Page 353 of 353
ahh, well in that case we've discussed TC&TC several times before and im a mieville fanboy generally
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
o_O It's defs a favorite of mine, but whas'that say bout me

tbh I'd have to have context of hanging with you to figure out what you were really getting from it (people can say they get one thing but from my impression they are actually getting something else instead)

off the top of my head, in some people who really loved it, it's made me notice them having very pessimistic outlooks, in others I've noticed it a kind of blunt matter of fact personal resolve that is often quite apathetic, and sometimes has some rooting in some past trauma. not necessarily bad or good things to me (though I favour optimism generally (prob why I dislike the book so much)), just helps me work people out since I often misunderstand people's emotions and reactions when I take them at face value with no understanding of who they are.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Anybody in here read "The Bone Witch"? I'm actually thinking about picking it up because of that killer bookcover I saw and I've heard good things by readers. Prove me wrong so I'm not expecting it like some sh¡t romance like "Twilight" and "Fifty Shades of Grey", though.

Currently reading "The Prisoner of Azkaban"
Dean Dave Mustaine VMNTX electric (Black)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro electric (Ebony)
Orange Micro Terror 20W Hybrid amp head
Kustom 4x12 cabinet
Korg Pitchblack Chromatic Pedal Tuner
Electro-Harmonix XO Metal Muff
There's one thing and one thing only that the mods could do to immensely improve the board, instantly, overnight, and that's facilitate more threads about David Foster Wallace. Create them, nurture the ones that exist, guide the discussions, and make sure they stay on track. If we're here to discuss literature, ultimately, we are here to discuss David Foster Wallace. There is no way for a person to grasp the full implications of Infinite Jest and not realize this. We're talking about the smartest man who ever lived. You must realize this. It's not a joke anymore. We're seeing the world degenerate further and further into chaos, and we're standing by and watching it happen. You want to fix this board? You want to fix the world? You want to fix your life? You need only take one step: read Infinite Jest. There is no substitute for hard work, and that's what Wallace requires of you if you are to understand him. If you are to understand not just him, but the world. We're not talking about escapist literature, fan fiction, genre nonsense. We're talking about saving our lives. We're talking about meditating on God. We're talking about communing with the primary presence. This is not an issue to be treated lightly.
Still haven't read Infinite Jest, but I welcome a Fat Lard in love with DFW with open arms

I would also urge you to read This Is Water. For real dude, you're someone I think DFW would resonate immensely with, as he did with me.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Still haven't read Infinite Jest

Same. I've gotten more than half way through it (a lot more counting the footnotes/appendix) and put it down. It's a great book, but I just don't have the attention span for it. Got to ~page 60 in Gravity's Rainbow before putting that down too to start reading this René Girard book which I am going to finish, and then finish the others in order from latter to former, because damn, I need to start excercising the focus parts of my brain for some literature. I went back to IJ after some months and had to research all of the fuggin characters again just to read maybe 40 more pages, so not looking forward to that. Totally jestery!
And it doesn't help that DFW was a pretty shitty person irl, which doesn't help me for wanting to like his stuff. At least Pynchon's all 'mysterious' and open to uncertainty
Quote by Fat Lard
And it doesn't help that DFW was a pretty shitty person irl, which doesn't help me for wanting to like his stuff. At least Pynchon's all 'mysterious' and open to uncertainty

Don't look at it like that. You'll see more of who he is in his writing than you will in public accounts. That's a pretty sweeping and dismissive judgment of a person who deserves anything but. Hell, I'd say that about Michael Bay, let alone the guy who dedicated all of his time trying to reassert values of basic good in as cynical an era as possible.

Like I said, read This Is Water if you haven't. It's 25 or 30 pages at most but it'll stick with you a thousand times longer than the duration of your reading. At least it's done so to me. I guess it's my Book of Revelations.
damn that was beautiful. 

probs won't make me any less irritable in queues tho
Quote by ErikLensherr

The essay itself poses it in a less polarized way. It's more about the value of empathy and why it is we're naturally averse to it than trying to be less frustrated while grocery shopping.

I dug it, pretty ballsy to try and adapt anything by DFW lol. The closest any filmmaker's come to getting his ethos is PTA and it probably has to do with him being a student of DFW's at college.
i got that ali

we're naturally averse to it 'cause capitalism
Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Don't look at it like that. You'll see more of who he is in his writing than you will in public accounts. That's a pretty sweeping and dismissive judgment of a person who deserves anything but. Hell, I'd say that about Michael Bay, let alone the guy who dedicated all of his time trying to reassert values of basic good in as cynical an era as possible.

True. It's just so odd hearing it and trying to reconcile it with his writing. Like the wife footnote tattoo thing isn't so bad as much as it seems a bit tasteless imo, that being one of the least, but some of this other stuff he's done makes you think, ...really? He did that? I'm sure not all of it is true as that's a thing success might bring, but it's just weird based on what he's written in IJ.

I saw one interview where he seemed 'uncalibrated', maybe 1.5 seconds 'too in the future' for an interview, with a dash of pompousness which is to be a bit expected if you write IJ (and the cameraman was a douche tbf), so maybe he was just one of those tortured, misunderstood types and there's more to the stories. Though I read an account that he seemed very content, 'completed', not too long before he offed himself, so who knows what was wrong with em. I blame it on being an INFP and trying to fux with research chems too much lol.

Though Eschaton was genius. It surprises me how much thought he put into that small a chunk of book, though I guess it does add to the ONANite dynamic. Definitely shows how pleb-tier Quidditch is though