Page 354 of 354
I enjoyed Slaughterhouse Five when I read it as a teenager.

I should really revisit it. I have a lot of perspective and context that I didn't have then.
My God, it's full of stars!
I have a copy of Slaughterhouse Five but I am a fake so i've never read it.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by bradulator

same lmao -- I should this summer, though, since it seems like "one of those books" I should know as an english teacher.

braddo I am interviewing at a middle school next week -- my background is mostly high school, though -- any wisdom?
Last edited by neidnarb11890 at Jun 16, 2017,
Quote by bradulator

brad.

bad.

Quote by neidnarb11890 same lmao -- I should this summer, though, since it seems like "one of those books" I should know as an english teacher.

make your students read Whale Talk.

it's like The Outsiders, but about a swimming team.

also it's terrible.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Last edited by jakesmellspoo at Jun 16, 2017,
Quote by jakesmellspoo
hola

i went to the library earlier and picked up Cat's Cradle because i decided i needed to actually read a book.

turns out i took it out 6 years ago and never read it.

great so far. need to actually go and buy a bunch of Vonnegut soon. wanna re-read Slaughterhouse-Five.

Those are both pretty great.

Accidentally spent like 5 hours reading at the library last weekend, after going to the movies. It was a really enjoyable day all around.
I've been reading Snow Crash to get a better foundation in cyberpunk for thesis shit, and it's pretty cool so far. Writing gets a little cringe/meh at times, but the story is interesting
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
The school librarian asked me to read and review this book that's from an awards list or something and it's a pretty good book. It's called Orbiting Jupiter. That lesbian suicide girl should probably read it tbh. It's about this 13 year old who has a kid that he's never seen and wants to find and how he's in love with the girl still and all of that.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
I read The Road today and

ooohhh goooooddd

what a book
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
I read The Road today and

ooohhh goooooddd

what a book

yes, it was certainly a book.

i'm halfway through Cat's Cradle and have 5 days before i need to return it, but i can't seem to bring myself to read right now.

also there are no book stores in my area and i'm not buying a damn thing from amazon anymore.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by jakesmellspoo
yes, it was certainly a book.

i'm halfway through Cat's Cradle and have 5 days before i need to return it, but i can't seem to bring myself to read right now.

also there are no book stores in my area and i'm not buying a damn thing from amazon anymore.

Why not? 

I get most of my books from Amazon because I'm getting shit for research. I can't even find low tier shit in bookstores
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
Why not? 

I get most of my books from Amazon because I'm getting shit for research. I can't even find low tier shit in bookstores
a principle kind of thing after working for them. Jeff Bezos is a piece of shit and their entire work philosophy is insane.

i won't hold it against people for shopping there, but i do think people need to be more aware of what goes on within the company.

i can elaborate sometime in the future in the Marxism thread. i think it'd be more on topic there.

why is there no hammer and sickle emoji in my keyboard?
Quote by jakesmellspoo
a principle kind of thing after working for them. Jeff Bezos is a piece of shit and their entire work philosophy is insane.

i won't hold it against people for shopping there, but i do think people need to be more aware of what goes on within the company.

i can elaborate sometime in the future in the Marxism thread. i think it'd be more on topic there.

why is there no hammer and sickle emoji in my keyboard?

fair enough I'd support a local store, but there's isn't much here that has what I need, or it's way expensive
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
the only thing here is barnes & noble but there's a really cool used book store down the shore (like an hour drive) but you can never be sure what you're going to get at a used bookstore -- but there is a lot of academic & lit crit stuff there 'cuz I guess grad students sell their books to pay off their debts or something

I like to go to barnes & noble to peruse the shelves, but I don't buy too there too often, lol.
can get anything cheaper on amazon, or just use the public library.

but I am waiting for barnes & noble's criterion collection sale. :3
Quote by BladeSlinger
fair enough I'd support a local store, but there's isn't much here that has what I need, or it's way expensive
yeah, pretty much in the same boat here. there really isn't much of anything near me that isn't about an hour away.

even then they tend to be on the verge of going out of business because this county has been is some serious decay since early 2000's.

there is one small book store in the next town over, but I haven't had a chance to get over there. just found out it existed after i started working. probably won't have a chance to stop in until thursday thru sunday because every other day they close right when i finish work.

fuck it, i might just take a half day later in the week anyway. need to go get some work done on my car.

Quote by neidnarb11890
down the shore

just saying NJ things 😗
Last edited by jakesmellspoo at Jul 9, 2017,
Quote by neidnarb11890
jake aren't you from New Brunswick area doesn't Rutgers have bookstores??
naw i loved there for a bit when i was at Rutgers, and then ~20 mins away in South Brunswick, but now i live back in podunk ass Milford in Hunterdon County.

there's a really nice county library about 20 mins from me with 2 floors and tons of books, movies, and music, but some piece of shit in the Milford govt somehow "opted out" of the county library program so i have to pay $100 up front to take anything out. probably annually too. not sure. got mad and walked out when they told me.

now i just have the tiny library down the street. it's not bad, but it's definitely limited. i think it's smaller than my apartment.
damn that sucks
Quote by jakesmellspoo
just saying NJ things 😗

big news last month or so was that they are gonna build an Amazon distribution warehouse or whatever here -- thought of you, jake
Last edited by neidnarb11890 at Jul 9, 2017,
you know what was a good book

Flowers for Algernon.

k peace out
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: Caravan Palace

What if blue cheese is just regular cheese but it's accelerating towards you really fast?
I remember Flowers for Algernon from middle school, but I think we read the stage (or screen?) adaptation of it & not the novel
sad as shit story
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I had no idea there was a stage production, although I would totally go see an opera version.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: Caravan Palace

What if blue cheese is just regular cheese but it's accelerating towards you really fast?
I'm reading Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance at the recommendation of a colleague of mine, and it's amazingly clear why he would be the one to recommend it.
It perfectly describes a lot of what I've seen in his work ethic/methods and also of what I'm noticing in the things I've learned from working with him.
Aside from that, I must say that what is discussed in the book (mainly the difference in romantic and classical approaches to life) also gives a lot of insight into things I've seen in other people and myself, and why they/I have the general attitudes they/I have.

A funny coincidence is that I'm reading reviews where people describe the author as pedantic and/or preachy, which is exactly how a lot of people at work would likely describe my colleague. And in both cases I can see why they would think that but am not bothered by it in the slightest.

It's just amazing how sometimes a book can make you go "Woah, holy shit, yes, exactly that". As if you've had a vague image of something in your mind all this time, can't put your finger on exactly what it reminds you of and someone comes along and goes "that's a duck m8".
I'll sing you a story of a duck
A duck whose name is Alfred Kwak
Not really the thread for this but I figure people who enjoy reading might be more inclined towards crossword puzzles - anyway, I'm pretty well addicted to them now. I usually do WaPo/LA Times since I'm a subscriber. NYT is generally easier for me from what I've tried: I got a free trial of their crossword app but it expires soon and I have a couple of puzzle books I want to finish before getting anything new.

Of course all this is preventing me from reading books but at least it's something to do with language.
cat
I like to do the NYT crossword when I am subbing.
sometimes I finish it in 45 mins, sometimes I work on it all day & get nowhere.
passes the time, though.
The nyt app is like 40 bucks a year, which isn't bad, but writing on paper is more relaxing to me. Also, one kind of fun thing to do is time yourself and then try to beat your previous time for the same crossword/newspaper.
Just finished The Creative Spark bu Agustin Fuentes. Anthropology book on creativity as a central human trait in terms of what makes us what/who we are. Very accessible for the subject matter, and I think he handles stuff well. Good book for getting some academic reading done while also engaging with some more abstract considerations on humanity. 
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls