Page 50 of 50
Geldin
1,677 IQ
Quote by Steve08
ANUS is all about elitists making themselves feel good about themselves by imagining themselves an enlightened, superior few.

Fix'd for ya.
Geldin
1,677 IQ
Quote by Steve08
*sexy pix*

That's fine by me. Hope it brightens your day.

Oh wait. You can't see what I'm saying.
progbass
UG Resident
1,030 IQ
Nice straw man. Please keep in mind that a select few don't represent the whole.

The Doors had many concurrent themes relating to Nietzsche present in their music, which also ran counter to the hippie generation, in which context it was a forerunner to darker music, aka metal.

As I recall, King Crimson and Blue Cheer are mentioned alongside The Doors and Black Sabbath, and I know that Camel, Yes, Gentle Giant, and other early progressive acts are recognized and celebrated by users.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Geldin
1,677 IQ
^
That was me being a twat, not trying to put up an actual argument, for the record. I'm done taking these arguments seriously now that the mods have weighed in and laid down their verdict.
Jako215
UG's Fat Frendo
1,434 IQ
Sorry it's taking so long to reply. When I say tier I mean like

1st Tier: Periphery, Tesseract, Animals As Leaders, Sikth
2nd Tier: Red Seas Fire, Monuments, Ever Forthright.
3rd Tier: Modern Day Babylon, Entities, Sithu Aye, some of the instrumental guys.

I want to get into more but I feel like I am listening to all of the listenable ones already. I've heard pretty much everything by every member of Periphery. A lot of Animals as Leaders.

And you guys have seriously never heard of a tier system for bands before?
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,710 IQ
^
So, tiers as in "First Wave" = 1st tier, describing the first few bands that "founded" the genre.
2nd tier = those who were influenced by the 1st tier. 3rd = bands that came 3rd. Etc.?

Honestly, most everyone calls that "First Wave, Second Wave, etc." Tiers more describe the skill of bands in a genre.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Nov 26, 2012,
progbass
UG Resident
1,030 IQ
We use a tier like organization in our rec thread concerning stuff like Death and black metal.
HESSIAN HAREM
Jako215
UG's Fat Frendo
1,434 IQ
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
^
So, tiers as in "First Wave" = 1st tier, describing the first few bands that "founded" the genre.
2nd tier = those who were influenced by the 1st tier. 3rd = bands that came 3rd. Etc.?

Honestly, most everyone calls that "First Wave, Second Wave, etc." Tiers more describe the skill of bands in a genre.

Kind of like a combination of that. Like 1st tier would be founders, most recognized and best skilled. Second tier would be clearly influenced by first tier but can put their own spin on it. Third would be bands that take the core of the genre but put no more into it. The lower you go the shittier the band etc etc.
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,710 IQ
Quote by Jako215
Kind of like a combination of that. Like 1st tier would be founders, most recognized and best skilled. Second tier would be clearly influenced by first tier but can put their own spin on it. Third would be bands that take the core of the genre but put no more into it. The lower you go the shittier the band etc etc.

Ok, so basically you get into the first tier by adding to and/or defining the genre. Correct?
jwizzle5786
JJ
257 IQ
I'd put Monuments in the top tier. And probably Vildjharta if their next few releases are just retreads.
piratemetalhead
2,274 IQ
I don't know how related ANUS and Dark Legions are (well, I know Dark Legions is literally on the ANUS website lol...), but the "Anusites" who used to come here and piss the fuark out of everybody, yeah they are very selective about their values in metal music. Sometimes I check out some reviews on Dark Legions and notice some fairly interesting and smart observations on music, and other times I read stuff that makes me think, man, any pretentious 14 year old with a computer, some metal cd's, and a bong could have wrote this!

And then I've read some metal articles and all the comments are just absolute trolling, so I think many ANUSites actually don't dig metal haha. But I've read a few articles on that site about social philosophy, existentialism, and nihilism that were very interesting and well written. Even if you don't dig their attitude with music, if you are interested in philosophy, they are still one of the best websites I've come across concerning nihilistic philosophy and writings. You don't have to like it, or agree with it, but I found that almost all their writing on philosophy, social condition, and culture, they've got me to think.
progbass
UG Resident
1,030 IQ
Quote by piratemetalhead
I don't know how related ANUS and Dark Legions are (well, I know Dark Legions is literally on the ANUS website lol...), but the "Anusites" who used to come here and piss the fuark out of everybody, yeah they are very selective about their values in metal music. Sometimes I check out some reviews on Dark Legions and notice some fairly interesting and smart observations on music, and other times I read stuff that makes me think, man, any pretentious 14 year old with a computer, some metal cd's, and a bong could have wrote this!

And then I've read some metal articles and all the comments are just absolute trolling, so I think many ANUSites actually don't dig metal haha. But I've read a few articles on that site about social philosophy, existentialism, and nihilism that were very interesting and well written. Even if you don't dig their attitude with music, if you are interested in philosophy, they are still one of the best websites I've come across concerning nihilistic philosophy and writings. You don't have to like it, or agree with it, but I found that almost all their writing on philosophy, social condition, and culture, they've got me to think.

This is how it starts usually.

The comments sections are trolly because they support pure unfiltered freedom of speech.
HESSIAN HAREM
Geldin
1,677 IQ
My issue with ANUS is that for every good read on there, I feel like there's so much antagonism and pretension that I'm not willing to sift through. It's been forever since I've been on, so it might have improved (or gotten worse), but I'm done with that site. The elitism is wearisome and I can't stand some users' need for excessive, unnecessary verbosity.
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd
468 IQ
Quote by Geldin
My issue with ANUS is that for every good read on there, I feel like there's so much antagonism and pretension that I'm not willing to sift through. It's been forever since I've been on, so it might have improved (or gotten worse), but I'm done with that site. The elitism is wearisome and I can't stand some users' need for excessive, unnecessary verbosity.

Just checked some of their reviews.

Stuff they like: I find this quite stimulating with it's use of phrasal-Death Metal riffs that serve as rhythmic harmonic ostrich poop lines that show the transcendental nature of humanity and how it is so much like Transylvanian Hunger.

Stuff they don't like: Shit sounds like KISS, don't listen to it.
progbass
UG Resident
1,030 IQ
I generally don't rec the review section for a few reasons...

The prose can be nauseating. This was intentional as a satire upon the name of the organization
They don't really give you much if you haven't heard the album in question

One perk that I and others before me have noticed is that you can randomly select a band on their list, see what album they are extolling, then just listen for yourself. At worst you spend an hour or less listening to B grade material. At best you get something magical. The quality, if nothing else, is consistently high tier material.
HESSIAN HAREM
piratemetalhead
2,274 IQ
Quote by progbass
This is how it starts usually.

The comments sections are trolly because they support pure unfiltered freedom of speech.

how what starts

The website introduced me to Gridlink, and they've been my favourite metal band for a while, so that's something haha. I feel like some of their "smaller" album reviews are written better than the ones displayed on their "alpha" page lol
Geldin
1,677 IQ
Quote by piratemetalhead
I feel like some of their "smaller" album reviews are written better than the ones displayed on their "alpha" page lol

That's because, like progbass said, their longer reviews tend to be written either as satire or by someone who didn't get the satire. Unfortunately, it seems like most of the folks who talk about metal didn't get let in on the joke or are exceptionally dedicated to it.
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd
468 IQ
Quote by progbass
I generally don't rec the review section for a few reasons...

The prose can be nauseating. This was intentional as a satire upon the name of the organization
They don't really give you much if you haven't heard the album in question

One perk that I and others before me have noticed is that you can randomly select a band on their list, see what album they are extolling, then just listen for yourself. At worst you spend an hour or less listening to B grade material. At best you get something magical. The quality, if nothing else, is consistently high tier material.

It feels like I'm reading someone who's got babby's first dictionary and thesaurus and went at writing a review for their favorite Metal album.

You are right about the quality of the material since I've found some pretty good stuff off their artist list.

The little reviews I could tell were satire since almost all of them call any album they dislike "arena rock" no matter what it is.
beadhangingOne
Gnomesaiyan?
1,468 IQ
Quote by progbass

I was gonna say, some of the stuff on there sounds like it was written by that Hunter Hunting-Hunt-Huntington Hendrix or whatever the **** his silly bitch-ass name is.
progbass
UG Resident
1,030 IQ
is Liturgy even still around? Did they drink the cyanide kool aid yet?
HESSIAN HAREM
progbass
UG Resident
1,030 IQ
What happened to the others? Did they masturbate and transcend this plane of existence?
HESSIAN HAREM
Steve08
Lord of Battery
390 IQ
I feel as though they were filled with such indignity after being notified of having to open for the "Jim Breuer Heavy Metal Comedy Tour" and Charred Walls of the Damned that they just, like... desintegrated.

Or something. If I had to desintegrate, it would be with class.