destöroyah
not actually an 09er
120 IQ
english folk/black metal band themed around our anglo-saxon heritage without the annoying gimmicks and cheesey props of viking metal.

its not mind blowing but it certainly is enjoyable.

thought i'd post a link so they can be checked out, i might write another "metal forum recommends" entry for these guys.

best tracks on here are "the shield wall" and "loyalty bound"

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=37737812
illustration student - happy to do any band artwork/logos
some of my work can be seen at:

theGentleSquid

destöroyah
not actually an 09er
120 IQ
nothing

the visuals, stage get up, sword wielding etc etc can be a bit prattish
but i know they dont take themselves too seriously so its not an issue.

and its not like black metal is any better.
if anything, its even worse ebcause a lot of them do take corpse paint too seriously.

theGentleSquid

logboy
80 IQ
Bloody love me some Forefather, i have all their albums and there isn't a single track that dissapoints me *shameless fanboy*
logboy
80 IQ
Quote by The Kreator
Not mindblowing????

You kidding me????

I wank off to Steadfast.

This, seriously, i listen to that album at least twice a day sometimes.
destöroyah
not actually an 09er
120 IQ
ive only heard whats on the myspace.
i'll have to check out steadfast.

i'm glad ive found some uk BM i enjoy other than skaldic curse.

theGentleSquid

jaaaaa
Veritas Vincit
83 IQ
Steadfast was my favorite release of '08. Cween of the Mark is one of the most brilliant songs I've ever listened to. Proof that drum machines aren't detrimental to a finished product, eh?
- Celtic folk metal | - Folk metal | - Folk Metal label/Distro
logboy
80 IQ
It wasn't even noticable on Steadfast which surprised me, the production for tha album was amazing for it being self produced.

The break section in the song Steadfast is one of the greatest pieces of music ever.
AnnihiSlateR
Hammerheart
200 IQ
Aparently They only wish to be known as Anglo-Saxon Metal, they get quite offended by Viking Metal and black metal and folk metal. (according to someone I spoke with, who has spoke to them.)
logboy
80 IQ
They don't really fit into one particular genre anyway, the older stuff was quite black metal but the new stuff is more blackened heavy metal or some other label like that.
destöroyah
not actually an 09er
120 IQ
Quote by AnnihiSlateR
Aparently They only wish to be known as Anglo-Saxon Metal, they get quite offended by Viking Metal and black metal and folk metal. (according to someone I spoke with, who has spoke to them.)

because vikings used to bully the anglo-saxons.
before we beat them in 1066 and made them fight the normans for us.

theGentleSquid

jaaaaa
Veritas Vincit
83 IQ
Quote by destöroyah
because vikings used to bully the anglo-saxons.
before we beat them in 1066 and made them fight the normans for us.

What? Wasn't it the Normans who won the battle of 1066? Normans are Scandinavian descendants anyway.
destöroyah
not actually an 09er
120 IQ
yeah, but previosuly to the battle of hastings in 1066, in the same year britain was majorly invaded twice by the vikings. we won the latter of the two invasions and then used the vikings as mercenaries to help us fight off the invading normas who won anyway.

theGentleSquid

jaaaaa
Veritas Vincit
83 IQ
Well, the Normans brought the hauberk into the world, so in a battle putting vikings against NEW vikings with ****ing hauberks, I'm not surprised
destöroyah
not actually an 09er
120 IQ
even the mention of hauberks or crossbows has me trembelling in my little anglican boots.

theGentleSquid

logboy
80 IQ
Update on the new album:

FRIDAY, 4th February 2011

Since we've been getting a lot of enquiries about our activities lately, here is an update on the FOREFATHER camp. In the coming week we will be entering the studio to begin recording work in earnest on our sixth album. We've been working on small parts here and there over the last year, but now it's time to tie them all together into a new release. We have a lot of songs in the works and there is therefore likely to be material left over for another future album. We will update again once we have progressed further in the creative process. For now, thanks for all your interest and support!

Can't wait!
AnnihiSlateR
Hammerheart
200 IQ
Excellent, I had heard there was a new album due this year.

I wonder if its going to include summers flame, or if that was just Or even if that's representative of the direction they are going in.
logboy
80 IQ
Nah i don't think its a representative of the direction, if i remember rightly that was something one of them had been playing around with since before Steadfast had been recorded. Still they might throw it on there for those who didnt buy it off the internet.
ThroughOblivion
Back from the dead
10 IQ
I ****ing love forefather, best song is Cween of the Mark. Its awesome stuff haha.
Newest album Steadfast is good
mike130
UG Newbie
20 IQ
Steadfast is a beast of an album. Absolutely killer folk/black.
Quote by Twist of fate
Aliens can invade us. Apparently you've never heard of pearl harbor

jazar94
Chainsaw Vasectomy
30 IQ
Their only album I've heard is Steadfast, I should probably get more so I can join in on the shameless fanboyism. It's a great album, after all.
AnnihiSlateR
Hammerheart
200 IQ
I've got the new album on now, and it's brilliant. Sounds like one of them's been practising their guitar playing since the last album too, some rather tasty leads going on.
AnnihiSlateR
Hammerheart
200 IQ
On my first listen of this compared to my first listen of Steadfast, I would say I prefer Last of the Line more. However Steadfast really grew on me. So in a way I prefer steadfast more at the moment. But I think this has the potential to grow on me as well, and potentially over take it.
Hope that made some sort of sense.

Musically there's not an awful lot of difference. Possibly more cleans than last time, though it's hard to say for definite, as mentioned a few more fancy guitar leads.It's a pretty solid well written album.
logboy
80 IQ
Honestly, on my first listen i'm not enjoying this anywhere near as much as Steadfast. The production sounds a little flat, the intro lead track sounded like a guitar warmup than anything else, the songs just lack that fire heard on Cween of the Mark or Brunanburh, along with sounding nowhere near as epic as Miri It Is or Theodish Belief.

Overall, its good, but i'd definitley rank it below Steadfast and even Ours Is The Kingdom, the two albums i listen to by them.
AnnihiSlateR
Hammerheart
200 IQ
As it is at the moment, I agree. But I feel it has potential. I think every forefather album has been a grower for me.

edit: but having heard it twice, I have to say, there does seem a lack of memorable hooks.
diatom
20 IQ
I don't know why this band isn't more popular - catchy as ****, less cheesy than a lot of other folk metal, unique sound.