Page 36 of 36
ethan_hanus
The BKP Guy
5,267 IQ
Quote by idiotbox919
You're certainly right about that!

I've finally finished tweaking everything now, I used the graphic EQ on my amp to take out some of the extreme lows and I'm satisfied with my tone now...so I think for at least a few weeks I'm done tone chasing!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2298596/Final.mp3

Ethan - It sounds cool, I like it....the first part of the leads are kinda piercing though it kinda evens itself out part way through, so maybe split the leads and process the first bit seperately.

The riffs pretty good, when I heard that first chord I thought it was gonna turn into "the boys are back in town"

Again if you track that nicely and get everything nicely balanced I think it could end up being a pretty cool song

Hell yeah, that's a pretty awesome tone if I don't say so myself. So how did you do tweak your own tone if this is not you playing?

Thanks, I've been playing with the riff for a while, and I'm going to expand the song, as soon as my gear is back. But I played it up at the church on the PA, and your right, the leads just cut through everything prolly need to take some of the highs out. But I got me a set of big headphones, there the ones we use for mixing up at the church, so I'll try and mix some stuff later on using these headphones, see if I can dial out the bass.
Mark G
UG Nerd
2,870 IQ
Reported, I won´t have spam in my thread. Especially spam with terrible grammar.
WTLTL 2011
Bostonrocks
UG God
7,064 IQ
What are you smokin' Mark? I don't see any spam!
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Jaekae
injured hand :(
2,758 IQ
weed is legal in netherlands
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard
Powered by CAA OD100 standard+ , Mesa 2x12
Affected by Maxon OD808, Mad Professor Deep blue delay

Mark G
UG Nerd
2,870 IQ
Quote by Bostonrocks
What are you smokin' Mark? I don't see any spam!

You don´t see it because I reported it, it was removed and the user got spanked. No one messes with this thread

Quote by Jaekae
weed is legal in netherlands

Actually it is illegal. There is just a non-enforcement policy. And no, I don´t smoke weed I don´t smoke at all actually. Yay for cancer free living!
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Mar 23, 2010,
idiotbox919
993 IQ
Quote by ethan_hanus
Hell yeah, that's a pretty awesome tone if I don't say so myself. So how did you do tweak your own tone if this is not you playing?

Thanks, I've been playing with the riff for a while, and I'm going to expand the song, as soon as my gear is back. But I played it up at the church on the PA, and your right, the leads just cut through everything prolly need to take some of the highs out. But I got me a set of big headphones, there the ones we use for mixing up at the church, so I'll try and mix some stuff later on using these headphones, see if I can dial out the bass.

haha thanks man! And it's cause the files I downloaded are just DI tracks, which are dry guitar signals. So basically, when you reamp them, you send them to your amp and it's basically like you playing but without the hassle

I can actually play that song, just nowhere near as tight as those DI tracks, so I just used them instead. Plus like I said, there was family over so I couldn't be noisy for an extended period of time!

Good news on the headphones too, they're never ideal for mixing, but certainly a lot cheaper than an equivalent quality set of monitors....and easier to store!

Oh, and good work Mark, very quick...I didn't see the spam either. And congrats on the cancer free life too, it's definately the way forwards
Guitars: PRS Custom 24, PRS EG3, PRS Santana SE, PRS Tremonti SE, ESP-LTD M-200FM

Acoustics: Maton EM225C, Washburn WD-42S, Ovation Tangent

Amps: Peavey 5150 Mk 1, Randall V2, Marshall JCM2000 DSL100

Cab: Framus FR212
Last edited by idiotbox919 at Mar 23, 2010,
Jaekae
injured hand :(
2,758 IQ
yea DI tracks are the fastest and easiest when testing tones, saves all the time of tracking and it let you find good tones that you can use for your own stuff later

ive just made an epic fail, saw some pro studio monitors at 50% sale so i got it and when it arrived now i saw it was just one speaker :p thought that speakers always came in pairs
So now i have to pay double anyway, but have tried to just use one speaker now and it is f**king amazing, sounds 100 times better than my old setup, cant wait until next one comes, will be easier to comment on mixes and tones soon
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard
Powered by CAA OD100 standard+ , Mesa 2x12
Affected by Maxon OD808, Mad Professor Deep blue delay

idiotbox919
993 IQ
Quote by Jaekae
yea DI tracks are the fastest and easiest when testing tones, saves all the time of tracking and it let you find good tones that you can use for your own stuff later

ive just made an epic fail, saw some pro studio monitors at 50% sale so i got it and when it arrived now i saw it was just one speaker :p thought that speakers always came in pairs
So now i have to pay double anyway, but have tried to just use one speaker now and it is f**king amazing, sounds 100 times better than my old setup, cant wait until next one comes, will be easier to comment on mixes and tones soon

I've almost made that mistake so many times! In fact were I to actually have money I'm sure I would have made the mistake, but my current monetary situation prevents impulse buying!

I really need some cash, got a shopping list as long as my arm at the moment!
Guitars: PRS Custom 24, PRS EG3, PRS Santana SE, PRS Tremonti SE, ESP-LTD M-200FM

ethan_hanus
The BKP Guy
5,267 IQ
Quote by ahsoo
Here's another old clip (I can't remember if I've posted this already): http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/ahsoo/music/all/play809024

Sorry for some sloppiness :P

Sounds good, don't like the reverb too much on that tone though. I think if you run a high pass on it and added a bass guitar to the mix, it would really fill it out and make it less muddy, which its not very muddy, but there is room for improvement.
kylendm
Baronboi
8,191 IQ
Quote by ahsoo
Here's another old clip (I can't remember if I've posted this already): http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/ahsoo/music/all/play809024

Sorry for some sloppiness :P

Sounds pretty good. I'd turn the guitar in the background up a little but that's just me. Throw some drums on there!

Anyone wanna crit my stuff?
http://www.netmusicians.org/?search=kylendm
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7421
Ibanez SA160
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Randall RM100
Madison Divinity II
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
H&K 4x12
idiotbox919
993 IQ
Quote by kylendm
Sounds pretty good. I'd turn the guitar in the background up a little but that's just me. Throw some drums on there!

Anyone wanna crit my stuff?
http://www.netmusicians.org/?search=kylendm

Sounds pretty cool, although I actually preferred the sound of it unboosted

The rythyms were a bit on the muddy side, but I don't think the bass is neccessarily the problem. I'm assuming thrust is some kind of focused low end boost, if so, try cutting that in about half. If I'm wrong, then take some bass out. The leads sounded nice though, I liked them. The snare roll in the middle of the solo didn't feel quite right though....

Also, I'd be interested to hear how that thing sounds with some more gain too, if you don't mind...

kylendm
Baronboi
8,191 IQ
I'll work on some stuff. Thanks man.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7421
Ibanez SA160
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Randall RM100
Madison Divinity II
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
H&K 4x12
idiotbox919
993 IQ
Quote by kylendm
Here you go. It's clip 86. Should be the first one.

http://www.netmusicians.org/index.php?section=user&value=kylendm

Man that sounds awesome...by far my favourite one so far!

I can't really pick any flaws in the guitars, the drums aren't quite to my taste. In my opinion the kick is too quiet and the crash too loud, but the guitars sound amazing!

If you ever get that thing recorded in a full band let me know...I would love to hear it!

Oh, and a somewhat off topic side point, assuming you have it EQed like you say on that website, it's set up pretty much exactly the same as my amp

Last edited by idiotbox919 at Mar 23, 2010,
kylendm
Baronboi
8,191 IQ
It's a great metal EQ I'd say. I like my mids a little higher but for some reason this amp is very mid heavy. Definitely loving it!

Thanks for the crit too.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7421
Ibanez SA160
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Randall RM100
Madison Divinity II
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
H&K 4x12
idiotbox919
993 IQ
Quote by kylendm
It's a great metal EQ I'd say. I like my mids a little higher but for some reason this amp is very mid heavy. Definitely loving it!

Thanks for the crit too.

Yeah, my amps fairly heavy in the mids department too...I have the ones on my DSL set much higher, but then again I use that for all my punkish stuff which is a fairly mids intensive genre

And you're welcome, it's always nice to hear new gear, well recorded in a decent mix...I'm really wishing I could try one of those Baron's out, even if they weren't custom made and did ship to the UK...somehow I don't think my local shop would have any

dudey5691
1,354 IQ
Worked on some new tones with the POD.

Double-tracked>Quad-tracked>Layered Quad-tracked+lead
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3940668/metal%20tone%20(Mar2010).mp3

Metallica clean+OD (via Sanitarium)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3940668/Metallica%20-%20Sanitarium%20%28cover%29.mp3

Thoughts on the tone?

I found the Sanitarium lead to be a little thin, but I think it's because I need new strings...
Last edited by dudey5691 at Mar 24, 2010,
kylendm
Baronboi
8,191 IQ
Quote by dudey5691

Thoughts on the tone?

I found the Sanitarium lead to be a little thin, but I think it's because I need new strings...

The quad sounds a lot better. Much fuller. I wasn't too fond of the lead though. It sounded a little too thin. Still good though.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7421
Ibanez SA160
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Randall RM100
Madison Divinity II
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
H&K 4x12
idiotbox919
993 IQ
Quote by Alex Vik
Hey, I just made a clip on my profile. How's it sound?

Overall, not bad....sounds a bit thin and the tracking's not tight enough but overall quite good. Is there a bass track on there? If not, then that's probably why it sounds so thin. If there is, make it louder!

Quote by dudey5691

Thoughts on the tone?

Pretty much agreeing with everything Kyle said. The quad tracked sounded way better than the double tracked and the leads were a bit thin and shrill soudnding. Try bringing some more of the lower mids in, should leave them still being able to cut through, but also give a bit more body.

Oh, and the Metallica cover, the cleans sounded really nice, the leads had the same problem....but the main issue with that is the mix. It's all kinda muddled and not coming together as a whole....I think the drums are the main problem, I don't really like the samples. I think the bass is too loud as well.

But in general, the guitars sounded good, the leads just need a touch of tweaking to get them sitting perfectly with everything.

Last edited by idiotbox919 at Mar 24, 2010,
Alex Vik
UG's Zoidberg
4,967 IQ
Quote by idiotbox919
Overall, not bad....sounds a bit thin and the tracking's not tight enough but overall quite good. Is there a bass track on there? If not, then that's probably why it sounds so thin. If there is, make it louder!

There is, but I kept finding when I turned up the bass, it would become a bit too prominent. I'll try turning it up and see how that sounds,.
idiotbox919
993 IQ
Quote by Alex Vik
There is, but I kept finding when I turned up the bass, it would become a bit too prominent. I'll try turning it up and see how that sounds,.

Cool, the low end is the hardest part of the mix to get right, I've always found.

It's particularly difficult if you don't have any good flat response monitors, I have to compare my bass heavy headphones to my no bass speakers and make a guess somewhere in between

Jango22
Instrumetal!
1,826 IQ
Need some tips on my tone;
(The track is Apocalypse on my band's myspace)
now, the recording itself is very low quality, but it's can easily be seen that my tone is lacking something. The only time you can hear only me is about :54 in when there's the guitar break. I play the second part of the break. The other guitarist's tone is tight and focused, whereas mine seems empty and loose. Any help?
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
idiotbox919
993 IQ
Quote by Jango22
Need some tips on my tone;
(The track is Apocalypse on my band's myspace)
now, the recording itself is very low quality, but it's can easily be seen that my tone is lacking something. The only time you can hear only me is about :54 in when there's the guitar break. I play the second part of the break. The other guitarist's tone is tight and focused, whereas mine seems empty and loose. Any help?

I had a listen and to be honest....before we can really give any decent advice we need a better quality recording.

Although having said that, depending on your gear already, get a boost and that'll tighten up the low end. It also sounds like your mids are scopped....bring some mids back and take some bass out. With some tweaking it could sound pretty cool...I really didn't like the other guys tone though, it was really scratchy and thin.

Anyway, start there and see how you go, but like I said, for good advice we need a good clip to start with....

Last edited by idiotbox919 at Mar 28, 2010,
SimplyBen
Call me Ben :)
4,852 IQ
I've got a track off my band's EP that we got professionally recorded up on my profile, whaddya think guys?
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

ethan_hanus
The BKP Guy
5,267 IQ
So I haven't posted in a while, been quite busy with yard work and school and such. Today I was going through some of my old MP3's and I found this one, http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/ethan_hanus/music/all/play711769

It's pretty old, when I was still using my USB mic, but I kinda want to redo it, it's a pretty simple song, don't know if I can replay that awesome lead guitar, even though the tone sucks. Hopefully I can get a better tone, since this was made using my DS-1, but I'll get back to ya'll in a few days with the new version.
Mark G
UG Nerd
2,870 IQ
I'll have a listen to recent updates soon, and I'll make that new thread as well
WTLTL 2011
idiotbox919
993 IQ
Hey guys,

had my mate round again yesterday so we did a bit of recording for a laugh, so here's our cover of "Inside of You" from Forgetting Sarah Marshall...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2298596/Inside%20of%20You.mp3

What do you guys reckon?

SimplyBen - Assuming you meant measure for measure. It sounds kinda cool, you guys have got an interesting groove. However, I thought the guitars sounded a bit thin and harsh...personally I would've taken out some mids and added a bit of bass. Apart from that it was pretty cool, I might've put some more reverb on the drums and brought the vocals up a bit, but that's just personal preference.

Oh and Ethan, look forward to a good recording of that song

Last edited by idiotbox919 at Apr 2, 2010,
GoIrish668
King of the 09'ers
2,204 IQ
Can someone rate my attempt at a GNR type tone? There's a recording in my profile named "GNR AFD Tone Test". There is no drums, or bass or anything, just me playing parts of Nightrain, Mr. Brownstone, and Sweet Child O' Mine.
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
chrism3006
Long Term GAS Sufferer
1,095 IQ
Quote by GoIrish668
Can someone rate my attempt at a GNR type tone? There's a recording in my profile named "GNR AFD Tone Test". There is no drums, or bass or anything, just me playing parts of Nightrain, Mr. Brownstone, and Sweet Child O' Mine.

There's a new thread, in the link in the post above yours, go ask there.
Gear:

Ibanez RGT220H
Schecter C1 Elite
Ibanez EWC30
Maxon OD-808
Framus Cobra
Peavey 5150 MK1 Block Letter
ENGL E530 Preamp
Mesa Boogie Standard Rectifier 4x12

Music:

http://www.myspace.com/morethanthisuk
SDSM
33 IQ
Hi guys

New to Pod Farm and came up with these 2 tones with my ESP LTD SC-607B. Please let me know what you think.

Open to advice on how to make them better.

Tone 1

Tone 2

Thanks!