Page 355 of 355
Frankenstein is a short book right
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
lol

pp
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
I'm two books into the Obelisk Gate series now. Very good
My God, it's full of stars!
frankenstein is gr8. read it first year of uni.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
i think i own a copy of Frankenstein on Google Books, but I can't read extensively on my phone.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
I read an exert in a huge scifi anthology an instructor loaned me recently. I need to read the whole thing but I'm working on a Kuhn book right now, and then I'll probably have to get through most of some Foucault
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Okay switched books, now it's The Man Who Touched His Own Heart

eww gooey
Last edited by Masquirina at Aug 30, 2017,
happy b-day Samuel Johnson, witty memeish lexicographer lit critic par excellence
Quote by Skibolky
No one can really fuck with the power of empathy.
Just started Between the World and Me. It's been on my bookshelf for a while but I was spurred to start it tonight after a conversation I had with one of my pre-K kids.

in short, he described a picture of a boy running as "running from the police or else he'll get shot" with accompanying details. not sure how to deal with it, talked with my supervisor, she gave me a reading list for my own education for when I run into kids who talk about police shootings and are distressed by it. I don't know if this is something that I can truly understand since I haven't experienced it in this country, nor have I been raised with this view of the police, but I'm empathetic and I'll do my best and this book was #1 on the list so there we go.
cat
I would've just been like "well hopefully not" and changed the subject.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
I can't get enough Tolkien lore.

Halfway through rereading Silmarillion and now I've picked up Children of Hurin.

nerd
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I was in fifth grade when The Fellowship of the Ring film came out, and I got super into The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings after seeing it. I loved drawing maps and building my own mythical worlds a la Middle-earth. Then after reading all those books twice in a row, I tried to read the Silmarilion and was like "ew wtf?!" I don't think I made it through 10 pages lmao. I am sure I could read it now, but that chapter is closed. I still love the books and movies, but I am not going to get into Fantasy at this point in my life. Altho I just taught Beowulf (which, tbh, I love), so I maybe I will read "The Monsters and the Critics"??

🤔
Quote by Dreadnought

Halfway through rereading Silmarillion and now I've picked up Children of Hurin.

neeerd

It's probably the world-building that's the draw, yeah?
Quote by Skibolky
Quote by Dreadnought

Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr

I would never wear white socks
I'm sure I'll reread tolkien one day, but I'm just not terribly in to it right now. I was surrounded by hardcore tolkien fans in my undergrad, so maybe im just being contraire
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Von. One thing I have been into recently are song cycles. They are basically poems turned into songs, and there is a lot of beautiful 20th century that has been sung. One I have been listening to is by Barbara Bonney - 'The 12 poems of Emily Dickinson'. The poetry is really enhanced by the vocals, it makes it so beautiful.
Kazuo Ishiguro 👍

not a favorite or anything but a fine choice
Quote by Skibolky
- Hyperion
- Ringworld
- Left hand of darkness

Which should I read first? I bought and am gonna read all of them this month anyway, but I need to prioritise dammit
Quote by ultimate-slash
- Hyperion
- Ringworld
- Left hand of darkness

Which should I read first? I bought and am gonna read all of them this month anyway, but I need to prioritise dammit

left hand of darkness is a quick-ish one.

hyperion is a long read that will make you want to immediately get the 2nd book even though there is no real cliffhanger or anything (don't bother with endymion books imo, kinda wish I took that advice when it was given to me before reading them)

haven't gotten around to ringworld yet myself as I wasn't keen on other niven stuff I've read in the past (just shorts from man-kzin series) so haven't been in rush to get to it
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by BladeSlinger
I'm sure I'll reread tolkien one day, but I'm just not terribly in to it right now. I was surrounded by hardcore tolkien fans in my undergrad, so maybe im just being contraire

I've read everything by Tolkien and I'm burned out. Honestly, Children of Hurin was so rehashed from the Silmarillion that I started to recognize Tolkien tropes and have a hard time revisiting him.

He's good but not the most mature in his ideas. Characters were his strength, most else is a bit surface level.

Dreadnought as you mentioned the books last page
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Oct 5, 2017,
Quote by Rowie.R
Von. One thing I have been into recently are song cycles. They are basically poems turned into songs, and there is a lot of beautiful 20th century that has been sung. One I have been listening to is by Barbara Bonney - 'The 12 poems of Emily Dickinson'. The poetry is really enhanced by the vocals, it makes it so beautiful.

I really dislike audio poetry. The aesthetic in the page is as important to the words, and I think some of it is lost when you're not reading it, but I'm pretty pedantic about poetry.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by theguitarist
left hand of darkness is a quick-ish one.

hyperion is a long read that will make you want to immediately get the 2nd book even though there is no real cliffhanger or anything (don't bother with endymion books imo, kinda wish I took that advice when it was given to me before reading them)

haven't gotten around to ringworld yet myself as I wasn't keen on other niven stuff I've read in the past (just shorts from man-kzin series) so haven't been in rush to get to it

Finished Left hand of darkness a few days back. Definitely enjoyed it very much. First thing by Le Guin I read, but I'm going to be checking out more of her stuff.
I can't say I was expecting the journey across the ice part of the book, but I'm always a sucker for long, lonely journey type stories.

Starting Hyperion now - very excited. My dad always had a translated version of this one on a bookshelf for as long as I can remember, so I know the cover by heart, but I never actually bothered to even open the book.
Quote by ultimate-slash
Finished Left hand of darkness a few days back. Definitely enjoyed it very much. First thing by Le Guin I read, but I'm going to be checking out more of her stuff.
I can't say I was expecting the journey across the ice part of the book, but I'm always a sucker for long, lonely journey type stories.

Starting Hyperion now - very excited. My dad always had a translated version of this one on a bookshelf for as long as I can remember, so I know the cover by heart, but I never actually bothered to even open the book.

get on "The Dispossessed" next for more of her sci fi in the kinda same "universe" or "The Lathe of Heaven" which it's own separate thing.

I don't really care for fantasy but people say good things about her Earthsea stuff too.

I know what you mean about the ice travel segment, it dragged on a bit too long for me but I loved the rest of the book so much that I could forgive it.

interestingly, my father who reads loads of sci fi all the time (goes through a few books a week on top of misc short story mags subscriptions), had never read Hyperion until last week when he was going through my finished book pile, finished it already and was impressed.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Hyperion is probably one of the books I'll be picking up after I graduate and get to read whatever I want for fun
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls