Page 110 of 110
Quote by sXe170
I gots a question guys!!!

I wasn't sure where else to ask this, but I play metal and I got a question about gear so I figured here would be the best place to get answers.

In regards to what I play, I play mainly thrash with some death thrown in there, on a 7 string, tuned to either A#/A.

I've decided to upgrade from my POD 2.0, since I simply cannot get a good recording tone from it. I had my sights set on a POD X3, since I can get one for like $250, and from watching videos of other people using it, it has great tone for recording. However, just as I was about to buy, I noticed the Line 6 pod HD desktop is about to come out. Now I've heard/read reviews that this is supposed to be somewhat as good as the Axe-Fx. Now, I'm deciding whether I should just stick with getting the X3, or wait for the HD to hit the stores.

Also, I'm looking for what I buy to last me for whatever situation may happen. I'll mainly just be using it for jamming/recording, but if I ever happen to have a gig, wouldn't I just be able to plug in which ever POD I get straight into the P.A. and it'll sound good?

Thanks for the help.
The POD HD Is really nice. I would wait for it. And try it out through a PA certainly, and make sure you know how to use cab simulators. That's what really helps the POD out is a good cab simulator.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ I was kidding/trolling

I knew you knew better
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
which is better for metal :

1) Roland Cube 80x
2) Vox Valvetronix VT50
3) Peavey Vypyr 75

or any other suggestions ? (budget - 400-450$)

I live in India so very difficult to come buy used amps so buying new will be the preference.
Private use, or gigging?

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

Quote by Shinozoku
Private use, or gigging?

Both but while gigging I will have PA systems at disposal so that's not a problem. And the major use will be while practicing/jamming.
They're all good, but I think the peavey will be more complex. Might also provide better flexibility for you though. You got a chance to try them out?

Stupid name.

Quote by Shinozoku
They're all good, but I think the peavey will be more complex. Might also provide better flexibility for you though. You got a chance to try them out?

Well I'm not sure if I will get to try them out because right now I am planning to travel 500 miles to meet my uncle and aunt during holidays and that's the nearest city where guitar equipment is available. But if I don't get to go, then I'll have to order online and so won't be able to try out any.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Pretty sure Alf (WTFisaTab) only posts in the Pro Wrestling thread now in the Pit if at all on UG. I've considered starting an MKII thread

yea you can make one

im pretty shocked this thread still operates
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Hey guys,

I've been playing guitar for about 10 months. As a beginner I got roped into buying a spider line 6 IV 15. I've put up with it for long enough, I hate it a lot. I'm heading off to university in the fall and looking to buy a new amp and guitar.

I play mostly death metal and melodeath I.E Quo vadis, dark tranquility, wintersun, ensiferum, wolfchant, neuraxis, in flames etc... However I also enjoy playing thrash (mostly the Big 4) and classic rock.

As far as the amp goes, my price range is $300-$400. I don't really know much about equipment. I'm looking for something that gives a nice distortion sound for the range of metal I like to play. IDK whether that means getting an amp + distortion pedal, or an amp that has distortion built in or w/e. It would preferrably be good for playing at low volumes in a dorm room but able to handle gigs decently as well.

As far as guitars go my price range is $600-$900 dollars. I am currently leaning towards an Ibanez XPT700, a Jackson KE3 Kelly or basically a higher end Jackson Dinky than what I have now. Of course I'd like something that's suited towards producing a shred/metal sound.

Thanks in advance for any help and if there's any extra information you need to help me out just let me know and I will be more than willing to oblige.
Quote by Arakune
Hey guys,

I've been playing guitar for about 10 months. As a beginner I got roped into buying a spider line 6 IV 15. I've put up with it for long enough, I hate it a lot. I'm heading off to university in the fall and looking to buy a new amp and guitar.

I play mostly death metal and melodeath I.E Quo vadis, dark tranquility, wintersun, ensiferum, wolfchant, neuraxis, in flames etc... However I also enjoy playing thrash (mostly the Big 4) and classic rock.

As far as the amp goes, my price range is $300-$400. I don't really know much about equipment. I'm looking for something that gives a nice distortion sound for the range of metal I like to play. IDK whether that means getting an amp + distortion pedal, or an amp that has distortion built in or w/e. It would preferrably be good for playing at low volumes in a dorm room but able to handle gigs decently as well.

As far as guitars go my price range is $600-$900 dollars. I am currently leaning towards an Ibanez XPT700, a Jackson KE3 Kelly or basically a higher end Jackson Dinky than what I have now. Of course I'd like something that's suited towards producing a shred/metal sound.

Thanks in advance for any help and if there's any extra information you need to help me out just let me know and I will be more than willing to oblige.

i would change the prices and get a nice amp + guitar...
like:

peavey vypyr tube / peavey 6505+ 112 combo
and a LTD ec-100 for your guitar needs

you could make a new thread
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by Tunder250
i would change the prices and get a nice amp + guitar...
like:

peavey vypyr tube / peavey 6505+ 112 combo
and a LTD ec-100 for your guitar needs

you could make a new thread

I wish, but the price-point is really non-negotiable for me at this point.
Quote by Arakune
I wish, but the price-point is really non-negotiable for me at this point.

then save the money....
you don't wanna be tom the 2nd..
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by Tunder250
then save the money....
you don't wanna be tom the 2nd..

I appreciate your input however I am looking for gear that fits my description and price range, not advice on saving money.
Budget: Under £1000 english pounds :P
New or used: New preferably
Gigging or no: Not currently, plan to record more than gig
the Bands that you play: Trivium...a lot of trivium :P

Currently have a line 6 spider III. I need a new guitar because my ageing epihones higher frets are soo worn that i am starting to get dudd notes.

I've been looking at the ec-1000 LTD. One thing i dont really like is a really thin neck (ie ibanez's) i love my traditional fat baseball bat on my epiphone, i can shred faster for longer on a fat neck, as my hand hurts after a shred on a thin neck

i also have a paul allender prs
I'm not sure if you would consider this one for the "metal guitar" list considering it doesn't come put together, but Warmoth Guitars may be another one. Just saying. . Oh and also Bernie Rico Jr. guitars. Love this thread.
"Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright."
Last edited by smithmetal at Apr 30, 2011,
Quote by smithmetal
I'm not sure if you would consider this one for the "metal guitar" list considering it doesn't come put together, but Warmoth Guitars may be another one. Just saying. . Oh and also Bernie Rico Jr. guitars. Love this thread.

isnt Bernie Rico jr already in the list?

well i havent paid much attention in this thread since i stopped playing guitar... if you want, you can make another thread
feel free to add me
What made you stop playin, man?

Stupid name.

Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
isnt Bernie Rico jr already in the list?

well i havent paid much attention in this thread since i stopped playing guitar... if you want, you can make another thread

Lol, don't fix what isn't broken man. This thread is awesome. And is in no need of repair. I thank you kindly for starting it too. Also, why'd you stop playing guitar?
"Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright."
Last edited by smithmetal at May 2, 2011,
i injured my hand and then after that i just stopped and lost interest

im trying to sell all of my gear so i can build a new PC :/
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
i injured my hand and then after that i just stopped and lost interest

im trying to sell all of my gear so i can build a new PC :/

no way you cant try and get back into it like i did?

also pods are great...

http://soundcloud.com/tomdhorn/kse

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
i tried to but its just not working, plus im pretty occupied with my digital art and drawings ATM

you guys should really make a new thread because i never go to this part of the forums anymore, and i never update the list so yea
feel free to add me
shame.

Ok I will have a chat with the mods for you and get another one put up,

i reckon this is archive worthy.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb