spends most of his saturdays raiding charity shops) so I occasionally look through his haul for anything interesting looking, we're both into sci-fi and philosophy works, so I usually find something cool.

next to my desk I have two knee high stacks of novels to read and 2 similar height stacks of comics. and the attic is pretty much 50% books my father has bought but never read (we have a big wall bookshelf but it's filled with comics)

keep thinking I should get a kindle or something (got my father one for xmas once and he loves it, though he mostly uses it to read subscriptions to short story "magazines") but I don't think I can give up on cheap paperbacks any time soon.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Last edited by theguitarist at Jul 13, 2016,
Masquirina
battlepuppets
130 IQ
Hit Man: A Technical Manual for Independent Contractors

This is weird, and seems to be missing a lot of information.
guitarxo
cat
1,647 IQ
I'm actually pretty irritated by my bookshelf rn because my books look so different from each other. I'm torn between organizing by author, aesthetics, subject, and date purchased. Currently I have a shelf dedicated to textbooks and notebooks. Everything else is strewn all over the place because I use my bookshelf to store saucepans, appliance manuals, and miscellaneous items. I can't stand looking at my bookshelf anymore but I can't think of what to do with it until I get more furniture so I can move the non-book items.

Anyway. I could've finished reading a book in all the time I've spent bitching about my bookshelf. Oh well.
cat
neidnarb11890
gentle collapsing
270 IQ
My thing is not so much that I have a short attention span as that I have trouble getting myself to sit down & start reading -- especially if I will have to stop reading soon to go somewhere or to do work that I am putting off. I guess I tend to have a very all-or-nothing attitude about things -- like if I am not gonna get through 100 pp. in one sitting, why bother doing anything at all? (That's also why I do not exercise as much as I want to.) I've gotten a bit better about it though, since I do not have the luxury of student life where I can dedicate all day to intellectually edifying activity(/binge watching sitcoms to escape from responsibility). I also have a habit of starting too many books, but it's not that I get bored with any one book so much as it is I just want to read too many things -- and since I cannot zip through any one book in a day, I try to read too many concurrently to satisfy that desire, but then I am just drowning in a sea of half-read books.

I've been trying to chill with reading-anxiety, though, because now that I am getting older, I understand that there's more to life than books, you know; and while it's not much more, I do have to tend to it occasionally -- and very few people in my day-to-day life care whether I've read or what I think about Wordsworth, Pynchon, Marx, &c. Also, when I am reading a great book, I want to savor the experience, and not rush through it just so I can "learn it." It is rewarding to slow down & develop an authentic relationship with a work, even if that means I end up reading less stuff. This is me dealing with anxiety/guilt over academia, though, so maybe it doesn't mean anything to you.

I'm always reorganizing my bookshelves. I don't really have space in my room for all the shelves I need to house my books, so I am trying to sit tight until I move back out of my parents house & can spread out. I don't buy books too often, luckily, but I definitely have a bunch of books that I was totally gonna read very soon, like months ago.

Life is very long.
ali.guitarkid7
Gets Easier
2,302 IQ
Because I'm downloading stuff it just makes it worse in an odd way. Like I probably have hundreds of books on my computer. I try not to move anything to my phone unless I'm sure I wanna read them, but this certainty is fickle at best cuz I have about 50 books on here.

I also read a ton of articles. I do the same with them but it isn't as bad.

I'm sadly results oriented nowadays.

Although I can't turn off WiFi, I do have an app that that cuts me off after 90 mins online... but I also have a PS3 lol

I was thinking just yesterday: didn't being a hermit used to mean that you got shitloads done? That you were so busy doing the hard stuff you sacrificed the easy stuff? No more.
Quote by Aeolian Harmony
Quote by GuitarGod_92

Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Jul 13, 2016,
neidnarb11890
gentle collapsing
270 IQ
I can't really read on a screen. My eyes jump around too much, I can't track a line from start to finish. Even UG posts, I'll read the beginning & jump to the end then have to backtrack to fill in the rest. I've wasted so much ink & paper printing PDFs of articles, it's disgusting.
Last edited by neidnarb11890 at Jul 13, 2016,
Aeolian Harmony
710 IQ
^ I would also like to know that.
Quote by neidnarb11890
steve_muse
beating a dead forum
419 IQ
I have only read Steinbeck's Cannary Row. It was really good, still need to check out his other stuff
Quote by ErikLensherr