Page 23 of 23
DeathByDestroyr
WORD UP!
70 IQ
I wouldn't worry about miles as much as actual years old. Like I have that RD250 with about 7k miles... but it has also been sitting in a shed for 30 years.

Meanwhile, something only 5 years old with 30k miles probably did a lot of highway riding and the rubber seals and lines should have plenty of years left.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Jackintehbox
Banana in the street
10 IQ
Quote by BobDetroit
Here's a question for everyone. What do you consider high miles on a bike? What are the maximum miles you would consider when buying a used bike?

Depends on the kind of bike. For most scooters, it seems like 10,000 is high. For a big touring bike, I wouldn't consider the mileage high until it was around 80,000. That said, I don't really care about the miles. High mileage would never stop me from buying something.
c3powil
on a coconut estate
270 IQ
Thanks BobDetroit. I'm trying to keep her as stock as possible.

As far as high mileage, I would consider over 50k to be high for most bikes, but I know there are many reliable machines out there capable of 100+k.

Just because over 50k miles is usually an indicator that it has been owned multiple times by people not necessarily keeping proper maintenance and is fairly aged. Now if this bike with 65k miles happens to be a one or two owner bike and looks taken care of, I wouldn't consider that to be as high.

Pic of bike sans fairing:
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
DeathByDestroyr
WORD UP!
70 IQ
I want this GS1000 but the other part of me wants a newer twin... so torn...
c3powil
on a coconut estate
270 IQ
If you don't want to do any work, get the newer twin. If you're okay with doing a fair amount of work yourself, get the GS. The GS1000 bikes are great I hear, but an older bike like that will need work sooner or later, even if it has been kept in pristine condition.
Jackintehbox
Banana in the street
10 IQ
I had a small incident a few days ago.

I don't think I've posted it in here before, but I've a got a little Kymco People 150 scooter as a secondary bike to my Xcountry. Anyway, apparently riding through mud is bad. I thought I went around it, but I guess I didn't take into account the fact that it had coated my tires.

Here's a post I made on another forum. It's got a video and everything.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/i-did-a-dumb.1120708/
c3powil
on a coconut estate
270 IQ
Wow, glad you are okay! That was some bad luck. I bet you could have saved it, had you seen it coming.
DeathByDestroyr
WORD UP!
70 IQ
Ouch, I'm glad that you're okay... I've dropped a few bikes in my day, and it always happens so fast.

Kinda want to buy this buy I'm holding out on an old GS1000 that a family of mine has.
c3powil
on a coconut estate
270 IQ
That looks niceeee, but I haven't been a fan of Viragos ever since owning two of them. The starter problem is a pain in the butt and the carburetors are hard to get in/out. However, I do recall one that I owned had a cam chain that literally snapped off the gear and end of the cam.... the bike still ran.
macaroni
UG's Colourblind Guy
50 IQ
Getting my full licence soon, meaning unrestricted motorbikes!

CBR600RR for the track and MT-09 for the road yessum
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
c3powil
on a coconut estate
270 IQ
Just FYI

Motorcycle Superstore has an insane deal on Xsmall, Small, and 2XL Bell Qualifier helmets today!

I got my Small one for only 40 bucks!
DukeDeRox
I draw STUFF
20 IQ
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Ouch, I'm glad that you're okay... I've dropped a few bikes in my day, and it always happens so fast.

Kinda want to buy this buy I'm holding out on an old GS1000 that a family of mine has.

Damn. That's just beautiful. Wish my FZR could look near that good
PaulyVengeance
UG's Canon Fanboy
30 IQ
Hey guys, nice to see that there's a motorcycle thread!

Just been redoing some of the stripes my Yamaha YZF-R125, so I thought I'd take some pictures

Excuse the white fluff on the last picture, it's fibres from the inside of my bike cover - Which with the awful weather we've been having here in England, is kind of a necessity.
c3powil
on a coconut estate
270 IQ
That look beautiful. Is it only a 125??? I wish we had small bikes that look that good here.
DukeDeRox
I draw STUFF
20 IQ
As in 125cc? What's it like riding that? It looks so nice and clean but I have no frame of reference for bikes smaller than 600cc. Does it get up and go quick?
PaulyVengeance
UG's Canon Fanboy
30 IQ
Quote by c3powil at #33841602
That look beautiful. Is it only a 125??? I wish we had small bikes that look that good here.

Thank you It is indeed only a 125 lol. It's the same overall dimensions as an R6 (it's actually slightly more than an inch longer than the 2003 R1 lol)

Quote by DukeDeRox at #33841717
As in 125cc? What's it like riding that? It looks so nice and clean but I have no frame of reference for bikes smaller than 600cc. Does it get up and go quick?

Yeah, 125cc lol. It's a good sized bike, so it really just feels like riding a faster bike, bust...slowly. It'll beat most cars off the line at a green light, and it'll top 80mph if looked after properly I know that's not a lot, but it's enough to lose my license or kill myself with haha
Last edited by PaulyVengeance at Feb 18, 2016,
DukeDeRox
I draw STUFF
20 IQ
It's better to start safe and stay safe than become pavement meat I started on a 600 and almost killed my self doing stupid stuff multiple times. Wheelies, endos, drifting, speed wobbles, and general dumb young man shit.
PaulyVengeance
UG's Canon Fanboy
30 IQ
Quote by DukeDeRox at #33841736
It's better to start safe and stay safe than become pavement meat I started on a 600 and almost killed my self doing stupid stuff multiple times. Wheelies, endos, drifting, speed wobbles, and general dumb young man shit.

Haha I hear ya. I actually owned a Suzuki RF900 for a short while, and riding that about (on private roads obvs >_> was bad enough. That thing would hit 60mph in under 4 seconds...shit was insane. Especially for a guy who up until that point had only ever ridden small bikes.

EDIT: This is how the R125 started off before I started 'personalising' her lol

Last edited by PaulyVengeance at Feb 18, 2016,
c3powil
on a coconut estate
270 IQ
You European guys are so lucky. I'd love to have some cool 100-400cc motorcycles here, but all we have are the Honda rebel and Kawasaki Ninja 250.

I bet that thing gets over 100 mpg
PaulyVengeance
UG's Canon Fanboy
30 IQ
Quote by c3powil
You European guys are so lucky. I'd love to have some cool 100-400cc motorcycles here, but all we have are the Honda rebel and Kawasaki Ninja 250.

I bet that thing gets over 100 mpg

You'd be surprised actually at just how much fuel my little 125 burns through. If you ride 'economically' (pff, who actually does?) You'll see maybe 90mpg from it.

Riding like pretty much everyone else, it drops down to ~60mpg.

The engine in the R125 is a 14.6bhp 4-valve SOHC Single cylinder - It's not as economical as most other 125cc's due to the extra tuning done to it to bring it up to that bhp, most other 125's are bumbling about with 9-10bhp 2-valve blocks.
DukeDeRox
I draw STUFF
20 IQ
It looks better than my bike and gets like double the MPG I'd totally own one of those for around town.
PaulyVengeance
UG's Canon Fanboy
30 IQ
Quote by DukeDeRox
It looks better than my bike and gets like double the MPG I'd totally own one of those for around town.

They are very nice looking lol, that's why I have one
fingerguy
40 IQ
Putting this out there:

SELLING my 2013 Ducati Monster 1100evo. Had sliders installed, never dropped, over 3k miles.

8k firm in CT.

Anyone willing to come where I am to buy it WITH CASH PM me.
***************Sig***************
Taylor 314 & GS Mini & Martin LX1